Read 9132 times

Re: Ford-Kavanaugh Hearing
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2018, 09:58:59 am »

If you don't like the way this is going, even if you don't care for Kavanaugh's politics, do get out and vote this November and send a message that enough is enough.

Van Jones will be calling it a "male-lash" because they're going to lose some seats over this. Liberal-centrist men are becoming disenchanted with the theatrics. I'm one of them.

#walkaway

I voted for Obama in 2008, I supported him in 2012. I still like the guy. But the unhinged left has driven me away. Enough is Enough.

And in 4-12 years it will be time for people like us to check the Republicans and the crazy-cons and go back to supporting liberals.

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2018, 10:08:44 am »

If you don't like the way this is going, even if you don't care for Kavanaugh's politics, do get out and vote this November and send a message that enough is enough.

Van Jones will be calling it a "male-lash" because they're going to lose some seats over this. Liberal-centrist men are becoming disenchanted with the theatrics. I'm one of them.

What if some compelling evidence did actually turn up in the FBI report? You seem to have made up your mind that he's innocent, even though his testimony contains parts that reasonable people without a partisan axe to grind would consider suspicious (and potentially disqualifying). You're becoming disenchanted with the theatrics? So that leads you to throw your weight behind the guy ranting about Clinton conspiracies and making a public statement that Donald Trump did more research and applied more scrutiny to this nomination than any other President in history? You'll be waiting for a return to calm rationality for a very long time.

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2018, 10:16:22 am »
Martino - this slang nonsense is a ridiculous deflection. Nobody is arguing that all slang is static and impermeable to regional / temporal variation. They are arguing, however, that a collection of slang words appearing together, which in most known contexts relate to drinking and sex, and are shared in the same publication by a group of friends -  one of whom wrote a book about his debauched high school days - probably relate to drinking and sex. I don't care that Kavanagh and his jock buddies joked about boozing and threesomes in his yearbook, but I do care that he may have lied about it under oath.

If Kavanagh were a Democratic nominee, you'd all be screaming about how an elitist Washington insider thinks he can deceive the rubes in flyover country.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:25:59 am by Andyman »

• Adel
  • Expert Waygook

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2018, 10:24:55 am »
Dishonesty and deflection make up the majority of his posts. Expect more of the same.  ;D

« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2018, 10:41:39 am »
What if some compelling evidence did actually turn up in the FBI report? You seem to have made up your mind that he's innocent, even though his testimony contains parts that reasonable people without a partisan axe to grind would consider suspicious (and potentially disqualifying). You're becoming disenchanted with the theatrics? So that leads you to throw your weight behind the guy ranting about Clinton conspiracies and making a public statement that Donald Trump did more research and applied more scrutiny to this nomination than any other President in history? You'll be waiting for a return to calm rationality for a very long time.
Go and read my posts. I have always kept an open mind about this. Things can change and the situation is fluid.

Martino - this slang nonsense is a ridiculous deflection. Nobody is arguing that all slang is static and impermeable to regional / temporal variation. They are arguing, however, that a collection of slang words appearing together, which in most known contexts relate to drinking and sex, and are shared in the same publication by a group of friends -  one of whom wrote a book about his debauched high school days - probably relate to drinking and sex. I don't care that Kavanagh and his jock buddies joked about boozing and threesomes in his yearbook, but I do care that he may have lied about it under oath.

I agree that it is much more probable those meanings are what the common defiition is, but I'm not so certain, that I'd feel comfortable in declaring him a liar. If you are certain that he is lying, then you are not part of the rational conversation.

Everything in this case should be discussed in terms of probabilities and likelihood, not certainty. If you're certain about what happened, then you are not party of the rational conversation.

As for his lying, there's a fine line between outright lying and obfuscation when dealing with "Gotcha!" questions.

• sh9wntm
  • Veteran

• February 23, 2018, 03:23:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2018, 10:53:12 am »

What if some compelling evidence did actually turn up in the FBI report? You seem to have made up your mind that he's innocent, even though his testimony contains parts that reasonable people without a partisan axe to grind would consider suspicious (and potentially disqualifying).

