Read 7909 times

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Re: Other Foreigners that look guilty af when they walk by you
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 09:35:04 am »
If your posts on here are anything like you are IRL, they all had lucky escapes.

Hey, hey, it's all coolio , baby. Imma just do me and chill out with the fine ladeez. hehe Don't be stomping my style, cuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 09:45:57 am »
Well it didn't take long for another thread to attract the "how hot am I" and "I've had sex before" crowd.

Chinguetti incoming in 3,2,1...

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 09:50:27 am »
Now I don't talk to other foreigners. For me it is about bad experiences.

Way to go. Just write off all but 1% of the world's population because of one jerk.

To be fair it has happened multiple times. This was just only example that was that blatant. Most are just like let's have dinner then go back to your/my place. If someone says hi and just talks that is fine. It is the assumption that I am going to be easy. (I'm an American and we seem to have a bad reputation as being super easy)

Asking a random stranger for sex is weird. Inviting someone you like to dinner with the unstated possibility of consensual sex later is... not weird.

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 09:57:50 am »
I guess it's the same feeling when you run into someone you didn't really know that well in high school. Like why try to talk to me now when we didn't talk back then? Just cause we went to the same school? lol.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 10:27:07 am »
You guys ever experience this?

come on buddy, I don't bite. On several occassions brotha be lookin' at his phone or lookin' stoned af or guilty or something. This sh*t be weird af. Ya'll niqqaz experience this before????  :police:
I thought you were a gyopo? They don't know you are a foreigner. They probably just think you are some weird Korean grinning at them.

ESLTurtle is a parody account.
but i thought parody required wit or humour

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 10:47:23 am »
It's because they don't want to get involved in a conversation with a random person who acts like their best friend.

Exactly. If I wouldn't talk to you in the States, I'm not going to talk to you in Korea because you're a lonely foreigner and "we're in this together".

I've always found this analogy to be groundless and idiotic.   This is not back home so it's pretty much out the window how you would behave back home.  PiggyDee or sh9wntm, are you on a website called "peopleinmytown" back home where you just chat about random things?  No, you're not.  So, by your logic you shouldn't be on here.  But you are.  Why?  because you're in a minority here and like vast examples of diasporas and immigrants do around the world, you find something in common with people from your own culture. 

When you're back home do you rail against the Chinatowns or Koreatowns and all the communities that have sprung up where like cultures congregate?  Of course not.  If you're in Seoul foreigners are plentiful so saying hi to people on the streets would be odd.  But if I'm on some hike in a mountain or in the dairy aisle at my local EMart and I see someone who looks western I will acknowledge them. Maybe strike up a conversation.  I spend most of my time with Koreans, and I need some western friends to offset this.  The only way to meet them is to be proactive.  I don't work with any. It's the people that obviously avoid eye contact that are likely to be the neighbourhood social outcast or Koreaboo in my experience here. 

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 10:50:18 am »
It's the people that obviously avoid eye contact that are likely to be the neighbourhood social outcast or Koreaboo in my experience here. 

Yes, the 'What's the point of coming all the way to Korea just to hang out with foreigners?' crowd.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 11:02:50 am »
It's the people that obviously avoid eye contact that are likely to be the neighbourhood social outcast or Koreaboo in my experience here. 

Yes, the 'What's the point of coming all the way to Korea just to hang out with foreigners?' crowd.

How are you equating those two?  Saying hello to another foreigner means you JUST hang out with foreigners?  It means you don't know or hang out with Koreans?  Hmm...I don't get it.. 

Following that reasoning, what's the point then, of coming all the way to Korea, and coming on here to regularly chat with foreigners? Surely, this means you never chat with Koreans because if you engage with one group, you obviously can't socialize with the other.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 11:10:30 am »
It use to be years ago folks were so rare here than when you saw another person of non Asian color, you were just happy to meet each other.  You'd greet each other enthusiastically.  It's not to say there weren't some clicky groups back then, but it was much more infrequent.  It was usually folks in Seoul and occasionally folks in the larger metro cities (though most of those were friendly enough).  Most folks stuck together and helped each other out more even when they didn't like each other.  Then, the 2009 recession flooded Korea and a lot of older foreigners got flushed out.  A lot more younger foreigners flooded in.  Then, I started to hear more and more complaints about clickiness and folks being exclusive to their groups.  they brought high school to Korea with them. 

I do find many new teacher I meet nice enough I guess, though we don't talk for long or too much or anything political.   I do have a decade to a decade and half of age on these new young ones.  But, there seems to be no problems.  Anyways, there's a difference between being more isolated years ago and then seeing someone from a similar culture to you and being happy to meet each other.  Big difference between being back home and not wanting to say hi to everyone in the street. 

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 11:17:03 am »

How are you equating those two?  Saying hello to another foreigner means you JUST hang out with foreigners?  It means you don't know or hang out with Koreans?  Hmm...I don't get it.. 

