Read 657 times

TEST QUESTION HELP: Which is/are also correct?
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:46:46 am »
Option 1: One co-worker believes that the first option is incorrect, because she believes we can't omit a verb after "to". Another doesn't agree.

Option 2: One co-worker thinks it is fine, the other believes we should say "You could leave at anytime you wish."

I have given my thoughts to them, but told them I will double check with the fine folks of Waygook.

Re: TEST QUESTION HELP: Which is/are also correct?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 01:14:37 pm »
Option 1:

Bill Wurtz would side with teacher 2 concerning option one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th56Xg6OE5s&

"You could leave whenever you wish to leave" is obviously the full sentiment, but at least colloquially, the infinitive is often omitted.
"You could leave whenever you wish to" sounds a bit awkward to my ears, but instead of adding the infinitive I might leave out the "to" as well.
"You could leave whenever you wish." But the "to" might best be left in to remove ambiguity about the wish.
"You could leave whenever you wish upon a star."

Honestly, the could is probably the most awkward thing about the two options. If it were the first clause in a longer sentence,
"You could leave whenever you wish to, but you choose to stay. Why?"
it could work, but if it's a standalone sentence I would just stick with "can".

Option 2:

"You could leave anytime (one word) you wish." Anytime being a synonym of whenever.
"You could leave at any time (two words) you wish." Any time could be replaced with 3:00, 12:30, etc and make sense.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:16:43 pm by donovan »