• Veteran

• March 08, 2017, 12:32:17 am
    • United States
Re: Hey look it's my life
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 10:42:13 am »
TW for horribly sad things.

http://winter-in-korea.blogspot.kr/2018/05/honey.html

Sorry, Bingsu.  That had to be tough.   :sad:

I think the hardest part is that Stella doesn't understand why I took a baby and never brought it back. She watches me very intently when I weigh the others now, and if they cry she will take them from my hand. I hope she can forgive me.

I'm sorry to hear that. But at least the kitten passed away in good hands.

Stella is a good name for a cat, lol. Don't worry, she wouldn't let you handle her kittens at all if she didn't still trust you. She's just confused and being extra protective. She'll eventually calm down, especially as her kittens age.

Do you have an estimate for Stella's age?

Sorry for a long quote, I'm on mobile. Based on how she acts I would put her at maybe a year-and-a-half, is she's over two I would be thoroughly shocked

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 08:51:57 am »
Sorry for a long quote, I'm on mobile. Based on how she acts I would put her at maybe a year-and-a-half, is she's over two I would be thoroughly shocked

I don't have to scroll the page down just to read your comment, so it's all good. xD

Yeah, I thought she might be a young cat. When you found her as a stray, did she let you approach her or approached you on her own, or did it take a lot of coaxing and baiting to finally get her to trust you enough to take her in?

Sorry, just curious about how long she may have been a stray before you found her.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:06:34 am by Chinguetti »

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 11:11:22 am »

I don't have to scroll the page down just to read your comment, so it's all good. xD

Yeah, I thought she might be a young cat. When you found her as a stray, did she let you approach her or approached you on her own, or did it take a lot of coaxing and baiting to finally get her to trust you enough to take her in?

Sorry, just curious about how long she may have been a stray before you found her.

Luckily she was friendly, but skittish, because there was a store owner who was feeding her. But I basically just walked up, picked her up, asked the store owner if I could take her and she said yes. I did the same with another stray that was injured. He was too weak to fight me so I picked him up and took him to the vet. Somewhat of an animal whisperer, even a lot of strays don't bolt from me.

I was one of those kids that showed up at my doorstep with an animal going "mom it followed me home, can we keep it?" She cried a lot the first week of being in my apartment but now she doesn't even think of going outside.

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 03:35:11 pm »
Awesome! We have 4 cats, rescued from the streets. We turned our apartment into a cat playground. Our plan is to get a house so we can build a 'catio'  or have a cat friendly garden :smiley:

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 08:08:50 am »
http://winter-in-korea.blogspot.kr/2018/05/lemonade-from-lemons.html

It's normal. I work at a school that has a large budget, is constantly having maintenance or repairs done, and - it still looks run down, grimy, etc.

I don't know, what she's describing to me sounds worse than the norm. I've been in "rundown" schools, but we never had blackened toilet bowls. Maybe I've just been super lucky, though. xD

@ Bingsu: A lot of schools here end up with a grimy look to them partially due to having non-professional cleaners who aren't given industrial cleaning products to help them do their jobs. In fact, you'll know that many schools leave most if not all of their cleaning up to the students who use water, dirty mops/cloths, and zero cleaning products. Also, the schools never get their floors buffed and re-waxed. Like ever. So with all of the traffic that these floors get, no amount of cleaning will save them from the inevitable fallout.

