Read 944 times

• Desert18
  • Newgookin

• March 16, 2018, 09:01:12 am
    • California
Newbie in need of trained eye!
« on: March 16, 2018, 11:28:07 am »
I'm a first time teacher and I was sent this contract by a government run hagwon. I like the hours and thought the government support would lessen the chance of shadiness, but the contract seems worryingly unspecific. I'm a little concerned about the lack of details in the insurance/pension sections. That break down of hours to a daily rate if you're absent or late isn't something I've seen on others' posts.

During my interview, it also sounded like my apartment wouldn't actually be furnished. Specifically, I know it will be lacking a bed. That bothers me, but I'm not sure if that's worth thinking about too much? They seem to offer more than usual in way of housing reimbursement and I'm considering that route. It's a school in eastern Incheon fyi

Any feedback would be helpful!

EMPLOYEE REQUIREMENTS 피고용인의 조건
1 The Employee will act in a professional manner and be responsible for conducting professional English Language classes.
피고용인은 적합한 직업의식을 갖추어 전문적인 영어 수업진행에 임할 책임이 있다.

2. The Employee has to work on a regularly set schedule. Working hours is generally from 14:00 to 20:20, Monday through Friday (14:00-15:00 preparation time). Overall, Employees has to do 30 hours of teaching per week or 120 hours of teaching per month. However, the set schedule is not applicable to certain cases such as the summer and winter intensive course periods.
피고용인은 정해진 시간에 근무해야 한다. 근무시간은 일반적으로 오후 2시 00분 부터 오후 8시20분까지를 근무시간으로 한다. 피고용인은 월요일부터 금요일, 주 5일 근무를 원칙으로 하며 주 당 30시간 또는 월 단위 총 수업시간 120 시간을 근무해야 한다. 이 근무시간은 여름, 겨울방학 특강 기간에는 적용되지 않는다.

3. The Employee is required to attend events held by the Employer such as workshops, a year- end party, retreats, academic seminars, etc. 피고용인은 고용인이 주최하는 워크숍, 송년회, 야유회, 세미나 등의 행사에 참여 하여야 한다.

III. SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE EMPLOYER 고용주의 의무 이행사항

1. PAYMENT
급여지급
1.1 The Employer will pay a monthly salary of 2.2 million for regularly scheduled hours. Monthly salary payments will be made on the 20th day of the month(or before 20th day in case of weekends or national holidays) during which the employment services were provided.
고용주는 피고용인에게 매 달 정상적인 근무시간에 대한 용역 제공에 대하여 매달 20일 또는 이전에(주말이나 국경일인 경우) ( 220 )만원의 급여를 지급한다

1.2 If the Employee fails to work on the set hours due to tardiness, absence, etc.; the monthly payment will be calculated and paid using a daily rate and/or an hourly rate.
만일 피고용인이 지각 또는 결근 등의 이유로 인해 정해진 근무시간을 채우 지 못했을 경우에는 월 급여를 일급과 시급에 의해 계산하고 지급한다.
The method for calculating the daily rate: Monthly salary divided by 30.
 일급 계산법: (월 급여) / 30

The method for calculating the hourly rate: Daily rate divided by 6. 시급 계산법: (일급) / 6

1.3 If the Employee works overtime on weekdays, the Employee will get paid 25,000 won per hour for the overtime work.
만일 피고용인이 평일에 시간외 근무를 하면 시간외 근무에 대해 시간당 25,000원을 지급받는다.

1.4 In the event that the Employee doesn’t start working on the very first day of the month, their working days for that month will be counted from the day when they start working on a regular schedule. 피고용인이 그 달의 첫 날에 근무를 시작하지 않은 경우에, 피고용인의 해 당월 급여는 정상적인 근무 스케줄을 시작한 날부터 계산된다.

2. HOUSING 주택 제공

2.1 The Employee can be provided with a single furnished apartment. If the Employee get his/her own apartment, the Employee will be provided with housing allowance 450,000 won. The Employee has to pay for utilities and housing management fees associated with the apartment.
피고용인은 기본적인 가구가 준비된 숙소를 무상으로 제공 받는다. 혹은 피고용인이 아파트를 구할 경우 고용주는 월 45만원을 임대료를 지급한다. 공과금 및 숙소관리비용 등은 피고용인이 부담하도록 한다.

