Read 2195 times

The Coffee Thread
« on: August 31, 2018, 12:52:28 pm »
I decided to start this thread for people discussion/info/questions relating to coffee. I'm sure there's an older one out there, but rather than resurrect it, I figure a new one that's more up to date would be best.

Things to talk about-
Brewing at home/work
Good coffee shops
Finding good beans
Machine/device reviews and questions
Other coffee related matters.

To get things going, I'm going to drop some bombs- Starbucks beans are overroasted. 5Extracts in Hongdae is wonderful. Boo the French Press.

Anyone know where to get some good chocolate covered coffee beans?

Re: The Coffee Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 01:06:23 pm »
The real question is: Where can I buy decent creamer?

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 01:12:05 pm »
I own a French Press and a Nespresso machine.

Buy my ground coffee from Emart (Peacock's brand) for the French Press.

Use the Nespresso machine if I want a quick espresso or some ice coffee.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 01:12:47 pm »

Raid a hotel. Seriously. Check into like a Best Western and scoop as many creamers as you can.

A little search on gmarket and I came up with this. A touch expensive if you ask me. Most of the others are either flavored or non-dairy.
24 Count
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=1454895277
360 count
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=926896569

The words "SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)" are rather troubling though.....

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 01:19:01 pm »
I'm on my third Hamilton Beach machine. Metal carafe keeps things warm, and doesn't break.

I had one in Canada, for one here at Costco, and when it died, I ordered one from Amazon.

For a single cup, I use a "hand drip" filter funnel.

I have been using Kirkland Columbian, but the quality has dropped recently. Looking for good value options!

I'm a fan of the French Press, but my nomadic lifestyle makes me avoid fragile things.

Real cream or black. 

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 01:25:02 pm »
I actually hated coffee for most of my life, but recently discovered that I can tolerate cold brew. I brought back a cold brew... uh... contraption when I visited home this summer, but I need to find a place to buy beans and/or grounds here in my area. Hopefully it'll be more cost effective than buying it by the bottle or can. I'm also looking forward to seeing what effect different roasts, origins, and steep times have on the flavor. I tried a medium roast Tanzanian something-or-other when I tested out the brewer before bringing it back, but I think I want to try something South American next time.

This is the thingamajig I bought:

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 02:07:05 pm »

Raid a hotel. Seriously. Check into like a Best Western and scoop as many creamers as you can.

A little search on gmarket and I came up with this. A touch expensive if you ask me. Most of the others are either flavored or non-dairy.
24 Count
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=1454895277
360 count
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=926896569

The words "SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)" are rather troubling though.....

Thanks! I saw Coffee Mate on Coupang. It's a big brand in America and I would drink it sometimes, but it is definitely way more expensive here. *sigh*

But good news for those PSL lovers, they do sell pumpkin spice creamer on Coupang. Probably way too sweet but at least it's something!

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 02:16:05 pm »
I'm on my third Hamilton Beach machine. Metal carafe keeps things warm, and doesn't break.

I had one in Canada, for one here at Costco, and when it died, I ordered one from Amazon.

For a single cup, I use a "hand drip" filter funnel.

I have been using Kirkland Columbian, but the quality has dropped recently. Looking for good value options!

I'm a fan of the French Press, but my nomadic lifestyle makes me avoid fragile things.

Real cream or black.

I've been buying from Joe Coffee for about two years now. It's not mindblowingly good or anything, but it's miles better (to me) than any of the Kirkland brands, and better than any of the supermarket coffee here.

Here's a link. It's reasonably priced. http://minishop.gmarket.co.kr/giogi7

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 02:23:36 pm »
French Press coffee can be good, but it's up to the barista to ensure the right grind is used, the temperature is appropriate, and the length of extraction is correct. A good barista could get some terrific coffee from a French Press, but it's easy to screw it up without realising.

I use a DeLonghi espresso machine these days. I bought one for my apartment, and it was so good (and reasonably priced) that I bought one to put in the school office too. I tend to add hot water to the espresso from the machine, in order to make a longer cup of coffee.

One of the best coffees I've found in Korea is actually a 100% Robusta from Vietnam. W8,400 for a kilo of freshly ground beans. http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=817490134

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 02:31:27 pm »
The social studies teachers' room is my go to coffee room and they make some tasty pour over coffee.

As for myself, I make big pots in a very cheap coffee maker using cheap beans from a cheap store (NoBrand). I prioritize the caffeine consumption over the experience of drinking, but I enjoy good coffee too.

Also, this is quality coffee themed entertainment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdCslFcKFU

Fresh Pots!

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 02:56:46 pm »
I'm currently using my fourth Delonghi EC-155 (I think )
One seems to last for 2-3 years but it's still well worth it at 100k won. I refuse to pay a fortune for a nice Italian machine that can be bought for way less in Europe. I will buy one when we live there.
The Delonghi does the job. One can pull pretty decent shots after some experimenting with different beans and grind sizes. The milk frother works pretty well. With some experience it's easy to make lattes.
Used to buy beans from the internet but for a while now I've been buying them at Costco or Emart traders. Whatever I find on sale. Starbucks at Costco is really good. It's 18.000 when on sale for a 1.1 kilo bag. And its all arabica, unlike all the cheap coffees on the internet. Nice thick crema.
I want to try the Lavazza at traders. 20k for a kilo but havent seen it discounted yet. Perhaps when I run out next time.
I grind my beans with a Hario hand mill. Closest thing you can get to a proper burr grinder but it only costs 25k. Highly recommended to buy whole beans and grind them just before brewing coffee. Regardless of what method you are using to make coffee

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 03:06:38 pm »
I prioritize the caffeine consumption over the experience of drinking, but I enjoy good coffee too.

