Read 2128 times

• chunsa94
  • Waygookin

• January 26, 2017, 08:52:37 am
    • Daejeon
Disney Camp
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:50:25 pm »
I'm obsessed with Disney movies from the 90s-00s and I knew my students hadn't seen the classics so I made a camp about them and they loved it.

My camps were split into 2 weeks with the 3rd and 4th graders together and then 5th and 6th together. Each day had a different movie theme.

1st day - Intro & Mulan
2nd day - Pocahontas
3rd day - Lilo & Stitch
4th day - The Emperor's New Groove
5th day - Cooking and Movie

1st day:
1. Went over camp rules and target vocabulary
2. Mickey Mouse ear nametags
3. Separated the students into 4 groups and introduced the behavior board where if they win a game, they get however many points were attached to it. Group with most points by the end of the week got a special prize.
4. Showed the Mulan trailer
5. I explained the basic plot of the movie
6. We watched the Matchmaker scene and played a Matchmaker game where my coteacher and I hid our shoes all around the class and the students had to pair up and find them. The class group with the most pairs won the points.
7. Constructed our own paper lanterns. My coteacher found really small electric candles that they put inside to make them look like actual lanterns.
8. Watched the "I'll Make A Man Out of You" sequence and did our own obstacle course. There were 7 games: Angry Birds, Ping Pong Ball Race, Shape Dice, Shooting, Ping Pong Battle, Water Bottle Flipping, and Crackers Game. (I would suggest cutting some of the games out if you have a lot of students because it was very time consuming.)

• chunsa94
  • Waygookin

• Daejeon
Re: Disney Camp
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 02:01:56 pm »
(I tried to be as correct and respectful as I could but I apologize in advance if I missed the mark.)

2nd day: Pocahontas
1. Introduced Pocahontas characters
2. Simplified the concept of spirit animals and related them to birthdays. Students then did a word search with the animals listed.
3.  They created Native America headbands out of paper and fake feathers.
4. We face painted.
5. We made mini bow and arrows out of popsicle sticks and fishing line and then had a competition.

• chunsa94
  • Waygookin

• Daejeon
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 02:23:09 pm »
Because my first week was only 4 days instead of 5, I had to cut out some activities and make the 3rd day a mash-up of Lilo & Stitch and Emperor's New Groove so there are some activities only my 5th and 6th graders got to do.

(There's a small Moana activity in this and I know Hawaiian culture and Polynesian culture aren't the same but we just needed an extra activity for my 5th and 6th graders.)

3rd Day: Lilo & Stitch
1. Introduced the Lilo & Stitch characters (They only knew Stitch but most hadn't seen the movie at all.)
2. Played "Agent Pleakley, Who's Hiding Stitch?"
    - The students sat in a upside-down U shape and put their desks up. I played Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride and
   they passed a stuffed animal around while the one student (Pleakley) in the front was turned around. When I
   stopped the music, that student with the animal has to hide it and Pleakley must guess who has it. (They loved
   this one a lot more than I thought they would. Only 3rd and 4th did.)
3. Hula Hoop Relay (Only 5th and 6th grade did.)
    - Hula hoop around your waist for 8 seconds, Hula hoop around your wrist for 5 seconds, Hula hoop around your
    arm for 15 seconds, Hula hoop jump rope 10 times, Hula hoop walking backwards to the teacher
4. Limbo Race (Only 5th and 6th did.)
5. Moana Activity (Only 5th and 6th did.)
   - My coteacher prepared the lyrics into strips they could take apart. We played "How Far I'll Go" and had the
   teams put the lyrics in the correct order.
6. Stitch's Destruction Derby (Only 5th and 6th did.)
   - Each group started with 10 balloons with 1 word in each balloon. The words spell out “Ohana means family and
   family means no one gets left behind.” The 1st group to pop balloons and put the words in order wins. I played a
   scene from the movie where Lilo says the quote and had them repeat after me a bunch so they could memorize it.
7. Make Your Own Lei
    - My coteacher and I made flowers out of colored paper ahead of time and the students just had to construct the
   leis themselves. 

• chunsa94
  • Waygookin

• Daejeon
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 02:33:58 pm »
4th Day: The Emperor's New Groove
1. Introduced the characters and played the trailer.
2. With food coloring, the students made their own "poisons." They could mix together any colors they wanted and had
    to tell me what their poisons would make you transform into if you drink it. (Only 5th and 6th did. They really got
    into it.)
3. We had a "Poison Battle." Two people would come to the front and I would ask them a question about anything.
    The first to ring the bell and answer correctly was the winner. The loser had to drink their poison and act out the
    animal/person/thing the winner said beforehand they would transform into. So for example if their poison turned
    you into a bird, the loser would have to squawk like a bird for 5 seconds. (Only 5th and 6th did.)
4. God's Eye Craft
5. Scavenger Hunt around the school
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:38:53 pm by chunsa94 »

• chunsa94
  • Waygookin

• Daejeon
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 02:38:32 pm »
5th Day: Conclusion

1. We made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches first. Then we made "quesadillas" which were tortillas with shredded mozzarella cheese and onions in it. It was the students first time eating either of these and they really liked them.
2. We allowed them to vote on what movie they wanted to watch in full. My students chose Emperors New Groove both weeks.
3. We handed out certificates and because we had extra time, we let them choose any game they wanted to play again.

The End!

• habbiebelle
  • Newgookin

• August 30, 2017, 05:51:19 pm
    • Nonsan, Chungnam, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 12:33:20 pm »
Omg thank you so much for this!!! I've been wanting to do a Disney themed camp and this is awesome  ;D :police:

• mcmxc
  • Newgookin

• August 01, 2016, 05:54:03 am
    • Virginia, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 09:03:45 am »
Greetings and happy holidays!

This is the camp I will be using for my school's annual winter camp. HUGE shoutout to Chunsa94, the originator of the camp!

I got the structure, activities and ideas from Chunsa94 and I edited it to my camp's needs.

I teach in an public elementary school and my camp is 5 days long. I have 3rd / 4th grade in the morning and 5th / 6th grade in the afternoon.

I hope these materials are beneficial to someone!

Kind regards,

mcmxc