2.2 The Employee has the duty to preserve the condition of the housing and furnishings until the termination of this contract. If they are damaged or destroyed, the Employee must restore them to their original state or pay the replacement of the same standard of quality.
피고용자는 제공된 숙소와 기본적인 가구 일체를 계약일이 끝나는 날까지 원상보존 할 의무가 있으며, 파손 시에는 원상으로 복구하거나 동일 수준의 대체품을 구비하는데 필요한 비용을 부담하여야 한다.

3. AIRFARE 항공 요금

3.1 The Employer can offer one-way ticket fare(1,000,000 won) in case the Employee stays in his/her home country. If the Employee does NOT complete his/her one year contract, the Employee is not eligible to get the amount of money.

4. HEALTH PLAN 건강 보험

4.1 The Employer will pay 50% of the premium for the Employee’s health plan, which is provided by the Employer and is administered through the Employer. Participation in a health plan is mandatory under Korean Law. The Employee will be responsible for remaining 50 percent of the costs.
고용주는 피고용인의 건강 보험 가입 시 보험료의 반을 부담하며 그에 관한
것은 고용주가 관장한다. 그 외의 제반 비용은 피고용인이 부담한다.

5. SEVERANCE PAY
퇴직금

5.1 The Employer will pay severance to the Employee upon completion
of the contract. The amount of the severance pay will be equal to one month of salary, and if necessary, applicable government deductions will be subtracted.

고용주는 피고용인이 12개월의 계약기간을 종료 할 시 1개월 급여액을 퇴 직금으로 지불하며 만일 필요하다면 정당한 법적 공제액을 공제한다.

6. PAID VACATION 유급 휴가
6.1 The Employee may use the Employer-designated 10 working days as paid vacation per year. Bonus vacation can be given if available between semesters. 피고용인은 1년에 고용주가 지정한 10일간의 정규 근무일을 유급 휴가로 사용할 수 있으며, 필요한 경우에 보너스 휴가를 받 을 수 있다.

6.2 The Employee will be paid for all national holidays and not be expected to work during these days other than on a special occasion in which the Employee agrees to work voluntarily. 피고용인의 급여는 법정 공휴일에도 지급 되며, 피고용인이 자발적으로 동 의한 특별한 경우 외에는 근무하지 않는다.

7. PENSION

7.1 The Employee and the Employer will make regular payment to the Employee’s pension fund, as stipulated by the rules and regulations of Korean National Pension Corporation. If eligible, the Employee will receive a reimbursement of all payments made by him/herself and the Employee upon departure from Korea.
피고용인과 고용인은 국민연금관리공단의 규정과 규칙에 근거하여 정기적인 연금보험료를 납부한다. 피고용인은 관련법규에 따라 출국 후에 연금보험료 를 환급 받을 수 있다.

IV. RENEWAL & TERMINATION OF CONTRACT
재계약과 계약 파기

1. RENEWAL
재계약
1.1 The Employee must give the Employer a written 60-day notice
before renewal or non-renewal of the Employee’s current contract. 피고용인은 고용주에게 재계약 가부 여부를 해당 계약서가 만료되기 60일 전에 서면으로 통고해야 한다.

1.2 Both the Employer and the Employee reserve the option to renew the contract.
고용주와 피고용인 양측은 공히 재계약 선택에 관한 권리를 가진다.

2. TERMINATION OF CONTRACT
계약 파기

2.1 Both parties will give at least a written 60-day notice prior to the
termination date of the contract. If the Employee terminates their employment without giving 60 day notice, unless agreed upon by the Employer, the Employee will be responsible to pay the daily wage for absence days until the Employee’s replacement starts working, as well as all bills associated with recruiting a replacement, housing, utilities, and management fees for the apartment provided for them by the Employer.
쌍방은 계약파기 의사를 문서화하여 계약 파기일 60일 전에 서로에게 통보 하여야 한다. 만약 피고용인이 고용인과의 동의 없이 60일전에 계약을 종료 하는 경우 잔여일 만큼의 일 급여와 대체강사 모집 비용, 숙소 임차료, 공 과금, 관리비 등의 납부 의무를 진다.

