Read 20641 times

Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #260 on: January 03, 2019, 08:55:31 am »
You definitely sound like a bellend if you're using those terms as an English native speaker. Like someone who says 'ciao' when they arrive/leave
I dunno, I'm on the fence. And this is where being American works the other way. A lot of times people will use Spanish pronunciations for certain things. Sometimes it's intentional and obnoxious other times it just happens naturally.

I find they usually sound like these kind of people  :smiley:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViIzF2k4Hpo

« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2019, 09:01:00 am »
DeM, just because something is not stressful for you doesn't mean it's not stressful for someone else. It doesn't make it not true.  People are expressing why it is stressful for them, so you need not attack them. They have an opinion and they are entitled to it just as much as you are entitled to yours.
And if I were to say that "I find all the teachers who are whiners and moaners to be stressful because they can't get with the program and lash out at Korea as a way to mask their own mediocrity" (this is NOT my opinion, for argument's sake only) Would you say that I was just "sharing what causes me stress." and let my opinion be? Of course not. You would respond, AS YOU SHOULD.

The difference is that you are not abusive and rude. For sure you have the right to say what you say, but it is how you say it that counts.

I found you bringing up my ethnicity as pretty damned rude and disrespectful.

...people use other more moralizing or even condescending language towards Koreans...Maybe I shouldn't do that or maybe it's not helpful, but I just like to provide that alternative viewpoint so that everything isn't so one-sided. I think 'Tino is doing something similar.
Exactly. I get the same frustrations and flashes of anger too. Heck, I went through dealing with Koreans BEFORE I came to Korea. I know those feelings. I also learned how to deal with it and that one of the most important things was trying to find ways in which the aggravating behavior we associate with Koreans manifests in the same or a a parallel way in our own culture. Also, a lot of times when people get angry and rant, they forget about certain things that would temper their opinion. It's good to bring those up.

That and yeah, some of the posts are pretty condescending and moralizing.

Like the 25 year old armchair activist lecturing about human rights and democracy in Korea to an ajosshi who (unknownd to him) got tear-gassed and beaten by the cops as a college student protesting (and eventually bringing down) a military dictatorship. Telling that guy "Koreans don't change and things are always the same and never stand up". It's like seriously dude...what have YOU done?

« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2019, 09:02:27 am »
I understand you are nationalistic and of Korean ethnicity but to blindly defend 'your' country

There it is. The "You're Korean so the reason you are thinking this way is because of your ethnicity argument."

Stay classy.

Except, it is 100% true. Or you are a non-Korean KoreaBoo.

Bigot.

Mirror?
You can take this "Your opinion is less credible because of your ethnicity" crap and shove it up your cakehole.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2019, 09:16:35 am »
I understand you are nationalistic and of Korean ethnicity but to blindly defend 'your' country

There it is. The "You're Korean so the reason you are thinking this way is because of your ethnicity argument."

Stay classy.

Except, it is 100% true. Or you are a non-Korean KoreaBoo.

Bigot.

Mirror?
You can take this "Your opinion is less credible because of your ethnicity" crap and shove it up your cakehole.

You play the ethnicity card all the time with, "If you were Korean then you would...." but ultimately your caked opinions are but layers of BS interwoven with false analogies, spongy diversions and smatterings of strawmen on top.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #264 on: January 03, 2019, 09:20:15 am »
I found you bringing up my ethnicity as pretty damned rude and disrespectful

Why? are you embarrassed by your ethnicity?
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #265 on: January 03, 2019, 09:26:59 am »
You play the ethnicity card all the time with, "If you were Korean then you would...." but ultimately your caked opinions are but layers of BS interwoven with false analogies, spongy diversions and smatterings of strawmen on top.
Cite.

I found you bringing up my ethnicity as pretty damned rude and disrespectful

Why? are you embarrassed by your ethnicity?
You brought up my ethnicity to insinuate my opinion was less valid because of my ethnicity. If you have to bring up my ethnicity to make your argument, you have no argument. You can shove it up your cakehole too.

We've talked about each other's countries back home and I have NEVER taken it to that level. It's one thing if it's banter or to get you to see something from another perspective. But this was something else.

And the worst part is the people who do this and then have the nerve to bitch and moan about Koreans not welcoming or never treating a non-ethnic Korean with Korean citizenship as "truly Korean". Guess I'm not REALLY American.

Sorry dude, but I AM an American and you'll address and treat me as such or you can take your opinion and shove it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:37:42 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2019, 09:52:35 am »
DeMartino:

Sorry dude, but I AM an American and you'll address and treat me as such or you can take your opinion and shove it.
[/quote]

God Bless America!  Here, here!

Can someone please upload a slow clap gif to go with this moment? 

Three days to go before a long break with only one class.  An unhinged Demartino will definitely help pass the time.  Hopefully, this'll set him off even more than when it was pointed out he neither drove a car or even had a license. 

Carry on!

« Reply #267 on: January 03, 2019, 09:57:03 am »
Hopefully, this'll set him off even more than when it was pointed out he neither drove a car or even had a license. 

Carry on!
'Murica!

Also, did I say I didn't have a license? I do have a license, both here and back home. Plus these days, a lot of people don't even need Korean licenses because of reciprocal driving laws. Maybe you got me confused with someone else?