I mean.. He's already done six different FBI background checks. His record is as clean as whistle. But if they do find more credible evidence, that obviously changes my stance. The speech dems used towards him was pretty disrespectful and they acted like he was already guilty.

Yah he was emotional and pissed. Wouldn't you be, especially if you actually are innocent? You've worked your entire life to reach this position and then someone you don't know comes in and destroys your reputation on assault claims from 35 years ago with 0 evidence. And even if nothing comes up, a large portion of nation will always think you're a rapist because the woman is always perceived right.

« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2018, 12:42:20 pm »
All of us yanks have passed an FBI background check to get into South Korea, Kavadrunk will be fine! Easy peasy! Hopefully he knows to use a channeler for quickest results!
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

• MoneyMike
  • Super Waygook

• November 22, 2009, 03:45:15 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2018, 02:12:43 pm »
Dave, if you're going to make this thread about your personal dislike of me, please leave.

Nothing of the sort, old chap.  Just because I have a different opinion to you, doesn't make it wrong.  I wonder who spends his whole time espousing such an idea???  Dude, you need to practice what you preach.

I can't see how Grassley can ask for the FBI investigation to only be a week.  If they're investigating properly without political interference and haven't come back within that week, then surely everything is still in exactly the same position.  Meaning that the Republicans who were going to vote against confirming Kavanaugh, would still do so.

The whole investigation is kind of a joke. They can't do much in a week, everyone knows it, but they have to limit the timeframe of the investigation so that the Dems can't push it past the midterms. And the reason it's so rushed? Feinstein held the accusation until the last minute. She had it more than a month before she released it, and had she done so in a more timely manner the FBI might have gotten more time to look into this.

There's plenty of talk that they have enough votes to get Kavanaugh through (even a few Dems willing to vote for him) unless this one week long investigation finds proof of something that happened 36 years ago. Which is pretty unlikely. So Feinstein's play to push the vote past the midterms so the Dems (who have a good chance of taking the senate) could deny it might result in him being confirmed. If the FBI had a month to look into this who knows, maybe they could have dug something up.

What a clown show.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:20:13 pm by MoneyMike »

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2018, 03:04:15 pm »

Well, perhaps disenchanted liberal-centrists should keep two words uppermost in their thoughts: Merrick Garland.

You might not care for the tenor of this hearing, but at least Kav got one.

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2018, 04:10:50 pm »
One thing that bothered me about this situation was where the Senator Jeff Flake got bundled up by that woman at the elevator.

If a man had spoken to a female senator in that fashion he would have been condemned for his behaviour.  One quote that stands out is where the woman orders “look at me"!

In this type of scenario there appears to be one rule for males and one for females.

« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2018, 06:13:45 pm »
old chap

Martin.

mon cheri

We've found the cringiest foreigner in Korea. I thought it was gonna be a 'pick up artist' or a 'funny' YouTuber, but we found him right here on our very own Waygook.org.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2018, 07:55:10 pm »
One thing that bothered me about this situation was where the Senator Jeff Flake got bundled up by that woman at the elevator.

If a man had spoken to a female senator in that fashion he would have been condemned for his behaviour.  One quote that stands out is where the woman orders “look at me"!

In this type of scenario there appears to be one rule for males and one for females.
You mean the rule where powerful men who exhibit anger get called "riveting" by the President of the US and women who were assaulted scream their anguish into an elevator shaft and hope that someone gives a damn?
That's some rule.

