Read 1108 times

Told to teach about Kpop
« on: August 31, 2018, 08:44:01 am »
Got orders from the top.

Who else has this happened to?

I remember at public school training a Korean presenter recommended including pictures of Kpop singers in PowerPoints as a way to capture students' attention. (Which seems awkward and undignified. Pretending to like Kpop fuels the ethnocentrism / nationalism, too. Plus you don't know the lyrics or latest scandals of the singer whose picture you use, so best to avoid, which after the beginning of teaching I have always done.)

But now's an order rather than a recommendation. So what's the best way to proceed? I'm thinking about English news articles about Kpop, audio snippets of the English words within songs, and video clips of Kpop stars speaking English abroad. Anything else I'm forgetting? Advice? 

Re: Told to teach about Kpop
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 09:16:52 am »
Got orders from the top.

Who else has this happened to?

I remember at public school training a Korean presenter recommended including pictures of Kpop singers in PowerPoints as a way to capture students' attention. (Which seems awkward and undignified. Pretending to like Kpop fuels the ethnocentrism / nationalism, too. Plus you don't know the lyrics or latest scandals of the singer whose picture you use, so best to avoid, which after the beginning of teaching I have always done.)

But now's an order rather than a recommendation. So what's the best way to proceed? I'm thinking about English news articles about Kpop, audio snippets of the English words within songs, and video clips of Kpop stars speaking English abroad. Anything else I'm forgetting? Advice?

Madness. I've never used anything Korean in any of my classes, not even a picture of Psy,  and still manage to interest students. Can you imagine if you were learning French in the UK or Spanish in the US and they insisted on showing English pop videos with a few meaningless lyrics in French, or American celebrities butchering Spanish on holiday in Mexico. It's not like there's shortage of quality multi media material in English either.

It's probably not down to any concerns about the best way to learn English either, more likely government propaganda and a desire to continue spreading Korean popular culture worldwide. If Korean kids get into Western culture they're less likely to bang on about K pop to anyone who'll listen when they travel abroad.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:35:21 am by eggieguffer »

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 09:53:54 am »

It's probably not down to any concerns about the best way to learn English either, more likely government propaganda and a desire to continue spreading Korean popular culture worldwide.
yes, exactly. open any public school english textbook and most of the topics are about korean culture. i remember one called, "how do you say that in korean?", which just banged on about how great korean culture was. the only target expression in the whole lesson was "how do you say that in korean?". utterly pointless

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 10:09:31 am »

It's probably not down to any concerns about the best way to learn English either, more likely government propaganda and a desire to continue spreading Korean popular culture worldwide.
yes, exactly. open any public school english textbook and most of the topics are about korean culture. i remember one called, "how do you say that in korean?", which just banged on about how great korean culture was. the only target expression in the whole lesson was "how do you say that in korean?". utterly pointless

Yes, it doesn't make sense. If you're asking a non Korean speaker  'how do you say that in Korean?'  they won't know, and if you're asking a Korean speaker, they'd understand the question in Korean.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 10:16:44 am »
Do a lesson on the Kpop stars involved in that fatal car crash a while back because the driver fell asleep or something and none of them were wearing seat belts. Educational and informative.
Who is here in 2019?

• hightowerra
  • Waygookin

• March 03, 2017, 10:04:48 am
    • Icheon, Gyeonggi
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:51:48 am »
Do you have to teach about Kpop or just using Kpop more in your lessons?

I've found out which groups and specific idols my students like best and incorporate them into games and powerpoints all the time. Put them into the key sentences after the students learn the target language.

EX: Where is the hospital? --> Where is [so-and-so member from a group they like]?
      What's wrong? --> What's wrong with [so-and-so]?

If you have to teach specifically about kpop, then that definitely gets more difficult. I know on youtube people have made a lot of videos already like "Guess the kpop song by its english lyrics" and other such videos. You could even go through some lyrics that are incorrect and show how to correct them. Or do the opposite. Find the English translation of a song and teach from it. Them have them guess which song it is once they've learned the meaning.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 11:02:45 am »
I wonder the same thing hightowerra is wondering.

I don't understand what teaching kpop means. What would you know that the students don't already? It's a weird request.  I'm just more confused about your reaction to using Korean stuff in your lessons. Implementing Kpop or just Korean stuff in their lessons makes it relatable. Whats the point of doing a food lesson using pictures of sloppy joes and lasagna? They don't know how its tastes so they can't really describe it. I don't incorporate Korean stuff for no reason, but I definitely use it where it fits.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 11:19:54 am »
I don't think there is anything undignified about using the students' interests in class. Haha. If they are interested, they participate!

