Read 2354 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Any teachers with shaved heads?
« on: September 26, 2018, 01:53:11 pm »
Are there any teachers out there with shaved heads? What are your experiences as regards acceptability?

I think I would kinda prefer it, it looks better on me. But I have never noticed any teachers with completely bald heads in Korea before and I am wondering how my employer might react. Thoughts?
Catch my drift?

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
Re: Any teachers with shaved heads?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 06:50:47 am »
i've shaved my head for the last 3 or 4 years and haven't had any static from my school. granted, i've been at the same school for 5 years so they kinda trust me and let me do my own thing kind of.

i do occasionally grow it out because i get lazy and i have noticed i get more compliments or those "wowww, your hair looks so nice" type comments from the teachers.

if i was going to a new school or starting a new position somewhere, i would probably grow it and keep it short and neat for awhile before going back to shaving it bald.

too many blueprints & not enough architects

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 08:53:26 am »
I've known a few teachers with shaved heads, but they went in with shaved heads to begin with. In any case, they didn't have any problems.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 03:00:27 pm »
If you're bald or balding shave it and go for it.  Koreans know a lot of folks in the west go bald young.  Have fun.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 10:29:51 pm »
If you're losing your hair and want it fixed, go to Turkey and get transplants, it will cost less than your severance. Ironically before the procedure they shave your head, so you would have that look for a few weeks.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 11:20:46 pm »
I've shaved my head a few times and it's been fine.  I only did it for fun and grew it out. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• sh9wntm
  • Veteran

• February 23, 2018, 03:23:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 12:14:26 pm »
Call it the Walter White look.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 08:39:27 am »
If you're losing your hair and want it fixed, go to Turkey and get transplants, it will cost less than your severance. Ironically before the procedure they shave your head, so you would have that look for a few weeks.

DO NOT TAKE THIS ADVICE.  Do not seek the cheapest place where the job is sketchy and most of the hair will fall out.  If you want hair, seek out the best reputation places and do it there.  If you are just balding but still have hair left, you can pre treat it as well. 

I was thinning but regrew quite a bit of it.  Kind of pricey.  Weekly treatment, head massage, medicine, spray and shampoo.  But works a year on.  http://www.amici-gd.co.kr/xe/index.php?mid=main

If you are too far gone, seek out the best rep places where you know they have done quality work.  Get a cheap job and get cheap results.  Don't screw around with that.  There is not an unlimited amount of hair for transplanting if they screw it up the first time.  Just go over to Apujeong.  Mojelim and some others with good reps will fix you up if Step A above doesn't take. 

My guess is there will be some kind of baldness cure in the next 10 or 15 years or so.  So, something that fills it in in the meantime is best perhaps.

http://www.mojelim.com/english/

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 08:43:17 am »
But let me add to above, baldness is far more accepted here now than it would have been even 8 to 10 years ago.  A bald young westerner, especially out in the provinces, was almost kind of looked down on or pittied with lots of rude comments in Korean.  It has come full circle now and is much more accepted.  Just shave your head and go with it.  But if you want hair, you can research your options above (down the road).  But know even with these, the hairline will be much better but not perfect.  It may still be thin in some places on top. 

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 10:43:26 am »
I didn't go to the cheapest place in Turkey. I went to the one with the best reviews and it worked out fine for me. Have you heard of Micro FUE? It's very advanced and if you find a reputable clinic that uses this technology, then you will be minimising your risks. It's not the 1980's anymore, the technology has come on a long way. If you do your own research by looking at websites with real reviews from real people (such as RealSelf) then you will be able to make an informed decision.

I was thinning but regrew quite a bit of it.  Kind of pricey.  Weekly treatment, head massage, medicine, spray and shampoo.  But works a year on.  http://www.amici-gd.co.kr/xe/index.php?mid=main

These things don't work if you have lost your hair. For most they are a total waste of time and you said it yourself 'pricey'.  What happens to your hair if you stop the routine? Also be aware that the medicine you take will be affecting your hormones.

Just go over to Apujeong.  Mojelim and some others with good reps will fix you up if Step A above doesn't take. 

Did you actually get surgery done from a clinic there? Or do you know somebody who has? How was the language barrier? Do you realise that western hair is different to Asian hair in thickness which could make treatment here problematic? Also you will be paying 2 or 3 times more and you won't find many online reviews in English for these clinics. No thanks.

My guess is there will be some kind of baldness cure in the next 10 or 15 years or so.  So, something that fills it in in the meantime is best perhaps.

That's what they were saying 15 years ago...

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 02:14:40 pm »

I checked out the website and they perform FUE surgery at this clinic, which is less advanced than Micro FUE.

Do not seek the cheapest place where the job is sketchy and most of the hair will fall out.

You appear to know very little about the procedures. Maybe do some research before jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 02:22:50 pm »

I checked out the website and they perform FUE surgery at this clinic, which is less advanced than Micro FUE.

Do not seek the cheapest place where the job is sketchy and most of the hair will fall out.

You appear to know very little about the procedures. Maybe do some research before jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

I've been through these procedures.  How many more conclusions do I need?  You have no clue what you're talking about.  Do it in some developing country cheap hole at your own peril.  If they screw it up, good luck with recourse or having hair to do more.  Donor site is limited bucko.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 02:27:50 pm »
I didn't go to the cheapest place in Turkey. I went to the one with the best reviews and it worked out fine for me. Have you heard of Micro FUE? It's very advanced and if you find a reputable clinic that uses this technology, then you will be minimising your risks. It's not the 1980's anymore, the technology has come on a long way. If you do your own research by looking at websites with real reviews from real people (such as RealSelf) then you will be able to make an informed decision.