2.2 The Employer retains the right to terminate the contract immediately if:
고용주는 다음과 같은 사항에 의해서 계약을 즉각 파기할 수 있는 권리가 있다.
a. The Employee is unable to meet the responsibilities or
conditions required for employment such as being late for class on a continuous basis; continuous failure to keep regularly scheduled class times and repeated absences from classes without a valid reason.

피고용인이 영어강사로서 본인의 책임과 의무를 실행하지 못할 경우; 예를 들어 연속적인 지각, 정해진 수업 시간을 이행하지 않을 경우, 또 는 합당한 이유 없이 계속 결근할 경우.

b. The Employee teaches off the Employer’s property.
피고용인이 고용인이 정한 근무처가 아닌 기타의 곳에서 수업을 진행 한 경우.

c. The Employee uses illegal drugs or is intoxicated during work hours.
피고용인이 불법 약물 복용이나 음주상태에서 근무를 할 경우.

d. The Employee participates in any type of criminal activity or corruption of public morals that violates the laws of the Republic of South Korea.
피고용인이 대한민국 법에 어긋나는 불법행위를 하였거나 범죄행위에 연루 되었을 경우.

e. The Employee receives written warnings from the Employer on two occasions.
피고용인이 고용인으로부터 2회 이상의 서면 경고를 받았을 경우.

f. The Employee tells others about their own employment contract details.
피고용이 자신의 고용계약 내용을 다른 사람에게 말하는 경우

2.3 If,for any reason, the contract is terminated before the full completion of the contract period:
만일 어떠한 이유로든 본 계약이 계약기간 완료 전에 파기될 경우에는:

a. The Employee will not qualify for any benefits such as severance pay.
피고용인은 퇴직금과 같은 혜택을 받지 못한다.

b. The Employee will be wholly responsible for any utilities/maintenance and phone bills remaining for the duration of their housing lease.
피고용인은 고용주가 제공한 숙소에서 거주한 기간 동안에 발생한 제반 잔여 비용에 전적으로 책임을 진다.

2.4 Within 14-days the Employee is required to sign a notice of termination to the Korean Immigration office to notify the Korean Immigration office of the termination.
피고용인은 계약이 파기된 날자를 기준으로 하여 14일 안에 법무부 출입국 관리 사무소에 계약파기에 관한 사실을 통고하여야 한다.

V. VENUE FOR DISPUTES BETWEEN EMPLOYER AND EMPLOYEE
고용주와 피고용인간의 분쟁에 관한 입장
1. The appropriate laws of the Republic of Korea will govern this contract.
However, while both parties enter into this contract with total honesty and integrity, disputes may sometimes occur. In such cases, both parties will be bound by all terms and conditions of this contract and will try to resolve the difference in a civil manner that is fair to both parties. In the event that no solution can be found for a problem and either party decides to terminate this contract, they must do so in accordance with Section IV, 2 above. Upon such termination, both parties will agree to remain civil and to speak honestly and fairly about their experiences and not in a disrespectful manner.
본 계약서는 대한민국의 합법적인 법규의 적용을 받게 된다. 그러나 양측이 정 직한 양심으로 계약 체결에 들어갔어도 종종 분쟁이 일어날 수 있다. 그럴 경우, 양측은 본 계약서에 명시된 계약기간과 조건들을 지켜서 양측간의 이견을 공정하 고도정중한방법으로조정해나가야할것이다. 분쟁사건에있어해결점을찾 기 어려운 경우나 어느 한측이 계약을 파기하고자 할 경우에는, 위에 명시된 4조 2항의 조항들을 지켜야 한다. 이렇게 계약이 종결된 경우에는 양측은 정중한 태 도를 유지하면서 서로간의 예의를 지켜 불미스러운 일이 없도록 해야 할 것이다.

