Read 6515 times

Re: What is the definition of a lifer?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 08:58:56 pm »
Someone who has lost all hope!+

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 09:37:53 pm »
I am saying this because I have lived here for over ten years (with a break), and it's not a healthy life for anyone living here for an extended period of time. (myself included). 
I think living in Korea (for me) is like observing an aquarium.  You can dip your hands in the top if you wish and get some nibbles (but more often than not, get your hand eaten off), and you can look at what's going on inside, but you can't really jump in and swim with the fish.  You will always be an observer....

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 12:14:23 am »
I am saying this because I have lived here for over ten years (with a break), and it's not a healthy life for anyone living here for an extended period of time. (myself included). 
I think living in Korea (for me) is like observing an aquarium.  You can dip your hands in the top if you wish and get some nibbles (but more often than not, get your hand eaten off), and you can look at what's going on inside, but you can't really jump in and swim with the fish.  You will always be an observer....

+1
Catch my drift?

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 08:11:29 am »

Well said.

Obligatory sarcasm in 3, 2, 1

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 09:58:52 am »
Someone who's married to a local, has bought property here, is fluent in Korean and sending their kids to schools here, I'd say.

But most people who have been here forever and will be here forever are nowhere near fluent. Not even remotely close. In fact, the TOPIK test would classify their level as ďbeginnerĒ. Why? Korean is a hard f - ing language and most adults canít pick up languages as well as youngsters. Their brain has changed. A lot of Koreans look down on long term Westerns who arenít fluent (which is almost all), but they should really cut them some slack. Theyíre underestimating what a gargantuan undertaking it is.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 10:17:35 am »
Are we really regurgitating boring posts from 2018 so some people can see their
"writing" on the internet?

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 10:18:50 am »

Is this an entry for "Stupid Thread of the Week"?

This guy nailed it.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2021, 11:01:19 am »
ďThis guyĒ is you. 

Same writing style. Same info given.

Last fdny post: March 08, 2018.

First SPQR post: March 09, 2018.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2021, 11:28:43 am »
Way to go, Sport! You deserve another merit badge for that one.

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2021, 08:22:01 am »
Someone who's married to a local, has bought property here, is fluent in Korean and sending their kids to schools here, I'd say.

Sounds like a good definition. If youíre not invested in Korean society, then youíre a passer thru.

Iíd also add something on cultural adaptation. Notice that lifers in America adapt to Western philosophy even though itís really weird for them (coming from China, Korea, India, etc). Thatís when we call them a real American, otherwise we donít really refer to them as real Americans (e.g. people living in Chinatown who refuse to learn the local language and ways). Right? Similarly, Iíd say if youíve been here 10yrs but still havenít adapted to Korean philosophy/thinking, then youíre living in an ďexpat bubble,Ē still a passer thru.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2021, 02:27:25 am »
How long do you have to be here to consider yourself a lifer? I.e. what is the 'point of no return'.
There is a guy i met in a bar in 2017 who said before the night was over that this was his "last stop". And he would never leave. He's 15+ years younger than me and i was a bit surprised. But he says this is as good as it gets and has no fall-back plan. (He raves about the "brothels". I don't inquire.) That was 4 years ago. I saw him again not long ago. He forgot my name (for the third time - maybe a few too many beers he's pounding). He seems as settled as always. He's been in this small town for 10 years. And i guess it'll be where he'll remain until he has just remains.

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2021, 02:47:22 pm »
It's a major organ in the left side of your abdomen which excretes bile and filters poisons out of your body.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2021, 02:55:11 pm »
I think there are two different types of lifers in Korea; those who (attempt?) to assimilate and those who donít.

Why are you looking down at those who donít? Korea is obviously offering them something the next best option doesnít!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2021, 09:10:21 am »
I think there are two different types of lifers in Korea; those who (attempt?) to assimilate and those who donít.
New members of the Borg vs. expats.

Yeah. That sounds right.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2021, 08:44:29 am »

Iíd say if youíve been here 10yrs but still havenít adapted to Korean philosophy/thinking, then youíre living in an ďexpat bubble,Ē still a passer thru.

This is just plain nuts. What you are in effect saying is this:

"If you haven't drank the Kool-Aid, you're not one of us."

pish posh load of tosh

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2021, 11:57:49 am »
Sounds like a good definition. If youíre not invested in Korean society, then youíre a passer thru.

Iíd also add something on cultural adaptation. Notice that lifers in America adapt to Western philosophy even though itís really weird for them (coming from China, Korea, India, etc). Thatís when we call them a real American, otherwise we donít really refer to them as real Americans (e.g. people living in Chinatown who refuse to learn the local language and ways). Right? Similarly, Iíd say if youíve been here 10yrs but still havenít adapted to Korean philosophy/thinking, then youíre living in an ďexpat bubble,Ē still a passer thru.

I eat kimchi and say "Japan baaad."

Have I culturally adapted??
Join the WhenInRome Fan Club!
Shout out to Mr. DeMartino... the first member. Thank you my son! ;)

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2021, 12:45:54 pm »
I say more than a few expats are going to end up like "immigrant daddy" back home. Angry, working a mediocre job even though they feel they should be some high-up, yelling at their kids not to watch or listen to anything in the local language. Spending time with other immigrant daddies at some immigrant dive bar and snarling about the country they now live in. Kid playing today's music and daddy comes storming in and saying how they need to listen to music from back home that's 60 years old. Every other dinner conversation being about how much the country they live in sucks compared to "The Old Country".  Completely disconnected from society, current events and trends in their country, kid's friends saying "Your dad is always so angry...He's scary...Why was he so rude to us?" etc. etc.

Word to the wise: You don't want to be immigrant daddy.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 12:51:50 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2021, 07:09:03 pm »

Better yet: You most definitely don't want to be DeMartino!

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2021, 08:21:31 pm »
I say more than a few expats are going to end up like "immigrant daddy" back home. Angry, working a mediocre job even though they feel they should be some high-up, yelling at their kids not to watch or listen to anything in the local language. Spending time with other immigrant daddies at some immigrant dive bar and snarling about the country they now live in. Kid playing today's music and daddy comes storming in and saying how they need to listen to music from back home that's 60 years old. Every other dinner conversation being about how much the country they live in sucks compared to "The Old Country".  Completely disconnected from society, current events and trends in their country, kid's friends saying "Your dad is always so angry...He's scary...Why was he so rude to us?" etc. etc.

Wow this post is really revealing. Thanks for sharing de martini.

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2021, 05:12:36 pm »
A lifer is a person who intends or expects to live here for their entire life. Thread closed.

If you're trying to explore what kind of person that is, they are typically people from other Asian countries.

If you're actually meaning English speaking residents who live here  I don't know.

Mod edit: deleted blatant trolling.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:37:17 am by Kyndo »
oo oo ahh ahh