Yeah, at 840AM on a Tuesday? Totally agree.

7:30 going out with a friend, or it's the weekend? Gimme dat good shit!
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 03:16:47 pm »
I'm currently using my fourth Delonghi EC-155 (I think )

I grind my beans with a Hario hand mill. Closest thing you can get to a proper burr grinder but it only costs 25k. Highly recommended to buy whole beans and grind them just before brewing coffee. Regardless of what method you are using to make coffee

I was looking at hand grinders because I'd like to be able to grind my own beans, but the problem for me is the size of the grinder/receptacle versus the sheer amount of grounds required for a batch of cold brew. It'd be at it for ages before I had enough. I think I'll look around for a decent electric grinder that will do large grounds, and barring that, I suppose I'll just have to find a place to grind for me.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 03:37:01 pm »
i get my beans off gmarket. they are ok

where does everyone buy their beans?

any electronic grinder recommendations (that i can buy here)? i have one i bought online years ago, but it's extremely noisy and i wouldn't mind an upgrade

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 03:52:10 pm »

any electronic grinder recommendations (that i can buy here)? i have one i bought online years ago, but it's extremely noisy and i wouldn't mind an upgrade

Beans from here: http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=817490134

To go in this bastard: http://www.g9.co.kr/Display/VIP/Index/780066369

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 04:30:02 pm »
Yeah I get similar beans. 알콩달콩 though

That's some fancy grinder. What makes that grinder better than one half the price? Genuine question

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 09:44:44 pm »

That's some fancy grinder. What makes that grinder better than one half the price? Genuine question

i wanted a machine (to replace the previous one i had) that could make both espresso or a long coffee.  I also wanted a machine that collected the grounds rather than me needing to dispose after every cup.

I paid a lot for this machine, but much less than the websites are asking now.  TBH the best aspect of this machine is that it makes coffee i like.  I can customise it in the following ways:

How hot the water is
How fine the grind is
how much coffee it uses for 4 kinds of brew: single espresso, double espresso, small cup, double cup.
How much water it adds to each type - (it can be set to deliver the exact amount of water for each different measure every time the button is pressed)

Also the steam feature makes excellent lattes.

After a few tests, i have it set so that with the pushing of 2 buttons, i have the perfect size and strength coffee within 5 minutes of waking up.  I don't have to rinse, wash or change anything before or after (most times - the waste section needs changing every 10 or so cups)

it is much cheaper than paying for pods.  After a year or so the pod option will start to be much more expensive.

I can also add pre-ground coffee to the machine and make coffee that way. 

Seriously, once you get used to the convenience, you can never go back to anything less.

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• July 04, 2017, 05:11:57 pm
    • South of Snow
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 06:35:18 pm »
Good thread.

I love coffee. The aroma, the taste, it's all part of a wonderful way to wake up.

I have an Electrolux drip coffee maker and just got back from a trip to the Bolaven Plateau in southern Laos. They grow some of the most exquisite coffee in the world there. The climate and geography are perfect. I brought a couple of kg's home with me. Several different flavours and roasts.

Every morning I get up, grind some beans, sit back in my outrageously comfortable La-Z-Boy chair, turn on the Golf Channel and relax with a cup of life's goodness.

When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 07:30:05 pm »

i wanted a machine (to replace the previous one i had) that could make both espresso or a long coffee.  I also wanted a machine that collected the grounds rather than me needing to dispose after every cup.

I paid a lot for this machine, but much less than the websites are asking now.  TBH the best aspect of this machine is that it makes coffee i like.  I can customise it in the following ways:

How hot the water is
How fine the grind is
how much coffee it uses for 4 kinds of brew: single espresso, double espresso, small cup, double cup.
How much water it adds to each type - (it can be set to deliver the exact amount of water for each different measure every time the button is pressed)

Also the steam feature makes excellent lattes.

After a few tests, i have it set so that with the pushing of 2 buttons, i have the perfect size and strength coffee within 5 minutes of waking up.  I don't have to rinse, wash or change anything before or after (most times - the waste section needs changing every 10 or so cups)

it is much cheaper than paying for pods.  After a year or so the pod option will start to be much more expensive.

I can also add pre-ground coffee to the machine and make coffee that way. 

Seriously, once you get used to the convenience, you can never go back to anything less.
sounds like one of those things that would definitely pay for itself in the long run. be a good thing to ask for for a present!

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 08:14:58 am »

Like I said, I buy my beans from 죠커피 on Gmarket. They're always fresh, and even though they're not going to win any awards, they have a decent selection of varietals for reasonable prices. And they're always roasted one day before delivery.

Also, for a decent (not great) grinder, I recommend the Cuisinart DBM-8KR - it's cheap, relatively consistent grind, not too loud, and it's not ugly, either.

http://item.gmarket.co.kr/Item?goodscode=870916392&pos_shop_cd=SH&pos_class_cd=111111111&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_seqno=15761327312&search_keyword=%ec%bb%a4%ed%94%bc%ea%b7%b8%eb%9d%bc%ec%9d%b8%eb%8d%94

Or if you want a way better and quieter grind, you could go the hand grinder route, but nobody got time for that in the morning.