Read 2676 times

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
Re: NFL
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 01:23:53 pm »
I think most fans of non-playoff teams either want a Rams-Chiefs redux or if not those teams, then either the Chargers (get Rivers a ring) or the Saints.

I'm not sure that's completely accurate. It's been my experience that, when their team is knocked out of contention, there are three types of fan:

1) They have a backup team they root for.

2) They root for whoever is playing against a team they dislike.

3) They root for the underdog.

I'm sure there are people whose backup teams are the Rams or Chiefs, or people who will root for them because they're playing against their favorite team's rival, but I'm not entirely sure the percentage of people hoping for a Rams v Chiefs Super Bowl just because they'd like to see that match up would be high enough to qualify as "most fans of non-playoff teams."

In my case, the Bears are out and my backup team (Cincinnati) didn't even come close to making the playoffs. The only team I genuinely actively dislike (Green Bay) didn't make the playoffs. The closest there is to an underdog story this postseason is the Eagles, and the combination of them knocking my Bears out and being the reigning champions really takes the edge off of their underdog status  :laugh:.

I suppose the Colt's run to end the season and make it like they did makes for a good story, but they beat the Bears the last time they made it to the Super Bowl, so I'm legally obligated to root against them. I guess that means I can root for whoever's playing them, but I don't have a burning hatred for them like I do for Green Bay, so it's just not the same. Even then, if they get knocked out in the next round, I'm right back where I started, hahaha.

That apparently leaves me out of the "most fans" camp, though, because I'm not clamoring for a Chiefs / Rams matchup, and I've always thought Rivers was a bit of a douche so I couldn't care less whether or not he gets a ring  ;D.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:25:34 pm by Mister Tim »

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 01:34:57 pm »
Normally I'd agree, but that MNF game with the Rams and Chiefs was so legendary, that I think most fans want those two teams simply because they'd love to see that kind of game.

Not only did it live up to the hype (Wasn't it 23-23 at halftime?) but the number of lead changes and the way it got better as the game went on really made it special.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 01:37:33 pm »
I agree that some fans certainly feel that way, but I'm not certain most fans care one way or the other. Consider how many people watch the Super Bowl just for the commercials.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 03:00:35 pm »
I agree that some fans certainly feel that way, but I'm not certain most fans care one way or the other. Consider how many people watch the Super Bowl just for the commercials.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They need to bring back the Bud Bowl.

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 03:17:33 pm »
they need to bring back spud mckenzie  :afro:

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2019, 12:48:52 pm »
Pats win. Boo. So much for greatest game ever, redux.

• carter1l
  • Adventurer

• June 08, 2018, 01:00:24 pm
    • Geoje
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2019, 02:53:40 pm »
Pretty sure this game will come down to how Goff plays. His defense and Gurley have really helped him this year. I'm not saying his a bad quarterback; however, I think he's just good at not throwing away a game. For the Rams to win this game aginst Brady Goff will have to have one of the better games of his life as New England will be able to pick apart that defense.

GO RAMS

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2019, 02:55:42 pm »
Go Patriots.
I watch the last few games when they make it (and the often do amiright?)

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2019, 05:28:29 am »
I went to Youtube and popping up was a "OBJ TRADED!" Headline over a picture of him and the site was NFL affiliated, so I HAD NO IDEA WHAT TEAM!!!!!!!!

So... i paused before clicking and wondered... what team is he going to? Is it one i like to watch?

I like to watch: green bay, chicago, baltimore, sometimes pittsburgh, sometimes new england, new orleans, oakland, minnesota, philly, and washington.

I DETEST the los angeles and texas teams. I dont watch tennessee, jacksonville, miami, indianapolis, atlanta, carolina, buffalo, tampa bay.

I am indifferent but intrigued by the direction of the ny teams and most recently arizona. So if OBJ went to the jets or cardinals I could join the bandwagon. I also used to be a huge san francisco fan back in the montana days so a revival is always possible...

But for the life of me i never fathomed that OBJ could be headed to one of my three all-time diehard teams:

3. Seattle (i am a vancouver kid)
2. Kansas City ( i joined the nation when joe went there, cheered gonzalez from his draft day, loved his hof induction recently)
and
1. Cleveland (i used to boo bernie kosar as a bum but heralded my browns defense: i played high school football as a tight end and defensive tackle but dreamed of being a cornerback or safety with the browns as my heroes on that side of the ball.

