Read 547 times

  • minako
  • Newgookin

    • 4

    • April 10, 2018, 11:10:30 am
Signing a contract - confused
« on: April 10, 2018, 12:23:42 pm »
Hi. I am about to sign a contract with a new English school (hagwon) soon and I have some questions. I am on F6 visa.

1.Registering with MOE
Everyone teaching English must be registered with MOE, no matter what visa they have, right?
The boss from my last hagwon said she'd registered me with MOE but I don't trust her.
Q1: Is there any way I can check with MOE to see if I'm registered or not.
Q2: My new school is in another city, do I have to register here too?

2.Confused about taxes in my contract.
I am still confused about how much taxes I'm supposed to pay. I read that paying just 3.3% usually means they register you as an independent contractor. In this case:
Q3: Am I allowed to work as an independent contractor on F6? If I am, do I have to pay any other taxes by myself?
Q4: As a regular employee, is the school required to include insurance in my contract? How much is that? Is that the one called 4대보험 - 4 insurances or something? But I guess one of these 4 include pension and I read online that schools are not required to provide pension. Is that true? So how much taxes should I really be paying?

Oh I forgot to mention that my contract isn't for a full time job. It's kind of a part time job - 4 or 5 hours a day.

I just want to make sure everything is done legally and I am paying all the taxes I'm supposed to.

Sorry for so many question and thank you in advance for your help.

  • thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

    • 1718

    • June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: Signing a contract - confused
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:58:28 am »
The independent contractor title is abused here. It is supposed to be for legit contractor work meaning the company doesn't regularly schedule you etc.

If you choose to go the IC route then you will be responsible for taxes, health insurance and pension payments.

I honestly don't know how it works for part time employees though. Your employer should register you as a regular employee and pay for the extras (nps, nhs, and taxes).

* Oh and severance payments too!!!!