VI. FULL KNOWLEDGE 숙지

1. GOOD FAITH 상호 신뢰
The Employer and the Employee will act in good faith toward each other. The Employer will not dismiss the Employee without what reasonably is considered good cause and the Employee will do their utmost to satisfactorily fulfill all the responsibilities and meet all the conditions as described in the above agreement.
고용주와 피고용인은 상호간의 신뢰를 바탕으로 행동한다. 고용주는 비합리적이 거나 정당한 사유 없이 피고용인을 해고하지 않을 것이며, 피고용인은 본 계약서 내용에 적힌 본인의 의무와 책임을 최선을 다해 이행한다.

2. CHANGES TO CONTRACT 계약서의 변경
The Employer and the Employee agree that they have read the Employment Contract in its entirety and no other verbal agreement, statement or promise made on or before the effective date of this contract will be binding on the parties. Any changes made must be in writing and signed by both parties to be included in this contract. Any changes made to this contract without the knowledge and written consent of both parties are to be considered invalid.
고용주와 피고용인은 본 계약서의 모든 내용을 숙지하며 분 계약서의 유효일 전 구두로 오간 어떠한 약속이나 합의 등, 본 계약서 적혀 있지 않는 한 서로에게 무효하다. 그어떠한변경사항이있을시에는문서화하여쌍방의숙지아래서 명을 하여 본 계약서에 명시를 하여야 하며, 구두로나 그 어떠한 다른 형식으로 이루어진, 문서화 되지 않은 쌍방이 모르는 내용에 관해선 무효이다.

3. TRANSFERAL OF CONTRACT 계약서의 이전
Under no circumstances can the Employer exchange, give, sell, or transfer this contract or the services of the Employee to another party or Institute without the written consent of the Employee.
그 어떠한 경우에도 고용주는 피고용인의 문서화된 동의 없이 본 계약서를 다른 고용주에게 양도, 또는 매매 할 수 없다.

4. LANGUAGE OF CONTRACT 계약서의 언어
The language of this contract is written in English and Korean. In the event of a dispute, the English version of this contract will prevail.
본 계약서는 영문과 한국어로 작성

• dalkyr
  • Veteran

• July 06, 2016, 10:15:53 am
    • USA
Re: Newbie in need of trained eye!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:26:17 pm »
I'm a first time teacher and I was sent this contract by a government run hagwon. I like the hours and thought the government support would lessen the chance of shadiness, but the contract seems worryingly unspecific. I'm a little concerned about the lack of details in the insurance/pension sections. That break down of hours to a daily rate if you're absent or late isn't something I've seen on others' posts.

Heh. "government support would lessen the chance of shadiness". I LOLed at that.

It probably reduces the chance out flat-out illegality (Though even that's not 100% certain) but it doesn't eliminate general shadiness.

During my interview, it also sounded like my apartment wouldn't actually be furnished. Specifically, I know it will be lacking a bed. That bothers me, but I'm not sure if that's worth thinking about too much? They seem to offer more than usual in way of housing reimbursement and I'm considering that route. It's a school in eastern Incheon fyi

Unless you've got a lot of experience in Korea and are willing to come over early I would not recommend trying to do your own apartment as a first-timer.
Apartment-shopping in Korea is... different. Not something you want to be dealing with in you first couple weeks in-country.

You're honestly better off dealing with the partially furnished apartment for your first contract. Maybe see if they'll handle picking up a bed or a futon, even if you have to reimburse them.

Any feedback would be helpful!

EMPLOYEE REQUIREMENTS 피고용인의 조건
1 The Employee will act in a professional manner and be responsible for conducting professional English Language classes.
피고용인은 적합한 직업의식을 갖추어 전문적인 영어 수업진행에 임할 책임이 있다.

