Read 1090 times

Can my hagwon sue me for non intentional damages?
« on: March 12, 2018, 05:52:26 pm »
So I being a new foreigner in Korea signed a contract with several illegal clauses in it including not paying health care and insurance not to mention a stressful work environment.  When I quit my job they made illegal deductions to my salary and when I took them to the labor board over it they told me that I would be sued for damages done to the hagwon because a couple students left because of my classes. I wasn't given a lot of training and both my coworkers thought I was being treated unfairly by my head teacher and director, one of them quit as well. So my question is; 1) can they actually sue me if I didn't intentionally damage the school and if they can will it hold up in court? The second is if they were just trying to frighten me into not pursuing this matter further can I refile again? I have the audio of the labor board hearing recorded on my phone. The third is does anyone know of any online resources where I could get legal advice via email from a korean lawyer who might tell me how to proceed? Thank you

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: Can my hagwon sue me for non intentional damages?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:40:14 am »
Seoul Global Center- http://global.seoul.go.kr/index.do

Very doubtful they can prove you caused the damages.

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:27:57 am »
Pfft, very doubtful. Sounds like they're just trying to scare you into backing off from the labor board, or maybe to recover what they'll lose.

In any case, don't seek legal advice on boards like this one. Lots of wrong information has gotten a lot of folks in big trouble later on down the road.

I sent you a PM referring you to a group that will either be able to answer your questions more definitively or refer you to someone who can.

• dalkyr
  • Veteran

• July 06, 2016, 10:15:53 am
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:44:03 pm »
In any case, don't seek legal advice on boards like this one. Lots of wrong information has gotten a lot of folks in big trouble later on down the road.

Dead on. Korea's defamation and libel laws are pretty convoluted. Any advice you get from a bunch of non-expert non-natives is going to worth exactly what you paid for it, if not less.

My worthless advice: Talk to the folks Chinguetti recommended. (I'm pretty sure I know where she sent you) Don't worry too much about it, because it's likely a bluff, but don't ignore it either.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:36:24 am »
Let me get this straight....they are theatening to sue you because a couple of kids quit the hakwon.  Well then arrest every foreigner that has ever worked for a hakwon then.  Shoot I've had kids quit on me because they didn't like how I looked or found me boring.  WOW!! CALL THE NATIONAL GUARDS WE'VE GOT A CONVICT HERE WHO DIDN'T PLAY ENOUGH BOMB GAMES IN CLASS  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  Unless you were coming into work drunk/super hungover or touched the kids inaapropreately or hit a kid, they have no grounds to sue you and nothing to prove that you were bad for business other than hearsay.  FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AND KEEP PURSUING THE LABOR BOARD.