Read 981 times

To re-sign or resign.... that is the question
« on: August 20, 2018, 05:18:33 pm »
Honestly, I don't know what to do.  I've been asked by my school to re-sign and I know I have a good gig (great kids, fun CT's etc) but my issue is, I feel super isolated even though I do live in a 'city'.  I've tried to make friends since I've been here, but most are half my age (no one in their 20's wants to hang out with a broad in her 40's...) and the rest had already formed their 'cliques' before I arrived.  I am NOT outdoorsy in the least and where I've been placed is a haven for the 'outdoorsy' type. 

The clock is ticking since I now have only 8 days left to let my school or the PoE know if I want to re-sign or resign. (I'm in a PoE where we have to give 6 months notice)  And TBH, I'm glad school starts tomorrow.  These past 10 days (vacation) have been boring AF!  I know I'm being a bawl baby pissy pants and others would LOVE to be in my position.  Seriously, I don't know what to do. 

TL;DR- I'm being a sniveling whiny b*tch 

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
Re: To re-sign or resign.... that is the question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 07:55:36 pm »
Haha don't say that about yourself, you don't come across that way at all  :smiley: All gotta vent sometimes!

I'd reckon that if you really can't make up your mind about it, then sticking it out another year is probably the best idea? If you are enjoying your work then you might as well take the opportunity of earning some nice bank and using the ample deskwarming time etc for other hobbies and interests. Also if you're doing another year it means a lot less lesson planning to do as you can reuse all your old lesson plans! Although if you have a reason to go home, to continue with a career you took a break from, to undertake some further study etc, then perhaps calling it quits is your best option?

Or ... flip a coin. If you're instinctively not happy with the result, then you know to do the opposite  :P
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 07:49:14 am »
i'd say stick it out another year.  hopefully by then you'll have figured out if you want to stay longer or not.  feeling isolated sucks though.  i got my wife and kid but it's not the same as having friends around.  i play a lot of video games online and that helps with the isolation.  between the ps4, fantasy football and side art projects i just try to fill the time in.  especially now since i have to change shit filled diapers and somehow managed to get peed on twice.  but i'd say ride it out.  take the next year to really figure out your next step. :smiley:

i also have a hard time connecting with the younger teachers that come out here.  different generations.   :undecided:

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 07:55:16 am »
If you feel the need not to re-sign for another year because you feel lonely, then do not re-sign.
However if you do re-sign, try to go out to Itaewon more often and meet people that you can
hang out with that have something in common with you.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 08:05:22 am »
If you feel the need not to re-sign for another year because you feel lonely, then do not re-sign.
However if you do re-sign, try to go out to Itaewon more often and meet people that you can

If it didn't include an hour and a half flight, I would.  ha ha ha  :laugh: TBH, if I lived in a larger city, then I'd be much more inclined to head out and do things.  But as such, I'm over an hours drive to an area where there are at least a few things to do.  My city of 150,000 is pretty darn quiet.  **sigh**

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 10:30:46 am »
If the location is the problem, how about asking for a transfer to a bigger city? Or re-applying to teach for another Office of Education somewhere?
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 11:07:38 am »
If the location is the problem, how about asking for a transfer to a bigger city? Or re-applying to teach for another Office of Education somewhere?

I've thought about it, believe me!!, buuuuut (yes, but) my main school (Hell, even my country school) are a blessing to work for.  The kids are incredibly well behaved, my CT's are a dream to work with, I'm invited to attend all functions in and out of school etc.)  I was even informed by my main teacher that the faculty discussed my re-signing before I was even given notice.  I was also told that my main school is looking into trying to make me 'full time' instead of having me travel 2 days a week to my country school. 

I have it made when it comes to teaching here in Korea.  The crap I read about what other teachers have to go through....   

So here I am, being a bawl baby pissy pants about my lack of a social life, when other teachers are counting down the seconds to when they can get the Hell outta Dodge!  I'm giving myself until tomorrow, end of day, to make my final decision. 

TL;DR: Still being a whinny indecisive little b*tch    :sad:

• daktariB
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2018, 07:12:24 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 12:10:49 pm »
Honestly, I would suggest a change of scenery! I have been in many environments where age was the last thing on people's minds when finding people to hangout. And I started my ESL Journey in China when I was 22, I never wanted to leave but life had other plans as internet kinda...well censored internet and video games led me to Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Vietnam, and now Korea. My friend circle changed drastically wherever I went to other 20 year olds and even 40-50 year olds who would regularly hang out with 20 year olds and we would have an awesome awesome time.

Honestly, you should hop scotch to another country like Vietnam or Thailand and snag a teaching job over there and just expand your social circle when you get there. It'll be a breath of fresh air and you can always come back to Korea if you don't dig it. If you don't mind internet censorship and VPN hassles then China in a 3rd tier city is absolutely crazy and super fun with the right attitude. Pollution problems? Nope, that is ninja mask day with government sponsored poison fog! But forreal, It was super safe and felt like the wild west at the same time, paradox I know, but gaddamn that place is fun, and my craziest nights were when the whole group of friends we had which had age ranges from early 20s to 55 all got together to go crazy with baijou, bad (honestly super great) decisions and enjoy the fact that the cost of living was cheaper than Thailand and likely 1/5th the cost of being in Korea. No joke, 3rd tier chinese cities are where it's at, hidden gem for sure.  I made significantly less money than I do in Korea, but with the cost of living there I ended up with $10k USD while simultaneously trying to spend as much as possible every weekend and traveling as much as I could. 3rd Tier Chinese cities are super underrated, you'll find close friends there, but despite spending less time in Thailand and Vietnam, I know the expat community is super strong in both areas, you are bound to find yourself having a great time no matter where you go.

TL;DR: Go to another country! Expand your social circle globally and admit you are a citizen of the planet earth! You have so much more to see and experience :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:16:42 pm by daktariB »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 02:54:54 pm »

If it didn't include an hour and a half flight, I would.  ha ha ha  :laugh: TBH, if I lived in a larger city, then I'd be much more inclined to head out and do things.  But as such, I'm over an hours drive to an area where there are at least a few things to do.  My city of 150,000 is pretty darn quiet.  **sigh**

Lucky you're in a place that big.
I'm currently in a town of what seems like 1,000 people or less. It takes me about a 3 hour round trip, to go get groceries. I can get some things here but, the supermarkets are super tiny, and there isn't much choice. :\
It's a boring place, but everyone is friendly, and I love the schools I work at.