Read 2825 times

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
Lesson 4: Small Things, Big Differences
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:53:58 am »
This is a thread for any lesson material for 동아출판 Middle School English 1 Lesson 4: Small Things, Big Differences. Please share your contributions here. Be sure to explain exactly what you are posting and please do not post multi-level materials in this thread. Also, any review lessons or materials should be posted in the review section for this grade. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check out the older edition of the book for similar materials. Best of luck in your lesson planning!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:49:16 am by sheila »
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• LisaaC
  • Newgookin

• March 19, 2018, 02:42:51 pm
Re: Lesson 4: Small Things, Big Differences
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 02:13:27 pm »
Is there no main thread for this textbook? I can't seem to find it...

• granty451
  • Waygookin

• February 23, 2017, 08:24:38 pm
    • Sejong
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 02:51:44 pm »
Make sure to print and laminate the cards :)

Removed - check out K_orshare.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 08:42:57 am by granty451 »

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:18:33 pm »
I made a standard past tense lesson for part 1 of this chapter.
Includes vocab/key expression PPT, mission impossible activity (instructions included in the PPT) and a worksheet.
Make sure to remind your students that the missing words in the mission impossible activity are all in the past tense.
Thank you to the other contributors to this book, I used a few of your ideas here and there.

• emcee
  • Adventurer

• November 21, 2016, 08:00:56 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 08:49:54 am »
Pretty basic lesson based off the book.

Hope it helps

Thanks

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 03:08:05 pm »
I don't have "stellar" lessons, but the students got a kick out of this one. This is NOT my ppt, I found it on waygook and made some smallllllllllllll tweaks!

PPT "gif" game

Additional Handout (that I give to students, we also played a "zombie" game where students practice the dialog, and beforehad I secretly choose 6-7 students who are zombies and at the end of the game, those who have the zombie names are dead. Those who are alive get a "student dollar" (we have a dollar system in my class)).

Pictionary card game (We use mini whiteboards and students in their groups play pictionary. The guessers have to say a full correct sentence in English. Students love this)

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 01:13:49 pm »
I've been making after-school lessons from middle school books for my 5th and 6th elementary school students, I'm not sure if the Korean is alright on the slides.

• treeclouds
  • Waygookin

• February 08, 2017, 12:32:04 am
    • Brighton
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 02:05:41 pm »
Here's a few lessons I've used about past tense for this chapter. They tend to repeat quite a bit cos often I don't fit in everything in the first lesson so use it in the next. Also I usually spend 5-10 minutes on phonics at the start and I've left those in (could be useful).

Happy teaching

• kuitair
  • Waygookin

• September 03, 2017, 07:30:19 am
    • 경남 사천시 동서금동
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 06:06:15 am »
I played a line bingo with my students, went over the dialogue, then played this board game.

Print out the board for students in groups of 4-5.
Print out the cards on the 2nd page 2x for each board.
Have a die available or use a computerized die that the teacher controls every round.

Students roll the die and move forward. The student must use a past tense sentence to describe the picture. For example, "I played computer games," or, "I rode my bike." If the student lands on a question mark, the student must say what he/she has done last weekend.

Then, using cards from the 2nd page, student will answer the question of, "How was it?". After the student reads the card, the student will move ahead or back according the the instructions on that card. Then the next student goes.

My students already took the text and wanted to watch a movie, but found this game super exciting. It seems impossible  to actually finish the game.

Note: I am adding the word document file in-case someone wants to change to pictures. I prefer the pdf because I had the problem of all  the pictures shifting out of the board game boxes whenever I switched computers.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:05:45 am by kuitair »

• roisin171
  • Adventurer

• February 12, 2019, 01:18:23 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 08:53:27 am »
Here's my ppt for lesson 4.

For the 'challenge' part, when the music stops and the student who has the ball had to stand up. I got the rest of the class to ask the student "what did you do <time phrase on the screen>?'. I repeated this with the 'How was it?' I had 'fun, exciting, boring, great, fantastic, wonderful, okay, perfect, alright, good, terrible , awful and so-so' written on the board. I would strike out the word once a student had picked it as they are parrots and like to repeat the previous student. If a student intentionally passes the ball extremely slowly, I would stop the music so they would have to answer the question. If they did it slowly again, I would stop it straight away and make them answer the next one, in an attempt to go faster. Also it would be a good idea to say not to throw the ball across the room to a random student. but rather do it in a snake pattern so everyone will get the ball.
The  'Kevin's diary' activity was taken from the  자료실 section on the dvd, you can download it and its page 46+47.

hope this all makes sense. posting it in my 10 mins between class and dont have time to reread