Read 20527 times

Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2018, 03:37:10 pm »
Korean Surprises
Truth. Korea is a traumatic place for someone who loves pizza but hates corn.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2018, 05:49:26 pm »
Simple, get a decent apartment. If it means that much to you. Where I live is like a morgue.

Lol it's that simple isn't it? Just get a decent apartment.  Why didn't I think of that.

Maybe because if you don't live in a decent apartment you might think they all have sound-proofing like yours. In fact they don't

How do you find these morgue-like apartments?

A billion won. ‎₩1,000,000,000

Approx 500M

Mate, my Seoul apartment alone is worth double your total net worth

« Reply #182 on: December 31, 2018, 06:18:28 pm »
Simple, get a decent apartment. If it means that much to you. Where I live is like a morgue.

Lol it's that simple isn't it? Just get a decent apartment.  Why didn't I think of that.

Maybe because if you don't live in a decent apartment you might think they all have sound-proofing like yours. In fact they don't

How do you find these morgue-like apartments?

A billion won. ‎₩1,000,000,000

Approx 500M

Mate, my Seoul apartment alone is worth double your total net worth

Actually one in our block sold for 1.4 recently. But you could rent for a hundred mil down and 2.5 mil a month
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 06:21:06 pm by eggieguffer »

« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2018, 06:19:22 pm »
The stress in my life here comes from noise.  That's it.

I have a really simple goal in life.  To be able to go home at the end of the day, shut my door (house, apartment, whatever) and not hear noise from other people.  It's that simple.  I think I'd be the happiest man in Korea if I could guarantee that  :laugh:

Sadly, I don't think that's possible here.  I've never experienced so much "avoidable"* noise as I have since living in Korea.  It could be building construction but I honestly think there's an aspect of people just not being considerate at all towards others.   

*"Avoidable" noise is noise that shouldn't happen.  Stomp-walking, slamming doors, slamming cupboard doors, shout-talking, screaming inside, blaringly loud TVs/music etc...

I moved apartments a few months back.  It is a newly constructed development, and there are about 40 blocks built by 3 companies over an area the size of a small city.  Every evening, i can hear the sound coming from above of a kid running around erratically around like he is practicing for some racing event.  It usually ends around 11pm, so i can drown it out with TV or headphones.

This is not so much stressful when you consider 2 things:

1, the apartment is new, so the soundproofing should be top notch

2, i live on the top floor (there is no apartment above), so someone fooked up when designing the place!

the Korean method seems to be:

Build quick
Use plastic to look like wood and marble
Sell for way too much
Start again!

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2018, 06:25:43 pm »

« Reply #185 on: December 31, 2018, 06:29:01 pm »
You get what you pay for. You should see what 300,000 dollars would get you in central London or on Hong Kong island. Actually it'd probably get you this, eight years on.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PuLxiS8GFg
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 06:32:33 pm by eggieguffer »

« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2018, 07:43:24 pm »
I can't wait for the next financial crisis hits and all these house rich braggers see the speculative value cut in half and then they're underwater on a concrete block with shitty construction and no land.  It will happen.  Screen shot this.

« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2019, 07:09:28 pm »

This is kind of dumb to compare American real estate costs to one of the most densely populated countries on Earth.

Seriously, the people here who are like "Why aren't they all living in big houses with yards and swimming pools???" really need to get a clue. These are the kind of idiots who move to New York and are shocked that $2,000/month in rent gets you a crappy studio.

I can't wait for the next financial crisis hits and all these house rich braggers see the speculative value cut in half and then they're underwater on a concrete block with shitty construction and no land.  It will happen.  Screen shot this.
Yeah, I'm sure that won't affect your job prospects or income at all either. What an incredibly shortsighted look at things.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2019, 05:38:20 am »
This is kind of dumb to compare American real estate costs to one of the most densely populated countries on Earth.

Not even close

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most-densely-populated-countries-in-the-world.html

If you look at a couple of websites mostly they list it around number 26.

I didn't find it particularly stressful except for the two schools I taught at didn't seem to be able to plan ahead. Rather than plan ahead they did crises management.

I also experience the following on a regular basis:

Me at 4:30  -  Goodbye everyone, see you tomorrow.

Co-teacher - where are you going?

Me - home of course it is 4:30

Co-teacher - you can't go home, the whole school is going on an evening hike followed by a dinner, you have to attend. Didn't I tell you?

Me, dressed in teaching clothes and not hiking clothes  -  No, you didn't, when was this decided?

Co-teacher - about two weeks ago, I must have forgotten to tell you.

or

2 months before vacation time (estimated vacation time)

Me - when does summer/winter vacation start, I want to book my airplane tickets so I don't have to pay a premium?

COT - no one knows the principal hasn't decided yet.

Me (near estimated vacation time) - when does the vacation start?

Me -  :shocked:

Sometime later:

COT - by the way, vacation starts tomorrow, you can book your flights.

Used to drive me insane.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:52:56 am by confusedsafferinkorea »
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2019, 07:31:23 am »
Answering the topic, I really think it all comes down to you. No one can be blamed if they're stressed by scary taxi drivers and Korean Surprises, but I really think everything else is up to however you handle living here.

I agree 100%.  It all depends on if you're the type of person to let small things get to you.  I'm the kind that just accepts things for what they are.  I can't change them, so why stress about it? 

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2019, 07:46:53 am »

Me - when does summer/winter vacation start, I want to book my airplane tickets so I don't have to pay a premium?

Ugghhhhhh, I know! Just make a bloody decision! YOU'RE THE LEADER, DO SOMETHING.