... and when i clicked... OMG OBJ IS A CB!!!!!!!!! :) It made my day yesterday.

Landry and OBJ played at LSU together, are the same age, and the browns receivers coach is the LSU coach of theirs from their college days!!!!

(Losing the picks was nothing but Peppers i loved so there is a huge gap yet to be filled to stop vertical assaults, but if the opposition wants to gun it out, the browns have all the weapons (especially if kareem hunt takes his punishment and stays on the straight and narrow)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 05:33:06 am by VanIslander »

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2019, 09:55:40 am »
I went to Youtube and popping up was a "OBJ TRADED!" Headline over a picture of him and the site was NFL affiliated, so I HAD NO IDEA WHAT TEAM!!!!!!!!

So... i paused before clicking and wondered... what team is he going to? Is it one i like to watch?

I like to watch: green bay, chicago, baltimore, sometimes pittsburgh, sometimes new england, new orleans, oakland, minnesota, philly, and washington.

I DETEST the los angeles and texas teams. I dont watch tennessee, jacksonville, miami, indianapolis, atlanta, carolina, buffalo, tampa bay.

I am indifferent but intrigued by the direction of the ny teams and most recently arizona. So if OBJ went to the jets or cardinals I could join the bandwagon. I also used to be a huge san francisco fan back in the montana days so a revival is always possible...

But for the life of me i never fathomed that OBJ could be headed to one of my three all-time diehard teams:

3. Seattle (i am a vancouver kid)
2. Kansas City ( i joined the nation when joe went there, cheered gonzalez from his draft day, loved his hof induction recently)
and
1. Cleveland (i used to boo bernie kosar as a bum but heralded my browns defense: i played high school football as a tight end and defensive tackle but dreamed of being a cornerback or safety with the browns as my heroes on that side of the ball.

... and when i clicked... OMG OBJ IS A CB!!!!!!!!! :) It made my day yesterday.

Landry and OBJ played at LSU together, are the same age, and the browns receivers coach is the LSU coach of theirs from their college days!!!!

(Losing the picks was nothing but Peppers i loved so there is a huge gap yet to be filled to stop vertical assaults, but if the opposition wants to gun it out, the browns have all the weapons (especially if kareem hunt takes his punishment and stays on the straight and narrow)
Bernie was a great player. The punishment he took for standing in the pocket and making great plays was incredible (and he's paying for it now). Hard to believe a Browns fan would knock Bernie.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2019, 02:15:53 pm »
Hard to believe a Browns fan would knock Bernie.
gawd... in the age of Montana, Marino and Elway... Kosar was a dink and dunker who threw some big stinkers.

As a Browns fan, let me tell you, we lost a lot of games BECAUSE of the offense (Metcalf, Slaughter, Newsome, Byner, Mack were all better offensive threats than Kosar - gawd how we pined for a better qb - Kosar was the goat back when a goat meant the sacrificed one in the blame game for losses), not, NOT because of the defense. Our defense was awesome! The Dawg Defense of Minnifield and Dixon back deep, Matthews and Perry covering the shorter routes.... I was in awe of the Browns pass defense.

Then my Browns went to Baltimore and continued the franchise's defensive excellence, with the greatest Superbowl defensive display ever. Ray Lewis was just the conductor of a symphony of perfection!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:17:33 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2019, 02:37:18 pm »
Then my Browns went to Baltimore and continued the franchise's defensive excellence, with the greatest Superbowl defensive display ever. Ray Lewis was just the conductor of a symphony of perfection!
I'm a Lions fan, but I remember when Art Modell moved the team. I remember thinking he was a complete and utter scumbag for doing so.

Browns are looking strong this upcoming season. Lions...good signings the other day, but I'm not sure if it's enough.

• carter1l
  • Adventurer

• June 08, 2018, 01:00:24 pm
    • Geoje
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2019, 07:52:31 am »
Die hard Giants fan and I actually like the OBJ trade. I think it's what the team needed to do.