2. The Employee has to work on a regularly set schedule. Working hours is generally from 14:00 to 20:20, Monday through Friday (14:00-15:00 preparation time). Overall, Employees has to do 30 hours of teaching per week or 120 hours of teaching per month. However, the set schedule is not applicable to certain cases such as the summer and winter intensive course periods.
피고용인은 정해진 시간에 근무해야 한다. 근무시간은 일반적으로 오후 2시 00분 부터 오후 8시20분까지를 근무시간으로 한다. 피고용인은 월요일부터 금요일, 주 5일 근무를 원칙으로 하며 주 당 30시간 또는 월 단위 총 수업시간 120 시간을 근무해야 한다. 이 근무시간은 여름, 겨울방학 특강 기간에는 적용되지 않는다.

The math here doesn't add up. You *teach* from 3:00-8:00. That's 5 hours. 5 days a week, that's 25 hours. So.... Where's the extra 5 hours? Are they including prep time in your allocated "teaching time"? That's something I've literally never seen before.

3. The Employee is required to attend events held by the Employer such as workshops, a year- end party, retreats, academic seminars, etc. 피고용인은 고용인이 주최하는 워크숍, 송년회, 야유회, 세미나 등의 행사에 참여 하여야 한다.

What's not mentioned is that these events are *unpaid*. I guarantee it.

III. SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE EMPLOYER 고용주의 의무 이행사항

1. PAYMENT
급여지급
1.1 The Employer will pay a monthly salary of 2.2 million for regularly scheduled hours. Monthly salary payments will be made on the 20th day of the month(or before 20th day in case of weekends or national holidays) during which the employment services were provided.
고용주는 피고용인에게 매 달 정상적인 근무시간에 대한 용역 제공에 대하여 매달 20일 또는 이전에(주말이나 국경일인 경우) ( 220 )만원의 급여를 지급한다

2.2 isn't *terrible*, but it's not spectacular for Incheon/Seoul metro area. You'll be able to live, but maybe not live it up.

The mention of the 20th worried me, but then I saw that it's 20th *for the current month*. Which is pretty spectacular. Most hagwons pay on the 10th (Or later!) for the previous month.

1.2 If the Employee fails to work on the set hours due to tardiness, absence, etc.; the monthly payment will be calculated and paid using a daily rate and/or an hourly rate.
만일 피고용인이 지각 또는 결근 등의 이유로 인해 정해진 근무시간을 채우 지 못했을 경우에는 월 급여를 일급과 시급에 의해 계산하고 지급한다.
The method for calculating the daily rate: Monthly salary divided by 30.
 일급 계산법: (월 급여) / 30

The method for calculating the hourly rate: Daily rate divided by 6. 시급 계산법: (일급) / 6

This is a bit specific, but not that odd. Most schools just bundle this into "unpaid time off".

Things to think about here:
-There's no grace period, be it "More than 5 minutes late" or "Late more than 2 times".
-Based on the "divided by 6" thing here it looks like they *are* including the prep time in your "teaching" hours.

1.3 If the Employee works overtime on weekdays, the Employee will get paid 25,000 won per hour for the overtime work.
만일 피고용인이 평일에 시간외 근무를 하면 시간외 근무에 대해 시간당 25,000원을 지급받는다.

Decent OT rate.

1.4 In the event that the Employee doesn’t start working on the very first day of the month, their working days for that month will be counted from the day when they start working on a regular schedule. 피고용인이 그 달의 첫 날에 근무를 시작하지 않은 경우에, 피고용인의 해 당월 급여는 정상적인 근무 스케줄을 시작한 날부터 계산된다.

"On the regular schedule" is a bit worrisome. It implies that you're not going to get paid for any training/observation days they have you do.

2. HOUSING 주택 제공

2.1 The Employee can be provided with a single furnished apartment. If the Employee get his/her own apartment, the Employee will be provided with housing allowance 450,000 won. The Employee has to pay for utilities and housing management fees associated with the apartment.
피고용인은 기본적인 가구가 준비된 숙소를 무상으로 제공 받는다. 혹은 피고용인이 아파트를 구할 경우 고용주는 월 45만원을 임대료를 지급한다. 공과금 및 숙소관리비용 등은 피고용인이 부담하도록 한다.

I'm firmly on team "The furnishings should be listed in the contract". That way you know what you're getting, and if they skimp you can point to the contract for support.

