Read 1622 times

E2/f6?
« on: October 17, 2018, 01:07:06 am »
Iím marrying my boyfriend soon but I wonít be applying for f6 visa yet as we donít meet the savings requirements, I want to to to Korea till then so will I be able to go on e2 visa then switch?
Also thinking of taking my boyfriends name, I live in the U.K. so itís normal to change surname but it might be weird when I go to korea with the name Kim. Also Iím concerned my ba degree certificate would have my old surname on it, will they still believe it is mine?

Re: E2/f6?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:04:43 am »
I'm not sure if it's possible to switch but I assume there's a way.
I'd recommend getting a new version of your degree if that's possible though. The visa office can be tricky to deal with. My recruiter made me get a uk passport because i had a uk degree but an irish passport. It was a bit of a hassle and delayed things.

• jupinkorea
  • Super Waygook

• June 04, 2012, 05:25:32 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:29:03 am »
It is possible to switch from an E2 to an F6, I've done it a few years back, wasn't that difficult at all :smiley:
"North Korea everything sunny all the time, always good time, beach party" Johnny Mountain

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 09:32:31 am »
You don't change your name in Korea when you marry a Korean though. I mean you could do back home if you wanted to but It seems like it's going to create problems with documents if you're looking for a job.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:34:35 am by AvecPommesFrites »
Who is here in 2019?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 11:12:56 am »
I switched E2--> F6, for the money part you can use a work contract or a housing contract to show you have the money. It doesn't strictly have to be savings, at least that's the way it was when I switched.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 11:37:47 am »
I switched E2--> F6, for the money part you can use a work contract or a housing contract to show you have the money. It doesn't strictly have to be savings, at least that's the way it was when I switched.

Good to know! Thank you.

Also, I'm getting married soon as well. Congratulations! I planned to change my name when we go to the U.S. to save ourselves from the headache of paperwork, red tape, and him having to translate so much stuff. How long are you planning to stay? If you are coming here for a long time, I'd just change all of my paperwork so everything matches before you leave. Whenever you do paperwork here or even signing up for websites, your name needs to match your I.D. 100% or it fails. Just something to think about.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 12:10:56 pm »
There's a savings requirement when converting to F6???  :huh: How much is it?

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 12:36:17 pm »
when i went to f6, they didn't ask me about savings.  they wanted to make sure i had a job and was receiving a monthly salary. 

i think i read somewhere that savings should be about 30,000,000 won but again, they didn't require that when i applied.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 12:39:31 pm »
i think i read somewhere that savings should be about 30,000,000 won but again, they didn't require that when i applied.
Do you think if I showed them my "How much savings do you have?" thread they'd consider waiving this? :laugh:

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 04:10:17 pm »
Do you think if I showed them my "How much savings do you have?" thread they'd consider waiving this? :laugh:
they might ;D i just told them my burrito food truck idea and they were said "good enough."  f6 approved

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 05:20:36 pm »
I know itís not standard to change last name in korea, but Iím in U.K. at the moment and my current surname is ridiculous and a real hassle. So I was going to change all my documents over. But my university wonít issue a degree with a new name as thatís the law here, but I feel like thatíll cause some major issues so not sure what to do.

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 01:28:55 am »
This might sund strange but have you thought about getting an AKA on your passport? My new passport has my married nme ( also Kim, like yours haha) and there is an AKA with my full maiden name on the observation page. Would that help at all?