Read 40116 times

Re: Summer Olympics
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 07:12:49 am »
Great idea! 

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 02:15:45 pm »
Thanks for sharing these materials. I think my kids are going to love the jeopardy game.

I've tinkered with the jeopardy game so that the roses and medals now disappear after you click on them (and after you return to that slide after the hyperlinked question.) I hope this helps.

To do this, I gave each picture an exit animation, right clicked the entry in the animations panel, then in timing clicked triggers and set the animation to take place on click of the relevant picture.

Thanks again.

• kcpark622
  • Explorer

• October 24, 2010, 05:45:59 pm
    • seoul, korea
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 06:31:51 pm »
are you doing some sort of commentary activity?(i can't download your link either. haha)

• katsy3g4
  • Veteran

• August 20, 2011, 05:14:36 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Figure Skating Lesson, "What Do You Look Like?"
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 02:51:38 pm »
For my second winter camp week, our theme is winter Olympic sports. So, I used figure skating to teach the language focus, "What do you look like?" since figure skaters wear very showy costumes. This power point has some info on figure skating and Kim Yuna, vocab practice, and two activity/games. The first activity in the power point is to be done with the handout attached below. The students must draw what the teacher says on the hand out and then see if them can guess who the mystery person is. I tried this lesson out with my small after school class and they really got a kick out of it. I hope it helps someone out there!

Here is a link to the song, "Do Your Ears Hang Low?" in case anyone wants to use the song as a warm-up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzPt3Y2E_Rc

And here is a video of some comical figure skating (it's a bit long, though) in case anyone wants to show this to stimulate interest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbhO_z4Eaf0

• katsy3g4
  • Veteran

• August 20, 2011, 05:14:36 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Speed Skating Lesson, To~From, Directions
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 03:11:12 pm »
To go along with the winter Olympic sports theme in my winter camp, I made a speed skating lesson with the language focus of to~from and directions. There is language focus practice, vocab, and two activities. The second activity/game is in Korean so here's an explanation of the game:

The students all stand up and face the front of the room. The teacher calls out directions like, "Left!" The students then all have to turn to their left. If anyone hesitates of makes a mistake, they are out and have to sit down. The directions can get harder and the teacher can give a serious of directions, such as, "Left, right, back, forward, right!" and the students must do all the actions in order, without hesitation. The last person (or last couple people) standing is the winner. For the directions "forward" and "back" the students should just take a step forward and a step back.

I've also attached the worksheet that goes along with the dialogue activity.

Here is a speed skating video if you want to show this to generate interest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1EeaadcHlM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b-B-Z19M6Y (in Korean)

Hope this helps someone!

Re: Camp Theme - Olympics
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 02:02:41 pm »
My school did a Spring English Camp on a Saturday. Here is all of the stuff I used for that day!

Re: Camp Theme - Winter/Summer Olympics
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 11:47:08 am »
Here is my intro PPT and a PPT for an Archery activity I made, for those who have touch screens in their classroom. For the archery, the students make paper airplanes and throw them at the target on screen, nice and easy and loads of fun :)

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 04:14:10 pm »
Winter Olympics' mascots and logos

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 04:19:39 pm »
Sochi Olympic torch relay and opening ceremony ~ activity make torches, torch relay, plan opening ceremony etc.

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 04:28:39 pm »
Teammates for life ~ explores the idea of good sportsmanship and being a good team mate.

• cattmm21
  • Waygookin

• July 12, 2013, 12:01:32 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 02:47:44 pm »
Teammates for life ~ explores the idea of good sportsmanship and being a good team mate.

Livingincolour - I really like your materials!  Could you please help me though?  I cannot seems to get the hyperlinks to work in the PPT, could you please provide me with the links?  And what handouts are you referring to in the PPT? 
Thank you! 

• NStonecypher
  • Veteran

• August 27, 2014, 09:12:50 am
    • Cheongju, South Korea
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 01:00:27 pm »
I completed a winter camp with my students based on the Winter Olympics. I am attaching all the materials I made or changed from other people's posts. I have a lesson plan attached so you know how to use the materials. My camp was 5 days and about 3 hours long each day.

• NStonecypher
  • Veteran

• Cheongju, South Korea
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 01:04:24 pm »
Here are more of the PPTs:

• NStonecypher
  • Veteran

• Cheongju, South Korea
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 01:15:47 pm »
More:

• NStonecypher
  • Veteran

• Cheongju, South Korea
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2015, 02:23:49 pm »
Scavenger Hunt game.

If you have any questions on the materials, don't hesitate to ask!

• splend
  • Waygookin

• August 30, 2016, 10:43:52 am
    • Chungju, South Korea
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 02:14:19 pm »
This camp is based loosely on an Olympics camp posted earlier in this thread. For each day I focus on 1-2 English-speaking countries and then a component of language learning (listening, speaking, reading, writing). I've posted my first 4 days of camp so far and I will add in the 5th once I plan it. A lot of these PPTs are Frankenstein projects from other posts on various parts of waygook. Big thanks to anyone who I've borrowed from and all the original creators!

*I really did not want to spend too much time on the countries explanations so those are really bare bones with some videos to supplement. In addition to that, I know that England/UK are not synonymous but most students don't know the difference and call UK "England" so I just stuck with that.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:38:28 am by splend »

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 08:22:16 am »
I made this PPT for all of my classes. I felt like it would be useful for them to knwo what the sports are, especially since the winter Olympics are being held in February in Korea! Hope someone finds this useful.  It says Grade 3 but could be used for any grade.
I also added a Chase the Vocab that I made based on the PPT because I wanted to find a way to test the learners vocab and they also LOVE it.

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 03:33:03 pm »
Hi, I just took the above ppt and made a few changes. I also added a game towards the end of the ppt. On the sport pages, if you click on the lower blue triangle image, it will take you to a video of said sport. You may have to fast forward for some of the vids to get to the interesting part. As for the game part of the slides, all the sport players are current people on the olympics teams. If you click on their photos, it will take you to their page. Hope someone gets some use outta this. Thanks to the person above for getting most of the info.