Read 9137 times

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Ford-Kavanaugh Hearing
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 01:57:22 pm »
The Democrats at this hearing completely blew it.  Why did they keep hammering Kavanaugh to say he wants an FBI investigation?  Utterly meaningless, since Trump wouldn't give it to them anyway.

The only thing they should have gone after is his lies and lack of credibility.  There are several important issues with the testimony he gave (not to mention his previous lies about his time in the WH): he repeatedly said there was no entry on his calendar that aligned with Ford's claim.  That's a lie: July 1, 1982 squares with time period, "went to Timmy's for skis" and even mentions some of the same people Ford said were there. It is tragically inept that the Dems let this go by.

He falsely claimed that he had been accused of "being in a gang".  No one said that (gang-raping =/= being in a gang). No one brought this up and it just allowed him to control the narrative that he was being Swift boated.

No one asked him if he knew about Ed Whalen's bit of slander on one of his high school chums: did Whelan (his friend, BTW) or anyone approach him about this guy, or ask him who it's possible Ford might have have confused him for? How would Whelan get such information so fast? A missed opportunity.  And--surely Whelan has some questions to answer here.

No one asked him about Judge's ex-girlfriend's statement that Judge admitted he “and the other boys [took] turns having sex with a drunk woman”?  Did he (Kav) know any of those boys?

I didn't watch the whole thing, seen a bit of both parts, but Kavanaugh presented himself as exactly the kind of entitled little shit that would do exactly what he is accused of, and deny it even while watching a videotape of it (and probably getting aroused).

No respectable company in the US would hire this dude at this point (without a very thorough investigation of all the claims) but the Republicans are going to elevate him to the effing Supreme Court of the land.  It is beyond absurd.

• alisonlen
  • Newgookin

• September 01, 2017, 01:01:09 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 02:10:32 pm »
Here's something I'm genuinely curious about: What good would an FBI investigation do? I can't imagine that there would be any credible evidence remaining after over 30 years, and the only other witness to the assault has denied that it happened. What even is there left to investigate? Does Ford believe that there's credible evidence that he's assaulted other women? I'm just a little confused about why anyone seems to think an investigation would conclusively solve anything. I believe that she's telling the truth, I just don't see how there's anything that can really be proven here, unfortunately.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 02:13:35 pm »
Also, Lindsey Graham didn't come out of this hearing smelling like a rose.  He has "lost the plot" as the Brits say. 

“What you want to do is destroy this guy’s life, hold this seat open and hope you win in 2020,”

then:

“I would never do to them what you’ve done to this guy,” Graham yelled, pointing at Durbin. “This is the most unethical, sham since I’ve been in politics."

Hmmm.  I guess he doesn't remember failing to advance the nomination of Merrick Garland for 294 days, does he?

“You’re looking for a fair process you came to the wrong town at the wrong time my friend.” --Wait, what? He was talking to Kavanaugh and not Ford? Really?

He looked absolutely unhinged.

• MoneyMike
  • Super Waygook

• November 22, 2009, 03:45:15 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 02:29:50 pm »
Yes. Your strange idea salad where you tossed 20 different ideas into a single paragraph confused me with its long words.

The timing of all of this is being controlled by the Dems. Feinstein held the accusation until the very end of the confirmation process rather than when it was getting started. It's pretty blatant political gamesmanship. But yes, when the Republicans agree to hold a hearing over it you call it a sham. Okay then.

Also, I'm not sure you're aware of this, but the FBI doesn't investigate sexual assault claims. That's a state matter, rather than a federal one. I think they should do an investigation to be honest, because the outright lunacy being thrown around about this confirmation is getting a little silly. (not the accusation itself, which may well be true, but the media circus surrounding it)

:wink:

What my idea salad was insinuating was no one was going to look good out of this from the start.  Nobody comes out of this looking good, except Ford, maybe.  All she is doing is giving testimony in front of the media in an environment decided for by the Republicans, whether or not you agree there was a case to be heard or not.  It's done now.  All sides look stupid.  For someone who is supposed to be a judge, Kavanaugh came across badly as well.
 I'm sure there would have been any number of more suitable applicants that could have been confirmed more easily, then we wouldn't be subjected to this soap opera. 