Also: Make sure wherever you end up has AC. Summers in Incheon are like living in Satan's sweaty jockstrap.

2.2 The Employee has the duty to preserve the condition of the housing and furnishings until the termination of this contract. If they are damaged or destroyed, the Employee must restore them to their original state or pay the replacement of the same standard of quality.
피고용자는 제공된 숙소와 기본적인 가구 일체를 계약일이 끝나는 날까지 원상보존 할 의무가 있으며, 파손 시에는 원상으로 복구하거나 동일 수준의 대체품을 구비하는데 필요한 비용을 부담하여야 한다.

3. AIRFARE 항공 요금

3.1 The Employer can offer one-way ticket fare(1,000,000 won) in case the Employee stays in his/her home country. If the Employee does NOT complete his/her one year contract, the Employee is not eligible to get the amount of money.

"stays in"? I'm going to assume that's a bad translation for "You're living outside of Korea".

I'm a bit worried by "is not eligible". Airfare reimbursement if you quit is becoming more common, but this reads like they're not going to pay for your ticket until the end of the contract.

4. HEALTH PLAN 건강 보험

4.1 The Employer will pay 50% of the premium for the Employee’s health plan, which is provided by the Employer and is administered through the Employer. Participation in a health plan is mandatory under Korean Law. The Employee will be responsible for remaining 50 percent of the costs.
고용주는 피고용인의 건강 보험 가입 시 보험료의 반을 부담하며 그에 관한
것은 고용주가 관장한다. 그 외의 제반 비용은 피고용인이 부담한다.

This is worryingly non-specific. I mean, it's government run, so *in theory* "administered by the employer" could refer to the NHIC. But... Dubious.

"Participation in a health plan" isn't mandatory. Participation in THE health plan is mandatory.

This needs to be clarified and detailed in a huge way before you sign anything.

5. SEVERANCE PAY
퇴직금

5.1 The Employer will pay severance to the Employee upon completion
of the contract. The amount of the severance pay will be equal to one month of salary, and if necessary, applicable government deductions will be subtracted.

고용주는 피고용인이 12개월의 계약기간을 종료 할 시 1개월 급여액을 퇴 직금으로 지불하며 만일 필요하다면 정당한 법적 공제액을 공제한다.

6. PAID VACATION 유급 휴가
6.1 The Employee may use the Employer-designated 10 working days as paid vacation per year. Bonus vacation can be given if available between semesters. 피고용인은 1년에 고용주가 지정한 10일간의 정규 근무일을 유급 휴가로 사용할 수 있으며, 필요한 경우에 보너스 휴가를 받 을 수 있다.

Employer-designated vacation? That's uncool.

6.2 The Employee will be paid for all national holidays and not be expected to work during these days other than on a special occasion in which the Employee agrees to work voluntarily. 피고용인의 급여는 법정 공휴일에도 지급 되며, 피고용인이 자발적으로 동 의한 특별한 경우 외에는 근무하지 않는다.

"Voluntarily". That's a good one. The chances of them scheduling something on a Red Day aren't very high, but if they *do* I can guaran-damn-tee you "voluntary" won't come into the equation.

7. PENSION

7.1 The Employee and the Employer will make regular payment to the Employee’s pension fund, as stipulated by the rules and regulations of Korean National Pension Corporation. If eligible, the Employee will receive a reimbursement of all payments made by him/herself and the Employee upon departure from Korea.
피고용인과 고용인은 국민연금관리공단의 규정과 규칙에 근거하여 정기적인 연금보험료를 납부한다. 피고용인은 관련법규에 따라 출국 후에 연금보험료 를 환급 받을 수 있다.

So, pension is good. And lends a bit of credence to the health insurance being NHIC. But, again, frustratingly non-specific. What's the split? (Usual is 50/50)

IV. RENEWAL & TERMINATION OF CONTRACT
재계약과 계약 파기

1. RENEWAL
재계약
1.1 The Employee must give the Employer a written 60-day notice
before renewal or non-renewal of the Employee’s current contract. 피고용인은 고용주에게 재계약 가부 여부를 해당 계약서가 만료되기 60일 전에 서면으로 통고해야 한다.