There's no class for 2 months and you can't just agree that I shouldn't work 2 or 3 specific weeks in that timeframe.

I'm here the other 5 weeks deskwarming anyway and no noone pays any attention to me. So why can't a decision be made well in advance. Pick a week for camp, give me 3. This takes 5 mins.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2019, 08:15:58 am »

Co-teacher - you can't go home, the whole school is going on an evening hike followed by a dinner, you have to attend. Didn't I tell you?

Me, dressed in teaching clothes and not hiking clothes  -  No, you didn't, when was this decided?

Just happened to me now (AGAIN). Turned up to school on time. No one's here. School is locked. Called my Co. No one picked up. 10 minutes later, I am told no one's coming in until 2 hours later. So I stood outside in the cold for 30 minutes trying to figure out why no one was here. Found a teacher who came early though.

Because it's vacation, they have a later start date. But no one told the foreigner. I am forever not being told things and its driving me nuts and is very stressful! 

Same thing happened in the summer holidays too! So I was left outside in the heat for 30 minutes then as well. That was lovely!
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2019, 08:20:38 am »

Ugghhhhhh, I know! Just make a bloody decision! YOU'RE THE LEADER, DO SOMETHING.

There's no class for 2 months and you can't just agree that I shouldn't work 2 or 3 specific weeks in that timeframe.

I'm here the other 5 weeks deskwarming anyway and no noone pays any attention to me. So why can't a decision be made well in advance. Pick a week for camp, give me 3. This takes 5 mins.

Leadership here [in the Principal sense] doesn't mean working effectively. It means showing you have the power to make everyone's lives as miserable as possible.

« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2019, 08:37:35 am »
Not even close
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most-densely-populated-countries-in-the-world.html

If you look at a couple of websites mostly they list it around number 26.

Hey genius, did you not realize (probably didn't) that most of those countries on that list are either glorified or actual city-states or island countries?

Of actual sizable countries only, Bangladesh, Taiwan, and Lebanon were more densely populated.

Me - 
While I agree those things should be decided well in advance, whenever your vacation starts and booking tickets is completely irrelevant. The school's decisions should not be based on whatever lets you get the cheapest ticket to Thailand.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:39:28 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2019, 08:42:57 am »

Just happened to me now (AGAIN). Turned up to school on time. No one's here. School is locked. Called my Co. No one picked up. 10 minutes later, I am told no one's coming in until 2 hours later. So I stood outside in the cold for 30 minutes trying to figure out why no one was here. Found a teacher who came early though.

Because it's vacation, they have a later start date. But no one told the foreigner. I am forever not being told things and its driving me nuts and is very stressful! 

Same thing happened in the summer holidays too! So I was left outside in the heat for 30 minutes then as well. That was lovely!
Yes, no one holds your hand. Welcome to being an immigrant.

If you want to find out information you are going to have to be proactive. Be on the school messenger. Translate stuff in bulletins. Ask your coworkers. Attend meetings.

Do you know how often this happens to people who do those things? Never.

I don't want to sound rude here, but that's part of being an adult and having a job and being an immigrant. You want to be considered an adult? You want a job? You want the experience and money of living in another country? Then you're going to have to do some things and don't expect people to spend their time making sure that you are aware of stuff everyone else is because they do their job.

« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2019, 08:44:06 am »
While I agree those things should be decided well in advance, whenever your vacation starts and booking tickets is completely irrelevant.

Things should be decided well in advance (if possible) so people can organise their lives properly. Such as getting the best price for plane tickets. It's all connected and all leads to happier employees. 

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2019, 08:44:52 am »

If you want to find out information you are going to have to be proactive. Be on the school messenger. Translate stuff in bulletins. Ask your coworkers. Attend meetings.

My CoTeacher who's frustrated by my school's constant last-minute surprises would like a word with you.  :laugh:

« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2019, 08:48:17 am »
I don't want to sound rude here, but that's part of being an adult and having a job and being an immigrant. You want to be considered an adult? You want a job? You want the experience and money of living in another country? Then you're going to have to do some things and don't expect people to spend their time making sure that you are aware of stuff everyone else is because they do their job.

He just said he wasn't told, but we don't know how all the others were told. If they were all told individually and he wasn't he's got just grievance. if it was in an email all teachers are told to check, he hasn't.

I don't want to sound rude here, but part of being an adult is getting the full picture before you start sounding off on things.   

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #198 on: January 02, 2019, 09:01:35 am »
Yes, no one holds your hand. Welcome to being an immigrant.

Being an immigrant and your job not relaying information to you are completely irrelevant. And as was mentioned above, not everyone gets the information at a convenient time. Translating won't help in that case.

It should be expected that you're afforded the same courtesy as the rest of the people in the same workplace. Being an adult, being an immigrant, having a job don't mean we have to put up with a bunch of bulls**t.
The World Ends With You

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #199 on: January 02, 2019, 09:06:53 am »
Mr.DeMartino: What makes you think I don't do those things already? I have had jobs before and everyone was awarded the same courtesy of knowing things beforehand regardless of being an "immigrant" as you put it. I have done everything I can to fit into the culture but there are some that are just not acceptable. Also it helps being told about things like this so you aren't standing out side in -6 with no idea what's going on.

I don't want to sound rude here, but part of being an adult is getting the full picture before you start sounding off on things.

Thank you.  :angel:

It should be expected that you're afforded the same courtesy as the rest of the people in the same workplace. Being an adult, being an immigrant, having a job don't mean we have to put up with a bunch of bulls**t.

A voice of reason! Thank you.  :angel:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:08:57 am by CypherSoul »
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!