This whole episode shows that with only two parties in America, when one is not in power, they do all they can to stop the other party and then when they are in power, the other party do anything to stop them.  Kind of childish really.  This is what we saw today.

Fair enough, I don't really disagree with any of that. I don't think Kavanaugh was some extreme pick though, out of the likely candidates he was pretty milquetoast.

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 02:37:58 pm »
I dunno about some of the like "being in a gang" vs. "gangbang" and whatnot. To me that just seems like technicality stuff like when people on the right being upset that Ford didn't know what 'Exculpatory' meant. That's just nitpicky stuff to me and I don't think we should read to much into stuff like that for Kavanaugh or Ford.

I think most of the stuff the Democrats ignored was probably because they knew it wouldn't really go anywhere. The July 1st date doesn't really confirm anything. Asking him about Whelan is like Republicans asking Ford who paid for her polygraph or what Feinstein told her. Whelan and Feinstein stuff should be in a separate hearing.

I don't think Kavanaugh presented himself as entitled or scummy. The man was accused of gang rape and declared "evil". Yeah, he's going to be ticked off and I think a 'human' performance was much more credible than a robotic one.

I suspect for some, no matter what Kavanaugh did or said, they'd find a reason to not like it. Same with Ford.

When I was watching it, I really thought Kavanaugh was finished. Heck, Republicans were declaring him all but sunk after Ford's testimony. He gave the speech of a lifetime.

And credit again to Ford. Regardless of what happens, she really was brave and credible and composed. I think she genuinely believes it was Kavanaugh and she didn't present any kind of agenda. Her answers all made sense and the few that didn't are easily explainable to time, trauma, and being swept up by the process.

This is a real tough call. I think it sets a terrible precedent if Kavanaugh is rejected, but it also sets a real bad one if Ford isn't believed to at least some extent. I can't for the life of me think of a third way unless some sort of great compromise is worked out.

• alisonlen
  • Newgookin

• September 01, 2017, 01:01:09 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 03:38:44 pm »
I dunno about some of the like "being in a gang" vs. "gangbang" and whatnot. To me that just seems like technicality stuff like when people on the right being upset that Ford didn't know what 'Exculpatory' meant. That's just nitpicky stuff to me and I don't think we should read to much into stuff like that for Kavanaugh or Ford.

I think most of the stuff the Democrats ignored was probably because they knew it wouldn't really go anywhere. The July 1st date doesn't really confirm anything. Asking him about Whelan is like Republicans asking Ford who paid for her polygraph or what Feinstein told her. Whelan and Feinstein stuff should be in a separate hearing.

I don't think Kavanaugh presented himself as entitled or scummy. The man was accused of gang rape and declared "evil". Yeah, he's going to be ticked off and I think a 'human' performance was much more credible than a robotic one.

I suspect for some, no matter what Kavanaugh did or said, they'd find a reason to not like it. Same with Ford.

When I was watching it, I really thought Kavanaugh was finished. Heck, Republicans were declaring him all but sunk after Ford's testimony. He gave the speech of a lifetime.

And credit again to Ford. Regardless of what happens, she really was brave and credible and composed. I think she genuinely believes it was Kavanaugh and she didn't present any kind of agenda. Her answers all made sense and the few that didn't are easily explainable to time, trauma, and being swept up by the process.

This is a real tough call. I think it sets a terrible precedent if Kavanaugh is rejected, but it also sets a real bad one if Ford isn't believed to at least some extent. I can't for the life of me think of a third way unless some sort of great compromise is worked out.