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2018, 08:50:55 pm »
Yeah, it's not like context is irrelevant here. Let's imagine that it's a female nominee to the Supreme Court, and she'd been accused of sexually assaulting a younger boy. Some male victims of sexual assault corner a female senator in the elevator, hours before a decisive vote that could elevate the nominee to one of the country's most powerful positions for the rest of her life. I suspect that people would be far more forgiving toward those men than some random shouty guys.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2018, 09:04:11 pm »
Yeah, it's not like context is irrelevant here. Let's imagine that it's a female nominee to the Supreme Court, and she'd been accused of sexually assaulting a younger boy. Some male victims of sexual assault corner a female senator in the elevator, hours before a decisive vote that could elevate the nominee to one of the country's most powerful positions for the rest of her life. I suspect that people would be far more forgiving toward those men than some random shouty guys.

Like a Brett Kavanaugh?

I suspect if it was a different Republican Senator they would have just closed the elevator doors or stormed out. Kudos for Jeff Flake for standing there in a clearly uncomfortable position and hearing those women out. They were emotional but not violent or aggressive.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2018, 10:07:43 pm »
You know, there's something I guess I don't understand here.  I asked this before, but didn't much traction (well, any if you discount DMT's bizarre non sequiturs).

Can you picture a senator weighing out the percentages of who/what they believe, which is what they're going to do unless the FBI comes back with something definitive: "I'm 99% sure we're putting a sexual predator on the Supreme Court, because I would have to be 100% to say No."

Change the percentages as you like.  70%? 84.49%? Most Americans (in the last polls I read) believe Ford. Probably because Kavanaugh is clearly a liar: Devil's Triangle, Ralph Club, Renate Club, etc.

I'm a member of the "Get a Clue" Club.

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2018, 07:31:19 am »

You mean the rule where powerful men who exhibit anger get called "riveting" by the President of the US and women who were assaulted scream their anguish into an elevator shaft and hope that someone gives a damn?
That's some rule.

I don't like to see people being spoken to disrespectfully.  No matter what the situation.

• sh9wntm
  • Veteran

• February 23, 2018, 03:23:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2018, 07:50:20 am »
You know, there's something I guess I don't understand here.  I asked this before, but didn't much traction (well, any if you discount DMT's bizarre non sequiturs).

Can you picture a senator weighing out the percentages of who/what they believe, which is what they're going to do unless the FBI comes back with something definitive: "I'm 99% sure we're putting a sexual predator on the Supreme Court, because I would have to be 100% to say No."

Change the percentages as you like.  70%? 84.49%? Most Americans (in the last polls I read) believe Ford. Probably because Kavanaugh is clearly a liar: Devil's Triangle, Ralph Club, Renate Club, etc.

Yup, looking through someone's high school yearbook jokes seems like a productive way to determine if they'll develop to be a sexual predator. I guess the thousands of inappropriate jokes in adolescent yearbooks are indications that they're all also secretly rapists. Just assume the worst and send them to the guillotine.

Witch hunts are the hip thing to do in 2018.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:52:52 am by sh9wntm »

• Adel
  • Expert Waygook

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2018, 08:08:40 am »

Yup, looking through someone's high school yearbook jokes seems like a productive way to determine if they'll develop to be a sexual predator. I guess the thousands of inappropriate jokes in adolescent yearbooks are indications that they're all also secretly rapists. Just assume the worst and send them to the guillotine.

Witch hunts are the hip thing to do in 2018.

Well yeah, but not quite as silly as trying to produce a calendar from the 80's as exculpatory evidence with names that collaborate your accuser's testimony.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:10:36 am by Adel »

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2018, 08:16:46 am »
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/mutual-friend-ramirez-kavanaugh-anxious-come-forward-evidence-n915566

It's his e-mails....well, text messages.

Knew about the Ramirez claim before the New Yorker article came out. Lied to Congress. Perjury. It's over!

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2018, 08:35:22 am »
This has no bearing on Ford's credibility, but Kavanaugh's 3rd accuser, Swetnick, just gave an utter car crash of an interview on MSNBC. If I was on the left (and heck, part of me wonders this too), I would seriously be wondering if Avenatti wasn't secretly working for Trump.

The look on NBC's Kate Snow says it all.

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/julie-swetnick-speaks-about-alleged-behavior-by-judge-kavanaugh-1334265923929?v=railb&