Read 6568 times

Spitting
« on: September 19, 2018, 07:41:06 am »
Thought I'd share a possible answer I got for the completely obnoxious and repulsive spitting.

I was told that some Koreans believe that mucus is 'dirty' and needs to be expelled from the body before it causes other health problems. Another explanation was of course smoking. Now, I smoked for many years and never felt the need to spit, I only knew one guy who felt the need to spit while smoking and that wasn't massive loogies and only while he actually smoked a cigarette. Anyway, the belief goes that cancer gets trapped inside the mucus when you smoke, so spitting it out is an ingenious way to stay cancer free... Go KoScience!

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Tampa, FL
Re: Spitting
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 07:48:08 am »
The time I first noticed it was when I was walking through Hongdae, and I saw this really attractive Korean girl. She started smoking, and then immediately spit right after. I never became unattracted to someone so quickly in my life.

Aside from that, I don't typically see Koreans spitting, though I've seen some leftover spit puddles at the bus stop.
The World Ends With You

• AMDC
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2018, 08:00:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 07:55:14 am »
Does anyone actually enjoy swallowing literal mucous?

I'm not defending spitting - it's nasty. But like, if I've got a mouthful of phlegm or mucous after coughing, I'm definitely going to spit it out rather than ingest it.

If you've got issues, carry tissues  :wink:

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:59:49 am »
Does anyone actually enjoy swallowing literal mucous?

I'm not defending spitting - it's nasty. But like, if I've got a mouthful of phlegm or mucous after coughing, I'm definitely going to spit it out rather than ingest it.

I think we have all spit before. But doing it in public onto a public footpath, or anywhere that someone can see me do it is fuckin disgusting and an imposition on everyone around you. Go around the corner and do it down a drain, into a bush, into a tissue or any other million ways, if you really have to spit.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 08:04:27 am »
We already have these damn dogs pissing and crapping everywhere. Who cares about spit at that point? Not like I was going to eat off the sidewalk.

If you walk your stupid dog on the street, don't come to me whining about spit.

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 08:11:57 am »
We already have these damn dogs pissing and crapping everywhere. Who cares about spit at that point? Not like I was going to eat off the sidewalk.

Very, very rarely see dog shit on public sidewalks, sometimes in parks. No comparison. Also, most dog owners clean up after their dogs. Also dog shit has nothing to do with this topic.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 08:12:45 am »

Why stop there? Go all in for public urination and defecation. If you're not eating from the sidewalk...

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 08:15:46 am »

Very, very rarely see dog shit on public sidewalks, sometimes in parks. No comparison. Also, most dog owners clean up after their dogs. Also dog shit has nothing to do with this topic.

Dogs pee too.

It is relevant to the topic because if you complain about one thing yet engage in/support the other, you're just a blathering idiot.

Oppose both or oppose neither.

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 08:23:28 am »

You're calling man's best friend stupid? Now you've really gone too far.

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 08:24:26 am »

Dogs pee too.

It is relevant to the topic because if you complain about one thing yet engage in/support the other, you're just a blathering idiot.

If I saw someone let their dog piss on a public sidewalk I would think they are a cretin. I can say I have never seen that happen in Korea. I've seen it happen in parks and grass areas. I see people spitting everyday. The two are in no way comparable. I've also seen people piss on the side of buildings in public. But at a far, far lower frequency then spitting. That's why I probably wouldn't complain about public pissing. Because like dogs pooing and pissing, it's rare. So who cares. Also, who "supports" dogs doing that? What are you talking about?

The real issue here is that this is something you can't explain away. Koreans spit in public and it's gross and you know it. And the fact that people are talking about it hurts your feelings and makes you angry inside. So you throw out the ludicrous "Well what about dogs? Huh? They wee on the footpath too? How come you all support that?" as though this is the national dog pissing support club.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 08:28:43 am »
I saw a pigeon take a shit on the pavement the other day. If a pigeon can do it, why can't I? Once again, it's one rule for wild animals, and another for the rest of us

• Savant
  • The Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 08:31:12 am »
I saw a pigeon take a shit on the pavement the other day. If a pigeon can do it, why can't I? Once again, it's one rule for wild animals, and another for the rest of us

Unlike the UK, you don't really see pigeon shit on cars here.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:20 am »

Dogs pee too.

This is your typical strawman argument.  No one, other than yourself, mentioned dogs urinating/defecating, let alone engaging in it or supporting it. Why don't you argue the point that was made rather than creating a defence to a case no one made?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:59 am »

That's because (1) most Koreans park indoors, and (2) they also wash cars more frequently.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 08:34:11 am »
Not like I was going to eat off the sidewalk.

I live in a farming town where a lot of rice is grown, dried, and sold out to the cities. In the fall the farmers commandeer whole long stretches of sidewalk and side streets to lay out rice (and gochus, and whatever else) to dry on a mesh sheet, uncovered, in the exact places where people are spitting, dogs are crapping and pissing, ajeosshi are puking at night, collecting the exhaust of all the cars driving by, etc... so yes, in a very real sense there's a good chance that if you're eating 국산, you are eating off the sidewalk.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 08:41:21 am »

:laugh: :laugh:

EDIT: I added absolutely no value to this conversation but wow that made me laugh so hard and IDK why.

• Savant
  • The Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 08:45:50 am »

That's because (1) most Koreans park indoors, and (2) they also wash cars more frequently.

1) I would say more park outside if they can, particularly in apartment complexes.
2) This could be true.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 08:53:48 am »

Permanent ban.

Steelrails Derails every single thread on this site.

Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 08:56:53 am »
I see it all the time.

"Oh you picked up your dogs shit? I guess that spot on the sidewalk is clean now!"

I can say I have never seen that happen in Korea. I've seen it happen in parks and grass areas. I see people spitting everyday.
Dogs piss everywhere. On the road, on hydrants. On lamps. Wherever.

Because like dogs pooing and pissing, it's rare.
There aren't tons of pet dogs that are pissing in public? Have your dog piss in your yard or in your house. I don't want that crap outside on my sidewalk or street or patch or park.

The real issue here is that this is something you can't explain away. Koreans spit in public and it's gross and you know it. And the fact that people are talking about it hurts your feelings and makes you angry inside. So you throw out the ludicrous "Well what about dogs? Huh? They wee on the footpath too? How come you all support that?" as though this is the national dog pissing support club.

The real issue is people who are fine with one but not the other are a bunch of hypocrites who don't think things through.

I have no problem with the people who say a Korean individual is digusting for spitting in public if they feel the same way about pet dogs.

Pet dogs aren't wild animals.

This is your typical strawman argument.  No one, other than yourself, mentioned dogs urinating/defecating, let alone engaging in it or supporting it. Why don't you argue the point that was made rather than creating a defence to a case no one made?
It's not a strawman to point out inconsistencies in people's reasoning.

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 08:57:20 am »
People that smoke in a bus stop or in front of an apartment building entrance or even in the elevator and then GOB all over the floor are scum. They are absolute scum. it's one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in my life.  They should be removed from society.
Who is here in 2019?