I find it hard to believe that a judge of his age is unaware of what the terms "gang rape" or "gangbang" mean. I knew what that meant when I was like 11 or 12. That combined with the disingenuous way he chose to define "Renate Alumnus" and Devil's Triangle and the way he immaturely lashed out at Democratic Senators tells me he's neither credible nor well-suited to handle a position that would require him to be non-partisan. I understand that if one is falsely accused, that can be extraordinarily emotional, but I think this is an issue where composure was required. The way he choked up over pretty much everything just struck me as manipulative. And maybe this is my bias as a working class girl coming to the fore, but he really did strike me as every entitled middle class/rich kid who's never been told no in his life throwing a fit about not getting his way. I'll probably never know for sure if he did what he's been accused of, but he still makes my skin crawl either way.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 03:57:59 pm »

I think most of the stuff the Democrats ignored was probably because they knew it wouldn't really go anywhere. The July 1st date doesn't really confirm anything. Asking him about Whelan is like Republicans asking Ford who paid for her polygraph or what Feinstein told her.
Just gonna pick you up on this.  There is nothing morally, legally or ethically wrong with getting a polygraph.  Further, it points to the truth--not indisputably, of course, but Kav believed it to be good enough for law enforcement purposes when on the bench.

However, slandering someone, accusing him of a crime, for the purpose of protecting a nomination is immoral, unethical and possibly illegal.  Whoever paid for Ford's polygraph didn't admit it was a terrible mistake and step down from their job, it's telling that Whelan has.  If Kavanaugh knew anything about it, it should be disqualifying.

And the July 1 thing does in fact confirm that Kavanaugh was not being truthful when he insisted that there were no entries that could fit the allegation.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 05:14:41 pm »
Also, Lindsey Graham didn't come out of this hearing smelling like a rose.  He has "lost the plot" as the Brits say. 

“What you want to do is destroy this guy’s life, hold this seat open and hope you win in 2020,”

then:

“I would never do to them what you’ve done to this guy,” Graham yelled, pointing at Durbin. “This is the most unethical, sham since I’ve been in politics."

Hmmm.  I guess he doesn't remember failing to advance the nomination of Merrick Garland for 294 days, does he?

“You’re looking for a fair process you came to the wrong town at the wrong time my friend.” --Wait, what? He was talking to Kavanaugh and not Ford? Really?

He looked absolutely unhinged.

And his outburst was all packaged up and e-mailed out to his supporters shortly after the hearing.

"Look at me! I'm standing up for the guy with good Christian morals!".

Absolutely shameful from Graham! A page straight out of the Trump playbook.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 07:20:19 pm »
Just re-watched the Kavanaugh portion of the hearing again and "Guilty" springs to mind. The contrast between Dr. Ford and Judge Kavanaugh was striking.

He came across as a mix of angry Clarence Thomas and Donald "Fake News" Trump.

One thing that he showed is that he cannot be impartial and fair on the bench. He went from innocent choirboy a la Fox News interview to full blown partisan world-is-out-to-get-me. The women (which included his wife) sitting behind him sure had some looks of disgust on their faces.

Brought up the Clintons. They're out to get me!
Trump winning the election. The Left hates me!
Democrats are saying such awful mean things. Why can't they just love me like the Republicans?

It was as if he had some earpiece linked directly to Trump. "Be more angry. You're not angry enough! Now, show some emotion. Cry! Cry more! I need to see your tears! Hey! I want another cheeseburger! Cry for me, Brett!"

It was of note that the Republicans changed tact with not having their "female assistant" question Kavanaugh because it looked like he might put a foot wrong during her questioning.

I think he might have answered a lot of the questions truly; not because he is innocent but because he was too drunk to remember if those events happened or not.

Without an FBI Investigation - which might reveal nothing - and the subpoenaing of Mark "I've got something to hide" Judge it proved that the Republicans have put aside ethics and morality in order to put their political footprint on the Supreme Court in order to appease Trump and his fanbase.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2018, 09:53:54 pm »
Steelrails actually began a thread. That in itself is worthy of comment.

Agree with Mr.C that the Dems could have done a better job of questioning choir boy Brett, who acted like someone had just driven away with his brand new Beemer.

