Read 13926 times

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: California is a failing state.
« Reply #240 on: June 08, 2018, 10:19:12 pm »
Completely true. Your spending claim is another of your falsehoods.

What is Kansas, Alex?
Correct for $200. The board is yours, Gators.

Money is no substitute for academic motivation, in particular peer and societal pressure to achieve academically.
I think most would agree that substandard facilities, lack of academic materials, books that saw their best days in the early 90s, little or no heat in the winter and underpaid and overworked teachers are all demotivating.

Not demotivating enough to overcome a strong motivation for academic success.

The primary reason for this is that academic success is not seen as "cool". In other communities/countries this isn't necessarily the case. You take those students and put them in a substandard facility with a lack of materials and books, and they as students would try twice as hard and their parents would spend their off-work hours repairing the school and getting supplementary education for their children.

The key to change is to make academic achievement socially desirable to teenagers and kids, not as something for "dorks".
Anecdotal evidence is one thing, but the fiction you write is quite another.

Education needs to be fulfilling and personally meaningful, not just a means to an end (high test scores). For that to happen, you need motivated teachers who receive effective training in new methods and the materials to put their training to good use.

Do you have an encyclopedia of canards that you use as research for your posts?

Sounds like more of the crap that has been happening the last 30 years.   We need more money,  we need to coddle them and make the tests easier.
There needs to be standardized testing, and the teachers need to get better and more effective at teaching so students can do the problems.  The other stuff , coddling making sure everyone feels good , and turning the students into antiamerican social justice warriors should stop.  Democrats just want to buy teacher votes by saying they are like doctors and spending more money on them .

I havenít heard anything from you concerning information or facts.  You just act like you have them.  Could you for example defend anything that you write about throwing money at teachers and coddling students having provided better results? 
If not then you should quit this site and sjwing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6LvUNGEsTo
Where did I mention coddling students? Where did I post male tests easier?

As for information, you refused to accept the peer-reviewed studies I linked to.

Teachers are underpaid compared to others with similar qualifications:

On average, teacher salaries have slipped 1.3% since 2000, after adjusting for inflation, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. That average hides wide state-by-state discrepancies. Teacher salaries in Arizona, Indiana, and North Carolina have fallen at least 12%, for instance, while teachers in Massachusetts, North Dakota, and Wyoming have seen double-digit increases.

And teachers are falling further behind other careers. Remember that 17% pay differential between teachers and other college-educated professionals? Twenty-five years ago, the gap was just 1.8%.

Teachers "need to get better"? Here's the problem(s) with that:

An effective teacher is the most important school-based determinant of education outcomes.1 Therefore it is crucial that school districts recruit and retain high-quality teachers. This is increasingly challenging given that the supply of teachers has been greatly affected by high early to mid-career turnover rates, annual retirements of longtime teachers, and a decline in students opting for a teaching career.2 At the same time, many factors are increasing the demand for teachers, including shrinking class sizes, the desire to improve diversity, and the need to meet high standards. In short, the demand for teachers is escalating, while simultaneously the supply of teachers is faltering.

The supply of teachers is diminishing at every stage of the career ladder. On the front end, fewer students are entering the profession. Generally speaking, the small fraction of the most cognitively skilled college students who elect to become teachers has declined for decades (Corcoran, Evans, and Schwab 2004). Several factors have helped to drive this trend. Over the long run, employment opportunities for women have greatly expanded, and thus the teaching profession can no longer rely on what was a somewhat captive labor pool. At the same time, teachers are less satisfied and more stressed as standardized testing has been elevated as a tool for student, school, and teacher evaluations.3

On the back end, teachers are aging and retiring along with the workforce overall. Teacher retirements recently peaked, going from 35,000 in 1988Ė1989 to 87,000 in 2004Ė2005 (and down very slightly to 85,000 in 2008Ė2009) (Ingersoll, Merrill, and Stuckey 2014). Ingersoll, Merrill, and Stuckey (2014) argue that retiring teachers, who represent fewer than one-third of those who leave the profession, are not the primary driver behind teacher shortages. Regardless, they do represent a nontrivial annual reduction in the teacher workforce. Moreover, as teachers retire, they are replaced by newcomers, and the high attrition rate among this group is a particularly critical issue.

Teacher staffing is significantly affected by early and mid-career teachers who leave the profession for non-retirement reasons. Ingersoll, Merrill, and Stuckey (2014, 7) document that ďfrom 1988-89 to 2008-09, annual attrition from the teaching force as a whole rose by 41 percent, from 6.4 percent to 9 percent,Ē a trend driven primarily by non-retirement turnover. They conclude that teachers, who represent one of the largest occupations in the nation, have been leaving at relatively high rates, and these rates have steadily increased in recent decades. The increasing rates of attrition foster a growing instability in the teaching profession that affects classroom efficacy.