1.2 Both the Employer and the Employee reserve the option to renew the contract.
고용주와 피고용인 양측은 공히 재계약 선택에 관한 권리를 가진다.

Heh. This... Wow. So the way this clause is worded (And the Korean bears it out) *either* of you could unilaterally decide to renew the contract. I'm sure it wouldn't work out that way, but that's the way it's written.

2. TERMINATION OF CONTRACT
계약 파기

2.1 Both parties will give at least a written 60-day notice prior to the
termination date of the contract. If the Employee terminates their employment without giving 60 day notice, unless agreed upon by the Employer, the Employee will be responsible to pay the daily wage for absence days until the Employee’s replacement starts working, as well as all bills associated with recruiting a replacement, housing, utilities, and management fees for the apartment provided for them by the Employer.
쌍방은 계약파기 의사를 문서화하여 계약 파기일 60일 전에 서로에게 통보 하여야 한다. 만약 피고용인이 고용인과의 동의 없이 60일전에 계약을 종료 하는 경우 잔여일 만큼의 일 급여와 대체강사 모집 비용, 숙소 임차료, 공 과금, 관리비 등의 납부 의무를 진다.

Whoops! Changed my mind about the whole "reduces the chance out flat-out illegality" thing. This is...
 Wow. Just... Wow. No. Nyet. Nein. NOPE.

Housing costs are a maybe, but the rest of this almost certainly adds up to illegal penalties. And even if it doesn't, it's still a dick move.

2.2 The Employer retains the right to terminate the contract immediately if:
고용주는 다음과 같은 사항에 의해서 계약을 즉각 파기할 수 있는 권리가 있다.
a. The Employee is unable to meet the responsibilities or
conditions required for employment such as being late for class on a continuous basis; continuous failure to keep regularly scheduled class times and repeated absences from classes without a valid reason.

피고용인이 영어강사로서 본인의 책임과 의무를 실행하지 못할 경우; 예를 들어 연속적인 지각, 정해진 수업 시간을 이행하지 않을 경우, 또 는 합당한 이유 없이 계속 결근할 경우.

b. The Employee teaches off the Employer’s property.
피고용인이 고용인이 정한 근무처가 아닌 기타의 곳에서 수업을 진행 한 경우.

c. The Employee uses illegal drugs or is intoxicated during work hours.
피고용인이 불법 약물 복용이나 음주상태에서 근무를 할 경우.

d. The Employee participates in any type of criminal activity or corruption of public morals that violates the laws of the Republic of South Korea.
피고용인이 대한민국 법에 어긋나는 불법행위를 하였거나 범죄행위에 연루 되었을 경우.

e. The Employee receives written warnings from the Employer on two occasions.
피고용인이 고용인으로부터 2회 이상의 서면 경고를 받았을 경우.

f. The Employee tells others about their own employment contract details.
피고용이 자신의 고용계약 내용을 다른 사람에게 말하는 경우

2.3 If,for any reason, the contract is terminated before the full completion of the contract period:
만일 어떠한 이유로든 본 계약이 계약기간 완료 전에 파기될 경우에는:

a. The Employee will not qualify for any benefits such as severance pay.
피고용인은 퇴직금과 같은 혜택을 받지 못한다.

b. The Employee will be wholly responsible for any utilities/maintenance and phone bills remaining for the duration of their housing lease.
피고용인은 고용주가 제공한 숙소에서 거주한 기간 동안에 발생한 제반 잔여 비용에 전적으로 책임을 진다.

Again, pretty sure this is illegal.

2.4 Within 14-days the Employee is required to sign a notice of termination to the Korean Immigration office to notify the Korean Immigration office of the termination.
피고용인은 계약이 파기된 날자를 기준으로 하여 14일 안에 법무부 출입국 관리 사무소에 계약파기에 관한 사실을 통고하여야 한다.

Um... No? This is actually the employer's job, not the employee's, since they're the visa sponsors.