Enjoyed watching little lindsey squeal like a stuck pig. The conspiracy is that this hearing shouldn't be taking place at all because a more qualified candidate, Merrick Garland, should already be a supreme court justice.

VOTE in November!

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2018, 09:55:28 pm »
The magazine of the Jesuit religious order in the United States has publicly withdrawn its endorsement of Judge Brett Kavanaugh as Supreme Court justice following testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee by the Jesuit-educated Kavanaugh and the woman accusing him of sexually assaulting her decades ago.

In an editorial posted late Thursday, America magazine said it had no special insight into whether Kavanaugh or Christine Blasey Ford is telling the truth. But it said that the nomination was no longer in the interests of the country and "should be withdrawn."

"If Senate Republicans proceed with his nomination, they will be prioritizing policy aims over a woman's report of an assault," the editors wrote. "Were he to be confirmed without this allegation being firmly disproved, it would hang over his future decisions on the Supreme Court for decades and further divide the country."

Interesting, very interesting.

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2018, 10:55:32 pm »
If a woman gets raped, and the allegations are made after 20 or 30 years, it will be more
difficult to impose these allegations because there would be little to no evidence. I still
believe that rape is a rape whether it happened 3 minutes ago, 3 days ago, or 30 years
ago. But the fact of the matter is as I said, the evidence of rape will be difficult if it goes
unreported for so many years. That is why if a woman is raped, she must report it
immediately, and if she knows the person, she must expose him. Most of all, women must
protect themselves by any means necessary to the point that if she has to kill a rapist, I
say kill him!

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2018, 05:08:28 am »
GOP = Groping Others Party
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

• kengreen
  • Expert Waygook

• July 03, 2013, 11:30:02 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2018, 05:40:08 am »
This has nothing to do with sexual abuse. Dr. Ford is clearly mentally ill, and the others are lying. Hell, one accused him of gang rape on 10 separate occasions. Yeah. Sure.

This is all about Roe v. Wade. The progressive left is terrified that it will be overturned. So they're crucifying the guy.

By Any Means Necessary.

That's the new mantra of the progressive left.

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Korealand
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2018, 06:56:41 am »
This has nothing to do with sexual abuse. Dr. Ford is clearly mentally ill, and the others are lying. Hell, one accused him of gang rape on 10 separate occasions. Yeah. Sure.

This is all about Roe v. Wade. The progressive left is terrified that it will be overturned. So they're crucifying the guy.

By Any Means Necessary.

+1

I find it amazing how naturally the left wants to rig the courts with judges who are already predispositioned to rule in their favor. 

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2018, 07:33:58 am »

By Any Means Necessary.

Mentally ill? Look in the mirror, perhaps?

• kengreen
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2018, 08:01:22 am »

By Any Means Necessary.

These are recovered memories that took thirty years to float to the surface. Even her four witnesses denied that the incident occurred. This is all an elaborate fiction to protect Roe v. Wade. You know it. I know it. We all know it. So why pretend?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:03:58 am by kengreen »

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2018, 08:10:28 am »

By Any Means Necessary.

These are recovered memories that took thirty years to float to the surface. Even her four witnesses denied that the incident occurred. This is all an elaborate fiction to protect Roe v. Wade. You know it. I know it. We all know it. So why pretend?

Are you a doctor? Where did you go to medical school? How long have you been practicing medicine?

• kengreen
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2018, 08:19:32 am »
Would you at least concede that the woman who is accusing him of gang rape on ten different occasions is full of crap? These gang rapes happened when he was a teenager at teen parties. The accuser was an adult at the time supposedly attending these parties and viewing the rapes. Again, she has no witnesses to back her up.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2018, 08:58:36 am »
Would you at least concede that the woman who is accusing him of gang rape on ten different occasions is full of crap? These gang rapes happened when he was a teenager at teen parties. The accuser was an adult at the time supposedly attending these parties and viewing the rapes. Again, she has no witnesses to back her up.

Don't change the subject. You've gone from accusing Dr. Ford to attacking one of the other woman making allegations.

I'm sure the FBI can determine if she is "full of crap".