Read 879 times

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
Dreams of a warm bed and cravings for mee goreng kept Joohee Han hopeful she would be rescued in the near-week she spent lost in bushland in far north Queensland.

The Korean backpacker slipped while descending the treacherous Mount Tyson track in Tully during a solo hike on Friday, June 1, and was knocked unconscious for several hours.

It was dark by the time the 25-year-old woke up in a narrow ravine next to a waterfall, and she remained there for six days, unable to go anywhere.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-09/korean-backpacker-joohee-han-speaks-six-days-bush-ordeal-qld/9853462

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
Re: Korean backpacker survives 6 days in the Australian jungle.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:08:24 pm »
Dreams of a warm bed and cravings for mee goreng kept Joohee Han hopeful she would be rescued in the near-week she spent lost in bushland in far north Queensland.

The Korean backpacker slipped while descending the treacherous Mount Tyson track in Tully during a solo hike on Friday, June 1, and was knocked unconscious for several hours.

It was dark by the time the 25-year-old woke up in a narrow ravine next to a waterfall, and she remained there for six days, unable to go anywhere.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-09/korean-backpacker-joohee-han-speaks-six-days-bush-ordeal-qld/9853462

Hope she gets a movie deal out of this.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 04:03:50 am »
Apparently she doesn't want the fame and attention she is getting from the incident.  She just wants to go back to the largely unknown Joohee Han.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 05:32:46 am »
Always make sure, if you're hiking alone, to inform the hostel of your intended route and expected return time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:37:32 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:33:56 am »
Apparently she doesn't want the fame and attention she is getting from the incident.  She just wants to go back to the largely unknown Joohee Han.

I imagine she’s still recovering from the shock and would like to return to normal until she gets a hold of things.

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2017, 12:32:17 am
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 06:52:37 am »
I can also imagine having dozens of reporters asking you to relive a moment when you thought you were going to die isn't fun. Tbh I'd just want to be alone to reassess my life like she is.

I was reading the story aloud to some Aussie friends and their first reaction was "Jesus Chris was she insane? Going out there alone? She's lucky she didn't die."

Cannot stress enough how important it is to leave a note, tell a friend, and bring extra food/water even if you think you're going for a quick hike and you'll be back in an hour. Better safe than sorry.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 08:12:15 am »

Like a "127 Hours" but without all the claustrophobia and cutting parts?

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:16:48 am »

'Like a "127 Hours" but without all the claustrophobia and cutting parts'

I bet that's the movie's working title~

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 08:24:37 am »
Obviously there was no cell phone service in that area. I recommend satellite phones for hikers going into rugged areas like this. They are expensive, but they can definitely save your life.