Underfunded schools:
In more than half of the states in the U.S., the poorest school districts do not receive funding to address their students' increased needs Ė just the latest data point to shine a spotlight on funding gaps that plague the country's public education system.

School districts with the highest rates of poverty receive about $1,000 less per student in state and local funding than those with the lowest rates of poverty, according to a new report released Tuesday by The Education Trust.

While the funding gaps among states vary significantly, Illinois, Missouri, New York and Alabama rank among the worst. In Illinois, for example, the poorest districts received 22 percent less in state and local funding than the lowest-poverty districts.

The Legislature approved SB 423 in a dramatic vote after midnight Sunday. The bill passed the House and Senate with the bare minimum number of votes needed.

The bill is the Legislatureís response to a Kansas Supreme Court decision last fall that found schools are inadequately funded. The court has required lawmakers to submit a plan to adequately fund schools by April 30.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2018/02/09/this-is-what-inadequate-funding-at-a-public-school-looks-and-feels-like-as-told-by-an-entire-faculty/?utm_term=.3ad196c8708c

Get back to me once you've read and understood all that. I'll give you more.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2018, 10:23:10 pm »
(surpise for people like Chester Jim, Martin and other California haters)

Where did I say I hate California?

I don't think I've said much on the issue of California itself. It's a big state and the fact that it's Democratic-leaning doesn't turn it into an automatic hellhole anymore than some area being Republican-leaning doesn't turn it into a dystopian wasteland. There are great Democratic-run places to live and utter-craptowns. Same with Republicans.

It might be what you donít say
Anyways you are right itís in trouble .  There are no democratic run cities that are good places, at least not as good as they would be if they were run by I donít know say republicans.
#1 city to live in the US is Denver. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/10/us-news-world-report-the-10-best-places-to-live-in-the-us-in-2018.html

The mayor is a Democrat.

FACTS, jimbo, FACTS.

• Chester Jim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2015, 02:17:12 pm
    • Arkansas
    more
« Reply #242 on: June 09, 2018, 10:34:32 am »
The measure is not whether cities are great to live in .   Yes New York is awesome and Denver is great.  The question is were they better run under republicans and the answer to New York is that fiscally and looking at crime they are better under republicans .     
Denver too better  and built by republicans. 
Cambridge I guarantee that Whole Foods and all that crap ruined a once beautiful more conservative town .
Bonzai!

« Reply #243 on: June 09, 2018, 04:01:58 pm »
The measure is not whether cities are great to live in .   Yes New York is awesome and Denver is great.  The question is were they better run under republicans and the answer to New York is that fiscally and looking at crime they are better under republicans .     
Cambridge I guarantee that Whole Foods and all that crap ruined a once beautiful more conservative town .

Can you provide any facts about NYC or Denver being better managed by Republicans? Statistics? Data? I'd genuinely admit that I'm wrong if you could. I don't know much about those cities or their history. I can admit that Cambridge is changing, but it hasn't been managed by conservatives in recent history and seems to be doing just fine.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:23:47 pm by tylerthegloob »

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #244 on: June 09, 2018, 11:16:37 pm »
The may or of Denver is a Democrat. So is the mayor of NYC. The mayor preceding him was an independent.

Your guarantees are snake oil.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #246 on: September 11, 2018, 10:02:02 am »
Tucker Carlson asks the hard questions:

"First, how is our current immigration system made America more stable and more prosperous? In your answer, please explain what happened to the State of California? Used to be called the Golden State. Had a thriving middle class. Had the countryís best schools.

"Now the schools in California are a complete disaster. The middle class is vanishing, and the nationís largest mass of impoverished people remains behind to serve a tiny pool of tech oligarchs. How exactly did that happen?

"Next, how precisely is diversity our strength? Since youíve made this our new national motto, please be specific as you explain it. Can you think, for example, of other institutions such as, I donít know, marriage or military units in which the less people have in common, the more cohesive they are?

"Do you get along better with your neighbors, your coworkers if you canít understand each other or share no common values? Please be honest as you answer this question.

"And if diversity is our strength, why is it OK for the rest of us to surrender one of our central rights, freedom of speech, to just a handful of tech monopolies? And by the way, if your ideas are so obviously true why does anyone who question them need to be shamed, silenced and fired?

"How about this question? After spending two centuries overcoming our countryís painful history of racial discrimination and hatred, why is it once again acceptable, even encouraged, to attack people on the basis of their skin color?

