note: deleted
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:47:14 pm by #basedcowboyshirt »

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
Re: Fellow foodie attacks top Korean food critic [Baek Jong-won]
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 01:59:47 pm »
 For Makgoli and side dishes I go to Gwang Jang market.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 02:15:41 pm »
He asked a guy who makes makgeolli to do a blind taste test of different makgeollis? Did they know the brands beforehand? Seeing as its Baek's show, did they pick Baek's 12 favourite brands?

Asking a brewpub owner to just identify 12 different makgeollis would be like the guys who run Magpie to identify these 12 beers, blind,

Again, did they know the brands they were testing, and how familiar was Baek with all of them prior, being the host of the show and all. If they were brands that the pub owner carried, that'd be bloody humiliating though. hahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 02:30:04 pm »
He asked a guy who makes makgeolli to do a blind taste test of different makgeollis? Did they know the brands beforehand? Seeing as its Baek's show, did they pick Baek's 12 favourite brands?

Asking a brewpub owner to just identify 12 different makgeollis would be like the guys who run Magpie to identify these 12 beers, blind,

Might be that you're a bit ahead of me in the '99 bottle of beers on the wall' song or maybe one of us has difficulty counting, but I'm gonna disagree with you about there being 12 beers in that photo you posted.  :smiley:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 02:34:57 pm »
Might be that you're a bit ahead of me in the '99 bottle of beers on the wall' song or maybe one of us has difficulty counting, but I'm gonna disagree with you about there being 12 beers in that photo you posted.  :smiley:

You've heard of a baker's dozen?

This is a brewer's dozen.  :wink:
The joys of fauxtherhood

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 02:36:51 pm »
Touché!
 :laugh:

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 02:45:10 pm »
He must have known what the Makgeolis were going to be before filming. That just seems unrealistic. Granted I don't have a refined palate, at all, but no one is that good at tasting minor differences, surely.

The producers gave him the iggy, to portray him as a master gastronome.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 02:48:04 pm »
Baek Jong Won is a 'cant'.  A massive massive 'cant'

That is all.

'Should be read in a cockney accent'
yeah, he really seems like a massive knob

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 02:52:43 pm »
Touché!
 :laugh:

It's a deceptive photo because 24 of the items in the picture can't really be considered beer.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 02:53:42 pm »
Baek Jong Won is a 'cant'.  A massive massive 'cant'

That is all.

'Should be read in a cockney accent'
yeah, he really seems like a massive knob

+1 on both counts. He lost any credibility with me after I tried one of the sandwiches they sell at his chain of cafes.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 02:57:48 pm »
The one restaurant chain of his where you order via a self service touch screen isn't too bad for a 5000-6000 won meal. But you can tell the sauces and soups have been loaded with sugar.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 03:15:27 pm »
He must have known what the Makgeolis were going to be before filming. That just seems unrealistic. Granted I don't have a refined palate, at all, but no one is that good at tasting minor differences, surely.

The producers gave him the iggy, to portray him as a master gastronome.

Of course it is.  He's an arrogant shit, who obviously has to come out on top or nobody would watch his program.  Who wants to watch a program where the host is loser?   :laugh:  He's the 'chairman' at Yesan High School in Chungnam, and my Korean friend who works there told me that he came to talk to the teachers and told them not to do anything illegal because it would affect his brand.  Massive ballbag.

Yeah, not because breaking laws would be a bad thing! :huh:
The World Ends With You

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 03:16:55 pm »
my Korean friend who works there told me that he came to talk to the teachers and told them not to do anything illegal because it would affect his brand.  Massive ballbag.

Hahahahahaha. What a dick.

"No touching the student's bottoms, it would affect my bottom line."

Jesus, this is a top 20 thing that makes you sound like an out of touch, complete a-hole.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 03:33:16 pm »
I would much rather kick a pigeon to death on the way to school.  Then slow-cook it in a carrier bag on top of my workstation, than eat anything from Mr Baek's cafes.  And I'm a vegetarian.

I had a pigeon at the Royal Palace Resto in Jogjakarta. It was good.  :cheesy:
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 03:40:17 pm »
Baek seems like the perfect poster-child to take the fall for some big scandal in the future.

The schadenfreude is strong and waiting for this one.

It almost feels inevitable.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 07:43:17 am »
So basically, you'll eat anything covered in ghost pepper sauce?  Cutlets, pigeons, lions, anvils?

It was a roasted soy sauce pigeon. My palate is more diverse than you think, you saucy boy.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 08:33:30 am »
In Baek's defense, it should be noted that his restaurants dont promise gourmet dining, but rather a decent product at an affordable price. For example, his coffee chain is easily the cheapest.

The guy is the Guy Fieri of the Korean food scene, but I also think some people are overly harsh.

As for the stunt, it's important to take anything on reality TV with a grain of salt, one way or the other. For all we know this is a fake plot cookup.

Anyways, he doesnt deserve the hype and Im sure hes a knob in many ways, but at least he has the decency not to overcharge for his very average product.

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 08:40:55 am »
In Baek's defense, it should be noted that his restaurants dont promise gourmet dining, but rather a decent product at an affordable price. For example, his coffee chain is easily the cheapest.

The guy is the Guy Fieri of the Korean food scene, but I also think some people are overly harsh.

As for the stunt, it's important to take anything on reality TV with a grain of salt, one way or the other. For all we know this is a fake plot cookup.

Anyways, he doesnt deserve the hype and Im sure hes a knob in many ways, but at least he has the decency not to overcharge for his very average product.

Most of his franchises are not marketed as budget options. His coffee shops are, but a lot of his other stuff is just marketed as normal food.

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 09:03:59 am »
Most of his franchises are not marketed as budget options. His coffee shops are, but a lot of his other stuff is just marketed as normal food.
That's what I meant by "decent product at an affordable price" as normal food. Like Saemaeul Sikdang is average food at an average price (why anyone would eat there when so many other options in the price and quality area abound is beyond me....).

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 11:41:54 am »
Baek is just a marketer pretending to be a chef.