Read 2211 times

Anyone familiar with Poly School Songdo, Incheon?
« on: July 06, 2018, 02:10:11 am »
Hi everyone,

I am currently interviewing for positions to start this fall. Does anyone have any experience working at Poly School Songdo? I haven't been able to find anything about this school in particular online (which could be a good thing) so I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences they'd like to share. I would greatly appreciate the insight!

I am also wondering about the long hours working for a Poly School, I've heard they can be grueling but the pay is good and the days go by fast. Are the long days really that bad?

Thanks in advance!
-Ravenclawesome33 AKA Tymber  :azn:

• ESLTurtle
  • Super Waygook

• October 25, 2017, 07:58:46 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Anyone familiar with Poly School Songdo, Incheon?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 02:22:45 pm »
The fact that you can't find anything about this school online could also be a potential bad thing.
For example, they remove any and all information about themselves :') Could be the garden of Eden or it could be a hell hole like Itaewon on Friday night's with all the buffoons making a fool out of my country-people.  8)

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 05:05:03 pm »
Never heard anything good about Poly but it always depends on the franchise location. Unless you force your school to sign a really sweet contract they don't pay that much more than other hagwons, and never give you holidays. I used to see fakey people bragging online about making 3m a month there but the real life former Poly teachers I've talked to said they were making 2.3m. If you are already in Korea and have a bit of experience, you should be able to find hagwons that pay the same and give you holidays and shorter work hours.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 10:01:58 am »
To be fair there are people making 3 million, or close to it, at some Poly Schools if you're doing the kindy/afternoon shift.  I worked at a Poly for two years and in my second year was making just under 3, and this was over 10 years ago.  They did word their contract in a way that your final severance pay was much lower than your salary.  Pretty shifty in my opinion.  They would offer you a low base salary then say each month you would get x and y bonus payments, but as for severance, it would be the base amount.  I would never work at one again.  I had a good time and met some great people I am still close to, but your life is work.  Sunday night you know the week is coming and up until Friday night work is pretty much all you have time for.  I worked, ate, went to the gym and went home most nights.  They pay you a little extra and work you a lot harder.  And they skimp on the vacation as well at some branches. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:47:00 pm »
Like others have said, you can negotiate higher.  All over the internet (including this site) you can find mixed salaries.  Some are lower and some are higher.  If you are doing 9 to 7 or 9 to 8, 2.5 to 2.7 should easy enough to ask even with some small break in between.  But, with Poly you are working that whole time and should be earning 3.0 million a month.  (I think they also have their shorter afternoon shift too?  1 to 9?  That one pays lower, I think?)

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 03:17:47 am »
Update: I didn't take the job with Poly, the long hours made me too nervous. I just accepted a position with Avalon in Gwangju City, Gyeonggi-do. I'll be in Korea on the 29th! Hopefully it will be a better fit!

Thanks for all of your comments!

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 04:27:09 pm »
STAY AWAY from this particular POLY branch folks!

• RZ1901
  • Newgookin

• May 15, 2020, 08:36:51 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 01:39:32 pm »
Why? Can you elaborate on that school?