Read 749 times

Help! Suggestions for customizable online vocab games?
« on: May 15, 2018, 02:55:31 pm »
Looking for a way to put our school's new batch of tablets to good use: An interactive arcade-style game that drills vocabulary or grammar.

My students are getting sick of "listen and repeat" introduction PPTs, especially my sixth graders. It's taking a toll on morale. I asked them "well, do you have a better idea?" and in their jumbled clamor there came this one potentially good idea.

However:

All the "games" I've come across are not customizable (you have to work with their vocab set) and the majority look like they were built in a dreary afternoon in 1997.

Do you know any useful online interactive games? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Re: Help! Suggestions for customizable online vocab games?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 11:22:08 am »
This is completely irrelevant now, but I encountered the same issue, so I decided to make my own vocabulary app with as much customizability as possible.  Unfortunately while I have made some progress on the app it is not done and will probably not get done for a long time because I am working full time and attending graduate school full time here in Korea.  If anyone actually finds an app or something that does this, I would like to know as well because it would save me the work.

If an app is customizable that usually just means you have to do all the input yourself or get lists of words from others and rely on their not always good accuracy(Quizlet/Memorise).  The app I am trying to makes allows you to create custom words sets but also control if you want a drilling activity or simply a flashcard (as they both are better at different parts of learning the depth of meaning for a word).  You would be able to control what information is displayed on the answer card or activity(such as part of speech or definition).  Also, I would try to create appropriate tags based on the topic a word might fall under for people who are just studying vocabulary and making vocabulary sets on their own. 

I only have a minor in computer science and like I said before I am super busy, so this will not be completed for at least a year and probably longer.  Not to mention the fact that I would have to find people to double check that I am not making any translation errors when I input all the words and definitions myself. Every vocabulary app I see seems to have some limitations, so I will get around to it eventually out of frustration at the limitations to me studying Korean.  I am making the app to be usable to study either way, but only between Korean and English.

• DaStrongOne
  • Moderator LVL 1

• December 01, 2015, 08:59:17 pm
    • Thailand
Re: Help! Suggestions for customizable online vocab games?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:27:51 pm »
This is completely irrelevant now, but I encountered the same issue, so I decided to make my own vocabulary app with as much customizability as possible.  Unfortunately while I have made some progress on the app it is not done and will probably not get done for a long time because I am working full time and attending graduate school full time here in Korea.  If anyone actually finds an app or something that does this, I would like to know as well because it would save me the work.

If an app is customizable that usually just means you have to do all the input yourself or get lists of words from others and rely on their not always good accuracy(Quizlet/Memorise).  The app I am trying to makes allows you to create custom words sets but also control if you want a drilling activity or simply a flashcard (as they both are better at different parts of learning the depth of meaning for a word).  You would be able to control what information is displayed on the answer card or activity(such as part of speech or definition).  Also, I would try to create appropriate tags based on the topic a word might fall under for people who are just studying vocabulary and making vocabulary sets on their own. 

I only have a minor in computer science and like I said before I am super busy, so this will not be completed for at least a year and probably longer.  Not to mention the fact that I would have to find people to double check that I am not making any translation errors when I input all the words and definitions myself. Every vocabulary app I see seems to have some limitations, so I will get around to it eventually out of frustration at the limitations to me studying Korean.  I am making the app to be usable to study either way, but only between Korean and English.

PM'd you