Read 6523 times

What is the definition of a lifer?
« on: February 09, 2018, 12:32:32 pm »
How long do you have to be here to consider yourself a lifer? I.e. what is the 'point of no return'.

Re: What is the definition of a lifer?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:14:19 pm »
Someone who's married to a local, has bought property here, is fluent in Korean and sending their kids to schools here, I'd say.

• JahMoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 11, 2016, 12:55:18 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do, ROK
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 01:24:10 pm »
Someone who's married to a local, has bought property here, is fluent in Korean and sending their kids to schools here, I'd say.

What if none of your life goals include marriage, children, or owning property?
 I'd say fluency, visa upgrade, and intent to stay should be enough.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 01:27:56 pm »
do you mean an immigrant?

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:30:16 pm »

No, fair enough I was just saying those things would indicate someone was a lifer, not that lifers all have those things. Marriage to a local and kids is also the primary reason people become lifers here in my experience. Never met a single person who expressed a long term interest
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:32:57 pm by eggieguffer »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 01:53:44 pm »

No, fair enough I was just saying those things would indicate someone was a lifer, not that lifers all have those things. Marriage to a local and kids is also the primary reason people become lifers here in my experience. Never met a single person who expressed a long term interest

I do know a single American university professor with an F2.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 01:58:46 pm »

What's his story?

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 02:00:48 pm »
Anyone here after 10 years, regardless of visa, language skills, marriage, kids.

After ten years you go native.

• JahMoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 11, 2016, 12:55:18 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do, ROK
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 02:26:39 pm »

Meee~~~ I've only been here 2 years, and not fluent, and haven't upgraded my visa yet, but I'm verrry close, and upgrading later this year.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 02:39:43 pm »

Meee~~~ I've only been here 2 years, and not fluent, and haven't upgraded my visa yet, but I'm verrry close, and upgrading later this year.

So you've already decided you want to spend the rest of your life here?

• fdny
  • Super Waygook

• June 05, 2012, 06:25:05 am
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 02:59:13 pm »
Is this an entry for "Stupid Thread of the Week"?

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 03:36:42 pm »
Is this an entry for "Stupid Thread of the Week"?

It's been done before, but so has virtually everything else on here

• JNM
  • The Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 03:42:19 pm »

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 09:02:47 pm »
My first year there, I had only planned on being a year (two max) in Korea, I had been there a couple of weeks and
was discussing my teaching ideas with someone who had been in Korea for a number of years.

To my surprise, he said "you're a lifer" and walked away.  I was a bit shocked at the time and not too sure what
he meant by that. 

After 9 more years and a lot of struggles I left Korea and EFL altogether.   I could see that it just wasn't in the cards

for me unless I wanted to be married to a Korean, but for all the wrong reasons.   

From what I saw of the people who did marry, about half of their relationships ended badly and of those that remained about half of those were not very happy with their lives.

As much as I wanted to become a "lifer", it just wasn't happening.   That "good hagwon" job never materialized

and PS jobs had their own set of "issues".    It seemed like every year things got a little bit worse and not better,

those university jobs that everyone talked about were not all that great.  (except for a select few)

anyway, that's my 2 centavos.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:10:27 pm by some waygug-in »

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 11:25:26 pm »
From what I saw of the people who did marry, about half of their relationships ended badly and of those that remained about half of those were not very happy with their lives.

The stayers are forced into playing the Korean game. Seems like they discard a lot of their western values and identity in the process.

I don't believe that adopting this culture necessarily results in happiness. The Koreans seem less than happy with it, so a foreign imitator has little chance.

That "good hagwon" job never materialized

Is there such a thing? each has its own set of pluses and minuses, but there's no escaping the fact its an exploitative industry.
Catch my drift?

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 10:05:34 am »
There are folks working in industries other than education, sometimes for Korean companies and sometimes foreign ones, who stay in Korea for many years, although probably not planning on retiring here. DOD employees, usually ex-military, working on the bases make very good coin and many will stay until they have to retire. They may stay here or retire elsewhere.

There are retired military who have made their homes in Songtan near the Osan base.

There are a few people for whom Korean culture really fits and they find a way to stay, some rocking hanboks, renovating hanooks, and mastering han sik.

To each her own, but the quality of life IMO is limited here and becoming more limited by things such as the air quality and the cost of living. That corruption is so embedded in the culture, along with selfishness, just doesn't make retiring in Korea a very pretty picture.

• JNM
  • The Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 01:54:18 pm »

What's his story?

E2 -> PHd at a Korean University-> E1 -> counted up the points and realized there was enough -> F2

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 02:17:24 pm »

What's his story?

E2 -> PHd at a Korean University-> E1 -> counted up the points and realized there was enough -> F2

Great story, but I was kind of wondering more why he wanted to stay in Korea. Was it just the job?

• JNM
  • The Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 02:20:41 pm »

What's his story?

Great story, but I was kind of wondering more why he wanted to stay in Korea. Was it just the job?

I think it is just that doing something else would take some effort. 

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 02:36:06 pm »

What's his story?

I think it is just that doing something else would take some effort.

Yeah, I know people like that. They usually talk about leaving all the time. Though they don't usually bother getting citizenship