Following that reasoning, what's the point then, of coming all the way to Korea, and coming on here to regularly chat with foreigners? Surely, this means you never chat with Koreans because if you engage with one group, you obviously can't socialize with the other.

I mean the kind of person who refuses to make eye contact with other foreigners in any situation is probably the kind of foreigner who also says 'What's the point of coming all the way to Korea just to hang out with foreigners?'

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 11:44:38 am »
Eggieguffer, if you consider making eye-contact with somebody the same as "hanging out", then I worry for you.  :wink:

I've lived most of my live in very rural places, so maybe that's the reason for my bias, but I feel that there's something seriously wrong with a person who refuses to return a quick nod/smile/hello. It literally takes less than a second, and it can have a lasting effect on the enjoyment of both their day and your own.
     I'm not talking about responding to Cable-guy kind of in-your-faceness, but not even to a nod? C'mon...

Luckily, I live in a rural area here in Korea as well, and the foreigner population is pretty friendly here.

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 11:50:49 am »
The "Never hang out with foreigners" crowd is just as insufferable as the "Only hang out with foreigners crowd."

Same with hang out spots. Sometimes it's good to go to Itaewon or Hongdae and foreigner bars and clubs. Other times it's more enjoyable to got Korean spots. Heck sometimes, it's good to go to foreigner spots with Koreans and Korean spots with foreigners.

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 11:56:03 am »
The "Never hang out with foreigners" crowd is just as insufferable as the "Only hang out with foreigners crowd."

Same with hang out spots. Sometimes it's good to go to Itaewon or Hongdae and foreigner bars and clubs. Other times it's more enjoyable to got Korean spots. Heck sometimes, it's good to go to foreigner spots with Koreans and Korean spots with foreigners.

i agree with you so goddamn hard rn my dude. especially that last bit. honestly its so fun to switch it up like that.

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2018, 12:00:47 pm »
And maybe there are those, like myself, who say hello to Koreans and non-Koreans alike, and get the "WTF?  Why are you smiling/saying hello/looking at me" and made me feel so crappy about doing it that I just gave up trying to make ANY friends here.  I understand why Koreans feel nervous when I say hello or smile, (their English my not be up to par and they're nervous to speak) but when a foreigner snubs you, that's different.  I've even gone out of my to try to make friends with the other foreigners in my building, but to no avail.  They had already formed their little cliques before I arrived. 

So I log on here for no other reason than to read peoples comments.  Even though I don't personally know any one of you, at least it makes me feel like I'm connected to something. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2018, 12:41:48 pm »
I do get the whole not wanting to hang exclusively with foreigners and mostly going to foreigner bars with other foreigners.  Haven't been to one in a long time.  But, it seemed like a sausage party.  Like 50 guys to 5 Korean chicks.  Three or four were seeing a waygook guy and one was single for the time being.  Maybe two of those were in a long term relationship and the others were just seeing this foreign guy for the moment and then when he left seeing the next foreign guy and so on and so on.  If you knew some of the language back in the day and could meet regular Korean women,you'd have met much better quality girls in my experience.  But lots has changed the last few years.  It has strangely flipped.  I am now late 30's and go to a store or to school or where ever and really get the staredown from what looks like 20 or 25 year old girls working there.  In general they seem much less shy than a decade ago where many regular girls on the street wouldn't even look at you due to social pressure I guess.  So, I think the K chick that went to the foreign bar and hung out with foreigners was more of an "outcast" in their society.  C blocking not so much nowadays either.

I guess my point was I lived in a small rural city a decade ago.  Not many foreigners around.  Three or four other guys around.  One was married , the rest of us single.  We did hang out sometimes but were somewhat anti social I guess.  Had a lot of those in the rural areas.  So, mostly did my own thing.  You still saw old ladies washing their clothes in the river, walking in the middle of the road when there were cars driving, old ladies with perms and flowery pants selling veggies on the side of the road, some folks whipping it out in public pissing in the street, some older ladies squatting it the ditch to use the bathroom (in the countryside),etc.  Still saw those behaviors from Korea's past in the country.  Not so much now.  Dating a Korean girl made you immoral apparently.  I thought it was normal for most men to like women.  Did they want me to like kids too much instead? 

Anyhow, doing stuff alone allowed me to experience things I may not have experienced when being with a group of other foreigners a decade ago.  Including a few women secretly approaching me.  Except for the married guy, I was the only one in my town getting any.  Not sure what was up with the other guys.  But whenever I went to the nearby city and hung out at the foreigner bar, I met some decent fellows and many came as a couple.  So it seemed attractive white females were off the table.  AS for the k chicks, it was a sausage party.  Was too lame.  Not sure why so many guys went there and clung together and then b!tched about things. 

