Read 1485 times

Re: Your kitchen set up
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 02:00:45 pm »
Pro-tip:

If you have a good sharpening steel, you can get away with using cheap knives and they'll still be really pleasant to use. I've got a set of Dorco (cheap but actually honest-to-goodness pretty decent) knives that I got from Homeplus, and as long as I give them a quick zip zip on the steel once a week, they slice through most things with almost no pressure applied.

But if you buy expensive knives and don't maintain them well, they're not going to stay feeling like expensive knives for long.

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• July 04, 2017, 05:11:57 pm
    • South of Snow
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 02:28:18 pm »
Ah. Just odd perspective then.

There's something about stone walls and/or floors that I really like. Might just be nostalgia.

Can I ask why you have cozies wrapped around the handles of your fridge and icebox?

:laugh:  Yeah, I recently renovated the house, it's 11 years old and needed a paint job and stuff. The back wall and along the sink side are stone tiles. I have the house done in a earth tone theme, which I find relaxing. Muted browns, shades of green walls, terrazzo floor. It's a small house, 2 bdrms 1 bath, about 1000 sq. ft. But it's only me and my wife and the dog. There's also a 5m X 5m salla outside which is a traditional room with roof (pyramid style in our case) and no walls. We eat out there and hang out there cuz it's always warm or hot. I have 2 hammocks to swing in, again from GMarket.

The cozies are one of those "pick yer battles" things. The wife likes 'em. She wins that one LOL
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 03:47:43 pm »
Pro-tip:

If you have a good sharpening steel, you can get away with using cheap knives and they'll still be really pleasant to use. I've got a set of Dorco (cheap but actually honest-to-goodness pretty decent) knives that I got from Homeplus, and as long as I give them a quick zip zip on the steel once a week, they slice through most things with almost no pressure applied.

But if you buy expensive knives and don't maintain them well, they're not going to stay feeling like expensive knives for long.

I'm also for sharpening knives, but cheap knives don't last long if you hone them too often!

Based on my experience with Dorco razor blades, I would pass.

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• South of Snow
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 05:20:02 pm »
You can get by with cheaper stuff for sure, but nothing beats quality. As well, you should give your knife a couple swipes on the sharpening steel every time you use it.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 08:07:15 pm »
I live in a pretty decent one-room with sufficient room for cooking, especially with my own furniture to hold appliances.  I don't often mention my blog here, but I posted about this new apartment soon after I moved in.  It includes some pics of the kitchen area.
http://seoulpatch.blogspot.com/2017/03/new-apartment-in-deungchon-dong.html

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• South of Snow
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 10:54:20 pm »
That looks cool. My 1st year I had a 1 room and because I'm neat, tidy & organized, it worked out well.

PM sent

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 07:43:02 am »
I live in a pretty decent one-room with sufficient room for cooking, especially with my own furniture to hold appliances.  I don't often mention my blog here, but I posted about this new apartment soon after I moved in.  It includes some pics of the kitchen area.
http://seoulpatch.blogspot.com/2017/03/new-apartment-in-deungchon-dong.html

I stayed in the same oneroom for just over six years, and it also had a really nice little kitchen area. I had my dining room table right beside it, so it functioned as an island, and I was able to very comfortably cook there for those six years.

Then I moved to a three-room apartment and it had an amazingly well laid-out kitchen.

Then I moved to a different three-room, and the kitchen was the dumbest thing, despite the apartment being modern and fancy. Literally no drawers in the whole kitchen. Only cupboards. It took a lot of getting used to keeping stuff in containers on the counter. And there's a lot of running back and forth because the whole kitchen is basically laid out in a long strip. Not a corner.

But. Ehhhh.