Read 4606 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: WTF is up with 12,000won for six tomatoes?
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2020, 02:27:28 pm »
not sure what your point is. you can buy 2.5kg of potatoes for 2500 on the tesco website. and you can buy a 1.5kg bag of frozen chips for roughly the same price

• dippedinblush
  • Veteran

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2020, 08:16:34 pm »
Korean potatoes and tomatoes are really sub-sub-par.

Korean tomatoes are mealy and nasty with thick skins, green seeds and no flavour!

The white potatoes here are meant for boiling and boiling, not the fantastic baker's potatoes we get from home that are obviously meant to be baked or mashed.  I would kill for a bunch of russets or some Yukon Gold to get a proper buttery, fluffy mashed potato.

If you come from Canada (and you friends from the States obviously have these too) wouldn't you kill for ripe red beefsteak tomato (no green seeds) from the garden....OMG there is nothing better.  Add to that some wonderful Kaiser roll or freshly baked bread of your choice.....Thinly shaved black forest ham with some hot English mustard and mayo? Crispy lettuce dew drops.. Perhaps a slice or two of roast beef and some salami if you're loving life..  Generously sprinkled with fresh cracked black pepper and a few grains of sea salt...On the side some Strub's full sour Kosher dill pickles and a nice slice of old as hell Cheddar cheese (or a few cheese curds)....

****** heaven.

I forgot to add...a few dill pickle chips on the side or within the sandwich....

Lord in Heaven.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:58:43 am by dippedinblush »

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2020, 09:29:20 pm »
oh oh... sounds like it's time to come home!

When people start talking about dill pickles and real cheeses and hams... it's that time of the year: time to come home!  :angel:
incumbo studiis

• dippedinblush
  • Veteran

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2020, 12:52:29 am »
yeah baby....soon  :-*

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2020, 10:07:31 am »
Korean potatoes and tomatoes are really sub-sub-par.

Korean tomatoes are mealy and nasty with thick skins, green seeds and no flavour!

The white potatoes here are meant for boiling and boiling, not the fantastic baker's potatoes we get from home that are obviously meant to be baked or mashed.  I would kill for a bunch of russets or some Yukon Gold to get a proper buttery, fluffy mashed potato.

If you come from Canada (and you friends from the States obviously have these too) wouldn't you kill for ripe red beefsteak tomato (no green seeds) from the garden....OMG there is nothing better.  Add to that some wonderful Kaiser roll or freshly baked bread of your choice.....Thinly shaved black forest ham with some hot English mustard and mayo? Crispy lettuce dew drops.. Perhaps a slice or two of roast beef and some salami if you're loving life..  Generously sprinkled with fresh cracked black pepper and a few grains of sea salt...On the side some Strub's full sour Kosher dill pickles and a nice slice of old as hell Cheddar cheese (or a few cheese curds)....

****** heaven.

I forgot to add...a few dill pickle chips on the side or within the sandwich....

Lord in Heaven.

I did buy russet potatoes at Emart. It was only a little more expensive than the local ones.

What I find amusing is that Costco sells Cavendish french fries here. 2kg package is 4,500krw although recently it went up a bit so now over 5,000. Sometimes can be found on sale when it's 1000krw cheaper.
So that is potato that was washed, peeled, cut, pre-fried, packaged, boxed, kept frozen for weeks or months, shipped half way around the World, got hit with import tariffs etc. yet after all this they still come out cheaper than plain old local potatoes.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2020, 10:37:49 am »
Dickering over quality of white potatoes?

Go sweet potatoes. Tons more nutrition and you don't need oil and salt to taste good.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2020, 10:54:30 am »
but sweet potatoes are not delicious.

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2020, 10:55:21 am »
+1 for sweet potatoes tasting like ass.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2020, 01:10:18 pm »
They really are disgusting

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2020, 03:16:38 pm »
Tomatoes are somewhat an exotic fruit over here, still don't understand why Korea insists on calling it a vegetable, but I digress.
토마토s, have never been a part of traditional Korean cooking, otherwise they'd have a Korean name. The earliest possible encounter Korea would've had with tomatoes would've been after the first contact with westerners. Before then, Korean cuisine was pretty much what it is today.

So, it comes down to supply and demand. Koreans eat and make Korean food, most of the country is Korean so tomatoes aren't in large demand. The low demand makes it a specialty and the price goes up.

On a related note, my CT was telling me that one of the biggest misconceptions in Korea is that all farmers are poor. Sure, the labourers are, but the folks who own the title deed to the land (usually the old farmers) have quite a few wons put away... this is particularly true for the fish farmers.

I have realized that fruit and veg is ridiculously expensive here, not to mention of pretty inferior quality. I eat meat everyday, only eat meat I've cooked myself and make a massive order of meat every month, from a butcher in Itaewon. Still, I end up spending more than double what I spend on meat on fruit on vegetables every month, particularly broccoli, which is the vegetable I probably spend the most on.

Tomatoes are somewhat an exotic fruit....tomatoes are a veggie!

Before then, Korean cuisine was pretty much what it is today......so, fertilizer then, correct?

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2020, 03:37:03 pm »
Tomatoes are a fruit botaniclly, a vegetable in the culinary sense.

Fertilizer? Really?

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2020, 03:58:24 pm »
Dickering over quality of white potatoes?

Go sweet potatoes. Tons more nutrition and you don't need oil and salt to taste good.

But sweet potatoes with salt sprinkled on them are delicious.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2020, 04:14:31 pm »
Tomatoes are a fruit botaniclly, a vegetable in the culinary sense.

Fertilizer? Really?
wouldn't even bother rising to it

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2020, 06:07:26 pm »
But sweet potatoes with salt sprinkled on them are delicious.

After cooking them in the oven, I add grated cheese or a dollop of cream cheese,

I've also made fried sweet potato chips. After cooling slightly, stick them in a container, sprinkle on some salt and pepper and then give the closed container a good shake. Tasty!

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2020, 07:34:09 pm »
After cooking them in the oven, I add grated cheese or a dollop of cream cheese,

I've also made fried sweet potato chips. After cooling slightly, stick them in a container, sprinkle on some salt and pepper and then give the closed container a good shake. Tasty!

This sounds amazing. I usually just bake in the oven with olive oil brushed on and salt and pepper sprinkled on top. I'll try double baking with cheese next time, sounds so yum.