Read 679 times

Looking to Change Work Location
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:28:30 am »
Hi all!

So I'm currently working in Sejong City at a Public Middle School, and I HATE IT!
The kids are super disrespectful, and it's been a challenge to find ways to engage them and get them motivated to work in class. The materials I'm provided with aren't the greatest either. Teaching by the textbook is a real challenge. Plus my CTs are literally no help. I'm expected to come up with the lessons and materials all on my own
(I'm not the most creative person-so this is difficult for me).

My city is also like the most boring place to live. I'm contracted with the POE via EPIK. However, if I want to relocated and change schools, then I have to go through the entire process of reapplying with EPIK
(and that's not gonna happen).

So I guess my question is, is it worth it to change from public school to a hagwon or a private school? Does anyone know of any helpful sties for me to use in my search? Has anyone else gone through a similar experience? How did you handle it? TIA for your help and information   ;D

Re: Looking to Change Work Location
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:35:42 am »
I think that's just urban schools in general. You're teaching material that's way below their level. I moved from a public school in Sejong City to an rural school outside it and love my students - they're super motivated and hardworking. My students last year, while adorable, all attended hagwons and knew all of this shit already.

As for the CTs - that's just life. If they're not helping with translation and discipline that's annoying, but I generally find we can make better lesson plans for conversational classes than they can, plus it's what we're here for. If you have the textbook, the content and what to make is already there. Coming up with activities is difficult your first year. Some common ones that work well are "find your partner" matching cards, survey games, running sentences, and sleeping elephants.

Why not reapply with EPIK? I mean filling out the application is annoying but it's not the worst thing in the world.