Read 3398 times

Re: Bill Cosby found guilty of sexual assault in retrial
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 10:26:26 am »

Name a specific case and we can agree or disagree whether the person was unfairly acquitted or prosecuted. Of course you realise that even if a white person was unfairly let off or a black person unfairly prosecuted, that still doesn't prove racial inequality. Just as the OJ Simpson case doesn't prove black people get favourable treatment. You'd have to recognise a general pattern of inequality among very similar cases.

Or specific laws that target one group over another, ex. crack and cocaine laws. Of course, everyone knows crack users are predominantly black and cocaine users are predominantly white. Though I suppose you could make an argument that this is more of a class issue than a race one (and I'm sympathetic to that, but I don't buy it completely).

distribution of just 5 grams of crack carries a minimum 5-year federal prison sentence, while distribution of 500 grams of powder cocaine carries the same 5-year mandatory minimum sentence.

https://www.aclu.org/other/cracks-system-20-years-unjust-federal-crack-cocaine-law

This happens all the time in justice systems, the authorities want to deal with a specific problem they identify as high priority for whatever reason and increase the punishment. According to Ben Shapiro the crack law was introduced under pressure from black legislators from inner cities and crystal meth, which is also easier to distribute and mainly used by white people, carries the same penalty as crack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVSMyA4zp0E

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 10:33:29 am »

This happens all the time in justice systems, the authorities want to deal with a specific problem they identify as high priority for whatever reason and increase the punishment. According to Ben Shapiro the crack law was introduced under pressure from black legislators from inner cities and crystal meth, which is also easier to distribute and mainly used by white people, carries the same penalty as crack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVSMyA4zp0E

That it was introduced by black legislators does not mean it doesn't contribute to racial inequality. But I get your point about meth.
more gg more skill

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 02:12:02 pm »
Poor Cosby! He's probably got like 12 more trials coming.

I mean how many years can you keep tacking on to a man who is near his end?  What's really the difference if he gets a 20 year sentence or a 200 year sentence.  They are both the same thing since he won't live long enough to fulfill either sentence.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 02:44:28 pm »

I mean how many years can you keep tacking on to a man who is near his end?  What's really the difference if he gets a 20 year sentence or a 200 year sentence.  They are both the same thing since he won't live long enough to fulfill either sentence.

If I was a victim of his shit, I'd want the law to recognise the fact that he did indeed do it. You're right about it not affecting his ability to walk free but justice for victims is important. Just being vindicated goes a long way for someone who was wronged.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 02:50:33 pm »

If I was a victim of his shit, I'd want the law to recognise the fact that he did indeed do it. You're right about it not affecting his ability to walk free but justice for victims is important. Just being vindicated goes a long way for someone who was wronged.

Too right.

The sentence should reflect the seriousness of the crimes....whether he can fufill it or not.

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2021, 07:31:06 am »
Bill Cosby released from prison.  Court finds he should never have faced trail.

Extract from article below:

"Justice Kevin Dougherty sided with the majority and said large swaths of Cosby's prosecution amounted to a "coercive bait-and-switch,"........."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bill-cosby-be-released-after-sexual-assault-conviction-overturned-pennsylvania-n1272748
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 07:32:44 am by raysmith »

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2021, 07:52:09 am »
free not because he didn't do it, but because he admitted he did it under the right (for him) set of circumstances. yikes
more gg more skill

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2021, 07:56:29 am »
Itís almost as if celebrities in America have a different set of laws to abide by.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2021, 07:58:39 am »
You can't just cry racism every time a black person gets convicted or a white person is let off. This is the mentality of a child. You have to look at each case on its own merits.

By the way Harvey Weistein is awaiting trial.

You are the one who is racist to tell a black person like me that I am thinking like a child because you
have no social consciousness to see that racism still exists in different forms. And I can assure you that
when Weinstein goes on trial they will let him go scotch free. This is why I believe that every black man
and Native American man must take a stand for out black women and Native women and tell the world
the same thing that Malcolm X said: We will kill you for our women.
Don't take these words as a personal threat. Take these words as serious words against anyone who
puts their filthy hands on our women.

Catching up on this thread, it just reminded me of how incredibly racist Foreverparadise is and how he expects, and seemingly gets, a pass because he's black.  That post should've resulted in some kind of warning, if not an outright ban. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2021, 08:02:11 am »
Catching up on this thread, it just reminded me of how incredibly racist Foreverparadise is and how he expects, and seemingly gets, a pass because he's black.  That post should've resulted in some kind of warning, if not an outright ban. 

I remember reading that post and thinking it's one of the most unhinged posts I've ever seen on this site.

I've been told a couple of times to "keep my hands off our women" by a couple of older Korean men. These are among the worst of the worst people you encounter, as a foreigner, here in Korea.

Utter lunacy. Imagine saying "our women" unironically.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2021, 11:51:46 am »
I remember reading that post and thinking it's one of the most unhinged posts I've ever seen on this site.

I've been told a couple of times to "keep my hands off our women" by a couple of older Korean men. These are among the worst of the worst people you encounter, as a foreigner, here in Korea.

Utter lunacy. Imagine saying "our women" unironically.

Yeah, that was out there.  And totally uncensored.  It's hard to figure out the standards here but I guess racist and misogynistic are ok? 

However, I must give Fparasite his due.  It was incredibly prescient when he stated:

"And I can assure you that when Weinstein goes on trial they will let him go scotch free. " 

Not only was Weinsten released, but he was never forced to even take a whiff of scotch. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2021, 12:02:49 pm »
I know you're making a scotch joke, but he wasn't released?

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2021, 12:18:00 pm »
I know you're making a scotch joke, but he wasn't released?

No, I was just being sarcastic in regards to the gross inaccuracy of Fpairadice's prediction. And hoping he'll pick up on the expression scot-free. 

By the way, the other day when I ran into while you were slowly strolling up and down the platform at a crowded Geumjeong Station with those nifty shoes with the mirrors on top while wearing a cap pulled way down low, you were right about that area in Seoul being Bukcheon, not Bugok.  My mistake. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2021, 01:11:44 pm »
you were right about that area in Seoul being Bukcheon, not Bugok.  My mistake.