Anyways, now I want to drive my dad's F-150 again just because AMERICA.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #268 on: January 03, 2019, 10:07:25 am »
You know what was a good move forward for Korea in 2018? Getting rid of the bins for pooey toilet paper in bathrooms. Good work, Korea.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #269 on: January 03, 2019, 10:10:53 am »
You know what was a good move forward for Korea in 2018? Getting rid of the bins for pooey toilet paper in bathrooms. Good work, Korea.

Progress! Next, getting rid of soap on a stick.

« Reply #270 on: January 03, 2019, 10:14:54 am »
You definitely sound like a bellend if you're using those terms as an English native speaker. Like someone who says 'ciao' when they arrive/leave
I dunno, I'm on the fence. And this is where being American works the other way. A lot of times people will use Spanish pronunciations for certain things. Sometimes it's intentional and obnoxious other times it just happens naturally.

I find they usually sound like these kind of people  :smiley:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViIzF2k4Hpo

I've noticed this so much more the other way around, haha. Many of us Americans say everything in our natural accent (whether we want to or not), at least in my region. Then, you have people like Giada De Laurentiis or other people on cooking shows that have an American accent 99.9% of the time, but suddenly have the strongest Italian or Spanish accent when they are saying a food in the native language. I don't know if it's just me and my pet peeves, but that drives me a little crazy, lol. Not angry, but just like WHY! :huh: I know they know the language, obviously, but it gives me a weird feeling, lol. Probably because I always feel like I'm just TRYING to be disingenuous if I try a strong accent for a word here or there so I'm projecting.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #271 on: January 03, 2019, 10:15:19 am »
Hopefully, this'll set him off even more than when it was pointed out he neither drove a car or even had a license. 

Carry on!
'Murica!

Also, did I say I didn't have a license? I do have a license, both here and back home. Plus these days, a lot of people don't even need Korean licenses because of reciprocal driving laws. Maybe you got me confused with someone else?

Anyways, now I want to drive my dad's F-150 again just because AMERICA.

To be fair, you didn't say you didn't have a license.  Someone else made the claim and it was one of the few times I've seen you get rattled.  Usually you taking the daily jibes and insults with a certain dignity, I suppose.  You seem to be the contradictory blend of a guy with a huge chip on his shoulder combined with being thick-skinned for the most part. 

« Reply #272 on: January 03, 2019, 10:33:53 am »
To be fair, you didn't say you didn't have a license.  Someone else made the claim and it was one of the few times I've seen you get rattled.  Usually you taking the daily jibes and insults with a certain dignity, I suppose.  You seem to be the contradictory blend of a guy with a huge chip on his shoulder combined with being thick-skinned for the most part.
Damn, I don't remember this. Maybe it was ESLTurtle prattling on about his Audi or whatever.  :laugh:

Anyways, I know it comes across that way, and one of the hardest things to do is to look at ourselves and see our own foibles and the chips we all carry on our shoulders (or even "worse" the lack of ambition or indifference we have). But yeah, there are certain things that set me off, though I must say I am truly drawing a blank on this one.

Did they bash American cars? You're darned right I have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to people insulting our great 8mpg piles of steel.  :wink:

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #273 on: January 03, 2019, 10:39:02 am »
Progress!

Here's more good news:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/31/asia/south-korea-plastic-bag-ban-intl/index.html

Doesn't apply to all stores, so to help the environment, put an old plastic bag or two in your pocket when going to a store.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2019, 10:55:39 am »
Progress!

Here's more good news:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/31/asia/south-korea-plastic-bag-ban-intl/index.html

Doesn't apply to all stores, so to help the environment, put an old plastic bag or two in your pocket when going to a store.

Wonderful, I wish all countries follow this example.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2019, 11:20:08 am »
As of now, South Korea has the highest per capita plastic consumption in the world... BUT... positive changes are underway.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #276 on: January 03, 2019, 11:22:30 am »
China used to import trash and plastic from other countries, including Korea. but burning it was making their air too dirty so they stopped. That encouraged a reduction in consumption.

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #277 on: January 03, 2019, 11:32:35 am »
Me right now reading this thread:  :laugh:

But on a non-stressful note: Does anyone else watch Korean adverts and try to guess what it's for and get it completely wrong? (Especially if you don't know the language.)  :laugh:

These adverts are confusing sometimes  :laugh:. But nothing beats Japanese ads!  :laugh:

I reckon Koreans would find British adverts a bit weird...?  :laugh:

Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #278 on: January 03, 2019, 12:01:57 pm »
The nation's retailers are expected to speed up efforts to reduce plastic waste in 2019 as environmental pollution caused by indiscreet use of these products has come to the fore, since the Chinese government declared a ban on imports of plastic waste in January 2018.

After experiencing the so-called "waste crisis," the Ministry of Environment even began implementing a regulation in August to prohibit coffee shops from giving disposable cups to customers who drink beverages inside the stores.

Against this backdrop, a growing number of businesses in Korea have decided to use eco-friendly material and reduce waste in the New Year. It is hoped the attempt will help minimize microplastic pollution which is regarded as the main destroyer of the marine ecosystem.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2019/01/718_260674.html

« Reply #279 on: January 03, 2019, 12:07:51 pm »
But on a non-stressful note: Does anyone else watch Korean adverts and try to guess what it's for and get it completely wrong? (Especially if you don't know the language.)  :laugh:
I once saw this ad for 에어컨 바지 (Aircon Pants) and I thought it might be one of those deals like the Japanese have where they have fans built in. Instead they were just normal pants made out of some sort of cooling fiber. Boo.

I swear, the man who can invent a dress shirt/jacket that cools and doesn't bulge or weigh a ton will be a millionaire.