Read 1463 times

Re: Bill Cosby found guilty of sexual assault in retrial
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 10:26:26 am »

Name a specific case and we can agree or disagree whether the person was unfairly acquitted or prosecuted. Of course you realise that even if a white person was unfairly let off or a black person unfairly prosecuted, that still doesn't prove racial inequality. Just as the OJ Simpson case doesn't prove black people get favourable treatment. You'd have to recognise a general pattern of inequality among very similar cases.

Or specific laws that target one group over another, ex. crack and cocaine laws. Of course, everyone knows crack users are predominantly black and cocaine users are predominantly white. Though I suppose you could make an argument that this is more of a class issue than a race one (and I'm sympathetic to that, but I don't buy it completely).

distribution of just 5 grams of crack carries a minimum 5-year federal prison sentence, while distribution of 500 grams of powder cocaine carries the same 5-year mandatory minimum sentence.

https://www.aclu.org/other/cracks-system-20-years-unjust-federal-crack-cocaine-law

This happens all the time in justice systems, the authorities want to deal with a specific problem they identify as high priority for whatever reason and increase the punishment. According to Ben Shapiro the crack law was introduced under pressure from black legislators from inner cities and crystal meth, which is also easier to distribute and mainly used by white people, carries the same penalty as crack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVSMyA4zp0E

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 10:33:29 am »

This happens all the time in justice systems, the authorities want to deal with a specific problem they identify as high priority for whatever reason and increase the punishment. According to Ben Shapiro the crack law was introduced under pressure from black legislators from inner cities and crystal meth, which is also easier to distribute and mainly used by white people, carries the same penalty as crack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVSMyA4zp0E

That it was introduced by black legislators does not mean it doesn't contribute to racial inequality. But I get your point about meth.

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 02:12:02 pm »
Poor Cosby! He's probably got like 12 more trials coming.

I mean how many years can you keep tacking on to a man who is near his end?  What's really the difference if he gets a 20 year sentence or a 200 year sentence.  They are both the same thing since he won't live long enough to fulfill either sentence.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 02:44:28 pm »

I mean how many years can you keep tacking on to a man who is near his end?  What's really the difference if he gets a 20 year sentence or a 200 year sentence.  They are both the same thing since he won't live long enough to fulfill either sentence.

If I was a victim of his shit, I'd want the law to recognise the fact that he did indeed do it. You're right about it not affecting his ability to walk free but justice for victims is important. Just being vindicated goes a long way for someone who was wronged.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 02:50:33 pm »

If I was a victim of his shit, I'd want the law to recognise the fact that he did indeed do it. You're right about it not affecting his ability to walk free but justice for victims is important. Just being vindicated goes a long way for someone who was wronged.

Too right.

The sentence should reflect the seriousness of the crimes....whether he can fufill it or not.