It's different now.  It's cool to meet other waygooks now and then.  A couple of older married dudes can get out of the house and we hang and chat with some CU beers.  Sometimes, its good to go to Korean places if you can a foreigner out of their familiar go to the same foreigner bar routine which isn't often. I guess if you go to shop or places where the girl is staring at you with wide eyes, just go for it.  Bypass the  waygook sausage fest. 

But I mostly said hi to other waygooks when I travelled and we were happy to see each other.  Only in Seoul was it a bit different.  I found some women were happy to talk when alone or with a couple of their friends.  Guys and bigger groups less so.  I did try to say hi to everyone though.  Guess over time, I have done so less.  I still say a friendly hello sometimes or a head nod I guess.  But am a lot less likely to chat with random foreigners in the street.  I am more likely now to talk to dudes in my neighborhood I have seen around frequently enough. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:46:40 pm by hangook77 »

• sh9wntm
  • Veteran

• February 23, 2018, 03:23:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2018, 12:43:18 pm »

Exactly. If I wouldn't talk to you in the States, I'm not going to talk to you in Korea because you're a lonely foreigner and "we're in this together".

I've always found this analogy to be groundless and idiotic.   This is not back home so it's pretty much out the window how you would behave back home.  PiggyDee or sh9wntm, are you on a website called "peopleinmytown" back home where you just chat about random things?  No, you're not.  So, by your logic you shouldn't be on here.  But you are.  Why?  because you're in a minority here and like vast examples of diasporas and immigrants do around the world, you find something in common with people from your own culture. 

When you're back home do you rail against the Chinatowns or Koreatowns and all the communities that have sprung up where like cultures congregate?  Of course not.  If you're in Seoul foreigners are plentiful so saying hi to people on the streets would be odd.  But if I'm on some hike in a mountain or in the dairy aisle at my local EMart and I see someone who looks western I will acknowledge them. Maybe strike up a conversation.  I spend most of my time with Koreans, and I need some western friends to offset this.  The only way to meet them is to be proactive.  I don't work with any. It's the people that obviously avoid eye contact that are likely to be the neighbourhood social outcast or Koreaboo in my experience here.

It sounds like you've taken what I said out of context, and mixed in a lot of personal frustration. I never wrote, ignore all foreigners and be a dick. It's important to be friendly. But I find it uncomfortable when there's an entitlement to talk to or hangout with someone just because you're both in the "foreigner club". If I pass a foreigner on the street, I'm really not interested in greeting them like we're the last 2 white people on Earth.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2018, 12:53:44 pm »
So I log on here for no other reason than to read peoples comments.  Even though I don't personally know any one of you, at least it makes me feel like I'm connected to something.
Name checks out.

And maybe there are those, like myself, who say hello to Koreans and non-Koreans alike, and get the "WTF?  Why are you smiling/saying hello/looking at me" and made me feel so crappy about doing it that I just gave up trying to make ANY friends here.  I understand why Koreans feel nervous when I say hello or smile, (their English my not be up to par and they're nervous to speak) but when a foreigner snubs you, that's different.  I've even gone out of my to try to make friends with the other foreigners in my building, but to no avail.  They had already formed their little cliques before I arrived. 
I get that occasionally. It's pretty amusing. The best way of dealing with it is to crank that smile a notch or two wider each time it happens. Like so:smiley:

Occasionally I go hiking/ridge-walking up in the mountains near my town. It's fairly popular, so it gets a reasonable amount of foot traffic. While we hike, my friends and I play the "yay-or-nay" game: we politely say hello (in Korean) to everybody we pass, then tally how many people respond. Nods, grunts, and "Nehhhhh" all count as yay. We all bet on yay-to-nay ratios beforehand. Winner doesn't pay for post hike food. I like to bet at around 60-40 or 70-30 pro-yay.

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2018, 01:08:34 pm »
Eggieguffer, if you consider making eye-contact with somebody the same as "hanging out", then I worry for you.  :wink:

Obviously I don't, I said the kind of person who refuses to make contact with foreigners in unusual situations is probably also the kind of foreigner who thinks there's no point in coming to Korea and hanging out with other foreigners. It's not that difficult a concept is it?

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2018, 01:13:33 pm »

A lot of your social options depends on the job you get to begin with.

If you are the only foreigner at your school it means you will have to make extra effort just to develop even one or two basic people to interract with. And of course making extra effort comes across as desperate and offputting.

If you work somewhere with other foreigners though then you already have a source of small talk and communication to provide a basic level of human interaction.

The after-school gigs are the loneliest. Its just you and the kids all day. Oh and you get one Korean co-T who will stay in their own classroom 99% of the time. When I had that job I found myself hanging out at the water dispenser just in case a korean teacher came along that could say hello! Absolutely starved of human contact.
Catch my drift?

• ESLTurtle
  • Super Waygook

• October 25, 2017, 07:58:46 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2018, 01:16:25 pm »

They are not normal. Keep your chin up. I hope you can feel your sense of belonging soon.