A lot of what you're describing sounds familiar to a lot of us, although I'm betting that yours is to a degree that exceeds normal standards because the school doesn't sound like its even doing the basics and bare minimum expected here. The place has a toxic atmosphere. That normally means inadequate leadership and funds, and that trickles down and affects the attitudes of others. If you feel comfortable posting some pics, we could get a better idea of how bad it is as compared to what most of us see day-in-day-out.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:15:24 am by Chinguetti »

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 12:03:31 pm »
I could pm the pics, tbh I'm afraid to post them on the off chance someone from my school saw and wanted to make it into a slander thing lol

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 06:40:56 pm »

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 09:13:58 pm »
back to regularly scheduled programs, right after this.

http://winter-in-korea.blogspot.kr/2018/05/the-adult-thing.html

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 06:42:55 pm »
Go get 'em Bingsu! Cheering you on~
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2018, 09:40:49 pm »
Thank you! I know it seems silly and all but it works haha

http://winter-in-korea.blogspot.kr/2018/05/baby-steps.html

• ESLTurtle
  • Super Waygook

• October 25, 2017, 07:58:46 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 01:46:46 pm »
Perhaps listening to some classical music and a nice glass of wine can help enhance your cursive-writing experience.  8)

Thanks for the read, you're not alone! I've also recently been getting into water painting.  :azn:

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 04:45:45 pm »
I actually really do like classical, my grandpa and I used to listen to it when I went to work with him as a small human.

Also hoo boy nothing like getting hit during class.

http://winter-in-korea.blogspot.kr/2018/05/i-dont-have-title-for-this-one.html

• ESLTurtle
  • Super Waygook

• October 25, 2017, 07:58:46 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 05:10:32 pm »
I actually really do like classical, my grandpa and I used to listen to it when I went to work with him as a small human.

The higher-ups at your working institution don't seem to care all that much based on your statements.  :rolleyes:
I've heard some stories about foreign educators being abused or sexually harassed. They end up not sharing it to their bosses because they want to avoid any faulty actions that could potentially ruin their working life.
Perhaps you could speak to the child in Korean? A simple words or phrases is fine too.

Whenever I have little devils that don't listen well, a few statements in Korean gets them back in line. Sometimes the L1 of the students speaks much louder than the L2.  8)

• Mike.T
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2017, 09:57:45 am
    • Korea
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 06:37:18 pm »

This makes me so angry.

If it's physically purple, I would be taking an appropriate photo of my back and escalating it as far as necessary with prejudice.  Would send it to the MoE if necessary, dragging that them through the mud. This just isn't something your MT can sit idle on.

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 06:45:42 pm »

I think the hardest part is that Stella doesn't understand why I took a baby and never brought it back. She watches me very intently when I weigh the others now, and if they cry she will take them from my hand. I hope she can forgive me.
When my cat had two kittens, one of them had trouble breathing right from the start.  It could never really eat and our cat could tell something was wrong with it.  Really seemed like she didn't even want to take care of it and it was never allowed to curl up with the mother like the other one.  Eventually it died after a few days.  I'm sure mom cat is focused on the ones alive and doesn't think about the missing one.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:48:34 pm by leaponover »

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2018, 07:14:55 pm »

This makes me so angry.

If it's physically purple, I would be taking an appropriate photo of my back and escalating it as far as necessary with prejudice.  Would send it to the MoE if necessary, dragging that them through the mud. This just isn't something your MT can sit idle on.

I'm lucky that I have a meeting with my PoE next week. I haven't been hit like this before but kids have been aggressive toward me but this was the first report since nobody had laid a hand on me. I did try before to ask for help in that I couldn't control the kids but got no help. I took pics and expect it to get darker as the day/night goes on.

Tbh the only thing this job has given me is a migraine and a drinking problem.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:22:01 am by Bingsu »

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2018, 07:28:15 pm »

When my cat had two kittens, one of them had trouble breathing right from the start.  It could never really eat and our cat could tell something was wrong with it.  Really seemed like she didn't even want to take care of it and it was never allowed to curl up with the mother like the other one.  Eventually it died after a few days.  I'm sure mom cat is focused on the ones alive and doesn't think about the missing one.

Luckily Stella is spending more time away from them since they're 2 weeks and walking a bit more, she's upset when 
I take them out of the box but I know she'll be okay. Also thank you for commenting, I know it's an odd topic-- cat death on a teaching forum haha

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• United States