V. VENUE FOR DISPUTES BETWEEN EMPLOYER AND EMPLOYEE
고용주와 피고용인간의 분쟁에 관한 입장
1. The appropriate laws of the Republic of Korea will govern this contract.
However, while both parties enter into this contract with total honesty and integrity, disputes may sometimes occur. In such cases, both parties will be bound by all terms and conditions of this contract and will try to resolve the difference in a civil manner that is fair to both parties. In the event that no solution can be found for a problem and either party decides to terminate this contract, they must do so in accordance with Section IV, 2 above. Upon such termination, both parties will agree to remain civil and to speak honestly and fairly about their experiences and not in a disrespectful manner.
본 계약서는 대한민국의 합법적인 법규의 적용을 받게 된다. 그러나 양측이 정 직한 양심으로 계약 체결에 들어갔어도 종종 분쟁이 일어날 수 있다. 그럴 경우, 양측은 본 계약서에 명시된 계약기간과 조건들을 지켜서 양측간의 이견을 공정하 고도정중한방법으로조정해나가야할것이다. 분쟁사건에있어해결점을찾 기 어려운 경우나 어느 한측이 계약을 파기하고자 할 경우에는, 위에 명시된 4조 2항의 조항들을 지켜야 한다. 이렇게 계약이 종결된 경우에는 양측은 정중한 태 도를 유지하면서 서로간의 예의를 지켜 불미스러운 일이 없도록 해야 할 것이다.

VI. FULL KNOWLEDGE 숙지

1. GOOD FAITH 상호 신뢰
The Employer and the Employee will act in good faith toward each other. The Employer will not dismiss the Employee without what reasonably is considered good cause and the Employee will do their utmost to satisfactorily fulfill all the responsibilities and meet all the conditions as described in the above agreement.
고용주와 피고용인은 상호간의 신뢰를 바탕으로 행동한다. 고용주는 비합리적이 거나 정당한 사유 없이 피고용인을 해고하지 않을 것이며, 피고용인은 본 계약서 내용에 적힌 본인의 의무와 책임을 최선을 다해 이행한다.

2. CHANGES TO CONTRACT 계약서의 변경
The Employer and the Employee agree that they have read the Employment Contract in its entirety and no other verbal agreement, statement or promise made on or before the effective date of this contract will be binding on the parties. Any changes made must be in writing and signed by both parties to be included in this contract. Any changes made to this contract without the knowledge and written consent of both parties are to be considered invalid.
고용주와 피고용인은 본 계약서의 모든 내용을 숙지하며 분 계약서의 유효일 전 구두로 오간 어떠한 약속이나 합의 등, 본 계약서 적혀 있지 않는 한 서로에게 무효하다. 그어떠한변경사항이있을시에는문서화하여쌍방의숙지아래서 명을 하여 본 계약서에 명시를 하여야 하며, 구두로나 그 어떠한 다른 형식으로 이루어진, 문서화 되지 않은 쌍방이 모르는 내용에 관해선 무효이다.

3. TRANSFERAL OF CONTRACT 계약서의 이전
Under no circumstances can the Employer exchange, give, sell, or transfer this contract or the services of the Employee to another party or Institute without the written consent of the Employee.
그 어떠한 경우에도 고용주는 피고용인의 문서화된 동의 없이 본 계약서를 다른 고용주에게 양도, 또는 매매 할 수 없다.

4. LANGUAGE OF CONTRACT 계약서의 언어
The language of this contract is written in English and Korean. In the event of a dispute, the English version of this contract will prevail.
본 계약서는 영문과 한국어로 작성

Oof. If the English version is the master then you *definitely* want to get the non-specific sections cleared up. I was kinda hoping they were just translation artifacts.

So, it's not terrible. Hours are good. Pay is decent, though not spectacular.

However, the overall lack of specificity worries me, especially combined with the areas where they're VERY specific... about how they're going to screw you if you quit.

I guess it kinda depends on what kind of vibe you got from the place. If it seems like a decent place, then maybe expend some effort trying to negotiate some clarity into the contract. If your vibe is neutral or iffy, then pass.