These things don't work if you have lost your hair. For most they are a total waste of time and you said it yourself 'pricey'.  What happens to your hair if you stop the routine? Also be aware that the medicine you take will be affecting your hormones.

Actually, all natural medicine.  My hair is regrown thicker than a year ago.  It does work.  Maybe do more than 2 minutes of research or reading someone's random internet opinion.  Others have commented on my thicker hair.  It was thinning in the back and upper back where my surgery several years ago didn't touch.  I went bald young.  (I like having hair.)  If you want to stop with the treatment, over time, I suppose your hair will thin again eventually.  You can spray rogain or another form of over the counter minoxydyl on your head and hair to keep your existing hair.  if you get lazy and do nothing, you're sol.  But the treatment will regrow hair and thicken what you have. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 05:41:30 am »
Smoking contributes to hair loss in many cases, even alcohol. (Same with acne.) But there is a strong genetic component.

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 09:09:58 am »
Yeah I'll jump in with my personal experience; medicine absolutely does regrow hair that you've lost.  As long as the follicle isn't dead you can experience some regrowth.

And just as hangook77 said, medicine like minoxidil and finasteride will certainly thicken your hair.

My advice to anyone is as soon as you start to notice hair loss/thinning then get on Finasteride as soon as possible.  At least it'll slow down balding and you'll get to keep your hair longer than nature intended lol.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 09:47:27 am »
Yeah I'll jump in with my personal experience; medicine absolutely does regrow hair that you've lost.  As long as the follicle isn't dead you can experience some regrowth.

And just as hangook77 said, medicine like minoxidil and finasteride will certainly thicken your hair.

My advice to anyone is as soon as you start to notice hair loss/thinning then get on Finasteride as soon as possible.  At least it'll slow down balding and you'll get to keep your hair longer than nature intended lol.

Yes, I believe that was my case.  Follicle had very fine baby hairs and was near the end in places, but has grown in thicker now by going through that treatment.  But I also did a transplant in Apgujeong several years ago with an emphasis on the front and some in the back top.  But it was thinning recently in the back top area and back where my natural hair was.  So, I went for this stimulus instead. 

I concur, if you are experiencing the beginning of hair loss, get on it right away.  Use medicine like minoxidil and finasteride.  Many pharmacies will sell the spray you can put into your hair every night.  No prescription needed.  But if you want to take anything internal, you need a doctor's prescription.  I did take a long time ago but stopped.  (Hence I needed this natural treatment.)  Proscar and propecia are the prescriptions.  One is cheaper becaue you cut it up yourself and keep it in ziplock bags.  One is more expensive because you don't need that. 

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 11:19:53 am »
But I also did a transplant in Apgujeong several years ago with an emphasis on the front and some in the back top.  But it was thinning recently in the back top area and back where my natural hair was.  So, I went for this stimulus instead. 

It sounds as though you may have had surgery done too early, usually male pattern baldness slows down significantly around the age of 40. So it's a risk you take that you lose more hair and you don't have enough hair left in the donor region to transplant.

That's why it's best to choose a clinic that's using the most advanced technology and despite what you may think, the place I went to in Turkey has the highest ratings of any transplant clinic and can perform surgeries that other clinics just aren't capable of.

https://www.realself.com/review/istanbul-turkey-fue-hair-transplant-maralklinik-4900-grafts#media-review-1800119-image-1195050

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 08:59:54 am »
But I also did a transplant in Apgujeong several years ago with an emphasis on the front and some in the back top.  But it was thinning recently in the back top area and back where my natural hair was.  So, I went for this stimulus instead. 

It sounds as though you may have had surgery done too early, usually male pattern baldness slows down significantly around the age of 40. So it's a risk you take that you lose more hair and you don't have enough hair left in the donor region to transplant.

That's why it's best to choose a clinic that's using the most advanced technology and despite what you may think, the place I went to in Turkey has the highest ratings of any transplant clinic and can perform surgeries that other clinics just aren't capable of.

https://www.realself.com/review/istanbul-turkey-fue-hair-transplant-maralklinik-4900-grafts#media-review-1800119-image-1195050

No, I was pretty bald already.  Gone really bad actually.  It seemed to have sped up during my first couple of eyars here.  I later read the water here can have an effect on people.  (Maybe lots of financial stress when I was younger too.  Who knows?)  But I had some small amount of hair in the upper back area and a small amount on top towards the back.  My natural hair mixed in with the transplanted hair still was not a full head of hair in those areas.  But better than before.  Several years later back area thinned more and more.  So, I tried this other treatment and it worked at thickening some of my existing hair.  My dad last summer who hadn't seen me in a few years asked if I had another transplant.  My hair looked better in the back.  As for when and if I stop this treatment, I will just resort to Rogaine or Minoxidil on my head to keep hair loss at bay.  I am still believing some type of hair restoration partial or full cure will come down the pipeline.  As for my treatment, if the hair follicle still has hair even if it has thinned to fine baby hair, it can be restored.  If you have been bald for 20 or 30 years, you're prob more out of luck. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 11:19:12 am »
anyone else not bothered about losing their hair? i haven't started yet, but it's not something that concerns me, perhaps except getting a colder head in winter

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 11:30:03 am »
anyone else not bothered about losing their hair? i haven't started yet, but it's not something that concerns me, perhaps except getting a colder head in winter

I was bothered in the beginning because even a recession of a few milimetres can totally alter your overall appearance.

But now I've come to the conclusion that its not really important. Concern with appearance is mostly just vanity. I was a handsome buck once, had my time in the sun. There's a time and season for everything.
Catch my drift?