Read 9086 times

Re: Is remaining childless irresponsible? Elon Musk on Demographics
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2018, 10:34:17 am »
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46118103

An article detailing what we already knew. Namely developed countries are having very few babies. Apparently 68 is going to be too low an age to retire in the UK because of this?

Is the welfare state sustainable? I don't think so. The number of people in work is going to shrink drastically.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2018, 11:44:09 am »
AI / automation / technology / improved efficiency will shrink the work week. People will get more leisure time. (Which is a good thing, obviously.)

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2018, 12:46:11 pm »
AI / automation / technology / improved efficiency will shrink the work week. People will get more leisure time. (Which is a good thing, obviously.)
Unless it gives them more time to nurse a grievance they decide to settle with a gun.

« Reply #184 on: February 07, 2019, 09:49:03 pm »
LOL at some of the comments in this thread. If it was so selfish to have kids have you ever gotten in your parents faces and screamed at them "why did you selfish sods have me?"

I know its inconvenient to have kids and they entail responsibility (hence the thread title) but without them it sounds like developed countries and all the cultures associated with them will disappear.

And of course the future will be a dark place because there are no children. Self fulfilling prophecy.

Actually, I have yelled that at my mother multiple times, one of my brothers has too.
Her reason was none other than: Because I wanted kids.

Viola! We now have an Indian man wanting to sue his parents for having him.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47154287

The consensus on the other forum is that this guy is acting like a entitled, spoiled teenager that needs a good slap.

« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2019, 08:59:16 pm »
  This question about underpopulation and whether it's irresponsible to not have children isn't new. In fact it is an ancient one. Octavian, after defeating his enemies and becoming the emperor Augustus, took great pains to rebuild the state, stiffen traditional Roman values and virtues, and specifically, family values. He gave subsidies and privileges to Roman citizens who got married and fathered Roman children. Many Romans had been killed during the Civil Wars of the previous hundred years, and Augustus saw there weren't enough Romans left to rule the vast empire. Augustus felt that Roman men and women who deliberately avoided starting families were irresponsible-betraying the Roman state. Hence, he would agree with Elon Musk. Later on, Emperor Vespasian, who died in 79 A.D., perceiving that the ruling class-the old aristocracy- had far too few members, decided a better strategy would be to add widen the circle of privilege through marriage and the granting of higher ranks. By this time all Italians, and a few foreigners were now citizens. So Rome decided to deal with underpopulation by (a) granting financial subsidies and privileges to citizens willing to start families, (b) extending the franchise to all free Italians, even non-Romans, and (c), letting some people of other nations and races become citizens. The long period of internal peace contributed to significant population increase. Hence, the question asked and the opinion of Elon Musk is not a new one.