I genuinely like kpop and my students know my favorite member so I often use him in example sentences. So this week I am doing "I wish I was" so my example was "I wish I was J-hope's wife." Since I have used it so much, its just a running gag now.

Next week is "If I were an animal, I would be.." So I considered using this cringey video

And then teaching the personality traits and animals that went with it. I ended up scraping it because I have a more interesting non-kpop idea though...

You don't have to pretend to like it either. I have also used Wannaone to teach "He is the boy wearing..." and the students know I know nothing about that group so they were actually excited to teach me the members.

You could try to do the pop vs kpop lesson and end up teaching an english song. BTS Jungkook has covered Charlie Puth and Tori Kelly.. and years ago Big Bang straight up ripped off Maroon 5's This Love

Arirang has a Kpop show in English called After School Club that might be helpful....

Some kpop stars that speak English fluently are
Seventeen - Vernon and Joshua (very relevant)
BTS - RM (very relevant)
Red Velvet - Wendy (relevant)
Blackpink - Jennie and Rose (relevant)
Got7 - Jackson and Mark
Day6 - Jay
Jay Park (he is usually not kid appropriate though..)
Ailee
F(x) - Krystal and Amber
Golden Child - Bong Jaehyun

Hope some of this helps.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 11:29:44 am »

I don't understand what teaching kpop means. What would you know that the students don't already? It's a weird request.  I'm just more confused about your reaction to using Korean stuff in your lessons. Implementing Kpop or just Korean stuff in their lessons makes it relatable. Whats the point of doing a food lesson using pictures of sloppy joes and lasagna? They don't know how its tastes so they can't really describe it. I don't incorporate Korean stuff for no reason, but I definitely use it where it fits.
you could just describe what's in a lasagne - pasta, tomato sauce, beef, etc. not sure why it would come up as a key word you'd need to teach in the first place though

where does korean stuff "fit" into your lessons, though? i can't think of many situations where you couldn't use something english-related instead.

if you learn french, you learn about about french culture and music. same with spanish, etc. can't imagine my old french teacher teaching french but using pictures of backstreet boys or the spice girls every other lesson - or why i would expect her too.

i would honestly just smile, nod, and ignore the whole thing

if they pressed you why you're not following their instructions, just say you don't know anything about kpop and therefore wouldn't feel comfortable using it in class

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 12:02:42 pm »

you could just describe what's in a lasagne - pasta, tomato sauce, beef, etc. not sure why it would come up as a key word you'd need to teach in the first place though

where does korean stuff "fit" into your lessons, though? i can't think of many situations where you couldn't use something english-related instead.

if you learn french, you learn about about french culture and music. same with spanish, etc. can't imagine my old french teacher teaching french but using pictures of backstreet boys or the spice girls every other lesson - or why i would expect her too.

i would honestly just smile, nod, and ignore the whole thing

if they pressed you why you're not following their instructions, just say you don't know anything about kpop and therefore wouldn't feel comfortable using it in class

All you have to do is teach one English adjective for 느끼하다 and they can use it to describe every non Korean food they have for the rest of their lives.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 12:55:14 pm »
All you have to do is teach one English adjective for 느끼하다 and they can use it to describe every non Korean food they have for the rest of their lives.

Haha never a truer word spoken  :laugh:

• AMDC
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2018, 08:00:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 01:25:08 pm »
If you're hesitant to fuel a nationalist circle jerk, why don't you teach about the history of Hip Hop instead, and just finish it with how/when K-pop entered the fold?

That way, you're still technically teaching Kpop, you're just including it in the general discussion of pop around the world.

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 09:50:42 pm »
Most teachers in the Korean public school system have never taught anywhere else and certainly nowhere in Europe. They are mostly brainwashed into thinking that teaching English through the country of origin's culture is normal because kids can't relate to anything else. This is because the Korean government has a specific political agenda.

If they had any experience of teaching in other countries or even any experience of teacher training outside the Korean bubble they'd realise that's a pretty weird concept in most of the world.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:12:38 pm by eggieguffer »

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 07:51:54 am »
I haven't used it myself but a fun lesson you could try would be Apop vs Kpop. The students get a sample of the lyrics for either a western pop song or a kpop song that's been translated. They try to guess whether it's apop or kpop then you reveal the answer and watch a bit of the music video. I'm sure you could find this game on waygook but it would only work as an extra lesson as it doesn't fit with any of the lessons in the book.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 03:51:36 am »
I would rather teach them about Motown.

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 09:26:41 am »
The 2019 Art and Design drawing test for Seoul Women’s University’s Ceramics & Fiber Arts major was to “draw a craft object based on your image of BTS.”

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190113000176

BTS has appeared in many high-stakes exams in recent years, including Seoul National University’s 2018 essay writing and KBS’ open recruitment exam.