"And by the way, since weíre asking if itís now possible to change your sex, is it possible to change your race too? If not, tell us why and be specific."
https://www.breitbart.com/video/2018/09/08/tucker-carlson-to-dems-since-diversity-is-our-strength-is-our-new-national-motto-please-be-specific-as-you-explain-it/

"Diversity is our strength" is one of those things that some people mindlessly chant without giving serious thought to whether it is truly the case in the real world.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #247 on: September 12, 2018, 02:30:07 am »
Tucker Carlson asks the hard questions:

"First, how is our current immigration system made America more stable and more prosperous? In your answer, please explain what happened to the State of California? Used to be called the Golden State. Had a thriving middle class. Had the countryís best schools.

"Now the schools in California are a complete disaster. The middle class is vanishing, and the nationís largest mass of impoverished people remains behind to serve a tiny pool of tech oligarchs. How exactly did that happen?

"Next, how precisely is diversity our strength? Since youíve made this our new national motto, please be specific as you explain it. Can you think, for example, of other institutions such as, I donít know, marriage or military units in which the less people have in common, the more cohesive they are?

"Do you get along better with your neighbors, your coworkers if you canít understand each other or share no common values? Please be honest as you answer this question.

"And if diversity is our strength, why is it OK for the rest of us to surrender one of our central rights, freedom of speech, to just a handful of tech monopolies? And by the way, if your ideas are so obviously true why does anyone who question them need to be shamed, silenced and fired?

"How about this question? After spending two centuries overcoming our countryís painful history of racial discrimination and hatred, why is it once again acceptable, even encouraged, to attack people on the basis of their skin color?

"And by the way, since weíre asking if itís now possible to change your sex, is it possible to change your race too? If not, tell us why and be specific."
https://www.breitbart.com/video/2018/09/08/tucker-carlson-to-dems-since-diversity-is-our-strength-is-our-new-national-motto-please-be-specific-as-you-explain-it/

"Diversity is our strength" is one of those things that some people mindlessly chant without giving serious thought to whether it is truly the case in the real world.
California? Yea, kneejerk righties hate it BECAUSE the people there are rich, successful, great looking, get to go to the beach and see other great looking people all the while living in a progressive state with a great economy. California is a happening place that most trump supporters can only dream about living in.

« Reply #248 on: September 12, 2018, 10:32:07 am »
I'll answer Tucker Carlson's hard questions.

California is demonstrably more stable and prosperous than it has been for decades. Lower crime rate, better schools, less pollution, better wages, faster economic growth. Housing prices are a big problem, but most metrics used to measure progress show California to be thriving.

"Now the schools in California are a complete disaster.

No they aren't. They're better than they've been for a long time. Not perfect by any means, but they're improving.

The middle class is vanishing,

So conservatives are interested in tackling inequality now? Great. Let's start looking at what went wrong during the Reagan era, and think about how to fix it.

and the nationís largest mass of impoverished people

California is the nation's most populous state, but not the poorest. Red states dominate the poverty rankings.

remains behind to serve a tiny pool of tech oligarchs.

You mean the "self-starting, job creator, visionary entrepreneurs" that Republicans were always celebrating until the Party of Personal Responsibility adopted the Trumpist line that everything is everyone else's fault?

How exactly did that happen?

Hard to provide details for a non-factual claim.

Ah, so you want to wilfully misinterpret the meaning of diversity as most people understand and use it. Got it. But maybe it's worth pointing out that I grew up in one of the most diverse areas of California, one that has been minority-majority since the mid-90s, and this characterization has never fit.

If you can't understand your coworkers or find common values with them, you might want to think about changing careers. And no, having Tagalog and Spanish-speaking neighbors didn't negatively affect any aspect of my life. That's an honest answer. In fact, my brother and many of my friends ended up dating or marrying members of these supposedly separate communities. So no, understanding and common values weren't in short supply. At my high school, the first languages spoken in students' households included Chinese, Spanish, Arabic, Tagalog, Portugese, Italian, Korean, Urdu, Hindi and Punjabi. For the most part, we got along fine.

"And if diversity is our strength, why is it OK for the rest of us to surrender one of our central rights, freedom of speech, to just a handful of tech monopolies?

Lucky for you, you don't have to! No one's throwing you in jail, Tucker. In fact, you get paid a lot of money to share your opinions in various forms of media, and you're more visible than ever now, thanks to the handful of tech monopolies.

And by the way, if your ideas are so obviously true why does anyone who question them need to be shamed, silenced and fired?

They don't. But the most obnoxious, inflammatory, defamatory and irresponsible among the "questioners" don't have an unfettered right to a life free of consequences.

It's not. But I could probably pull a few clips from Fox News that might suggest otherwise...

What a thoughtful and relevant question. You've stumped the world's greatest intellects with this one. You win!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:50:49 am by Andyman »

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #249 on: November 06, 2018, 12:00:43 pm »

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #250 on: November 09, 2018, 03:37:43 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld6qYJe4pRs
Yea man! That's why RE prices there are sky high-- no one wants to live in that shit hole.

Where's the riot, bruh?