Read 2057 times

Re: Taxi drivers who act clueless
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 10:25:41 am »
Pro tip:

If using Kakao taxi change the payment method to cash and the taxi driver will be there in a flash.

Pro tip 2:

If you don't have any cash, just pay with a card and pretend like nothing happened.
Who is here in 2019?

• gurudanny98
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 02:01:11 pm
    • Busan South Korea
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 01:34:08 pm »
I was in a taxi one time and tried to pay with a card. He told me no card. He was hungry. He wanted cash. I said me too and gave him the card anyway.

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 08:18:50 pm »
Most of my taxi experiences are positive, but I'm ready to pull their hair out if they don't recognize when I say, Seoul Station in Korean. Really? Ok, how about KTX? This happens occasionally, when the taxi driver doesn't recognize my Korean pronunciations. If it's my neighborhood, I can understand. But Seoul Yuk? Like to rip him a new one!

Seoul Station is not pronounced the way it's written. It's pronounced 서울력 Seoul-lyeok.

• ESLTurtle
  • Super Waygook

• October 25, 2017, 07:58:46 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 04:47:12 pm »
You just have to get in before they ask where you're going (sure they'll throw a fit but hey, they can stfu because they're supposed to be servicing the general public and not just those that favor their route), and tell them to drive b*tch. Don't f*ck with me buddy (say it again in Korean if he doesn't comply), and you'll be well on your way. Now don't let the fact that you have a Korean lady next to you make you feel guilty when trying to encounter this specimen (he's just mirin' the gainz).  :police: Remember Zyzz bruh.

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 10:02:55 am »
I experience this, on occasion. 

But, for the most part, I'd rather deal with the odd inconvenience here, as opposed to the daily circus of taxi drivers in Thailand. 

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 11:02:27 am »
Have you noticed how many Korean taxi drivers don't know how to read a map? Even a korean map, they will just wave their hands in the air like its a different language. Instead they insist on calling your destination so as to be guided in live over the phone by a korean person.
But even an address written in Korean usually draws the same response of incomprehension.
Drivers never seem to know the local area at all. Most of them also do not know how to use the gps either. And don't try talking korean because..they don't know that either.

So I guess my question is, how is it possible to be over the age of 40 and not know how to do the simplest thing?

Most of them do it based off of familiarity and you also having some element of familiarity. Try telling them a famous landmark nearby and then guiding them from there.

Add to that, many aren't the most tech literate.

These taxi drivers are protesting the introduction of ride sharing services. They claim that they (the taxi drivers) undergo strict and thorough training to become taxi drivers. Apparently, obeying all traffic laws and operating a GPS doesn't seem to be part of their training curriculum.

• wg95
  • Explorer

• February 04, 2019, 11:21:42 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 11:24:52 am »
Thanks for the tip !

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 03:25:18 pm »
Have you noticed how many Korean taxi drivers don't know how to read a map? Even a korean map, they will just wave their hands in the air like its a different language. Instead they insist on calling your destination so as to be guided in live over the phone by a korean person.
But even an address written in Korean usually draws the same response of incomprehension.
Drivers never seem to know the local area at all. Most of them also do not know how to use the gps either. And don't try talking korean because..they don't know that either.

So I guess my question is, how is it possible to be over the age of 40 and not know how to do the simplest thing?

Most of them do it based off of familiarity and you also having some element of familiarity. Try telling them a famous landmark nearby and then guiding them from there.

Add to that, many aren't the most tech literate.

These taxi drivers are protesting the introduction of ride sharing services. They claim that they (the taxi drivers) undergo strict and thorough training to become taxi drivers. Apparently, obeying all traffic laws and operating a GPS doesn't seem to be part of their training curriculum.

Text books havenít been updated since the 50s; even then they were produced by people with government connections.

/s