Read 6121 times

• gookway
  • Super Waygook

• March 31, 2011, 12:22:19 pm
    • Korea
[GEPIK] When do you get told if renewed or let go?
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:59:28 am »
So I'm just wondering when do you think most NETs (GEPIK) will get
the news of contract renewal or being let go?

I heard it's about 2 months before the end of the contract?  Obviously this for those who have their
contracts starting in September so the 1 year is coming up.

Has anyone already gotten a renewal yet or are you still waiting to hear from your school?
I spoke to my CT today and told me the news doesn't look good because something about the
budget cuts and lower % of something something i couldn't make out the english.

Also, it's good to know as soon as possible because I need to book a flight for August back
to Canada (to visit) and the later I find out, the harder it might be to book a flight that late. 

• gookway
  • Super Waygook

• March 31, 2011, 12:22:19 pm
    • Korea
Re: [GEPIK] When do you get told if renewed or let go?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:24:27 pm »
So if we haven't been told we're getting renewed by now, or if the CT says I'll find out in June, that pretty much means I'm not getting renewed right?  I need to start planning ahead so I'd prefer to know at the earliest.

My thinking says:
1) If they have the budget and they want to keep you, they would renew you very early on.
2) If they tell you 2 months before the contract is up, or the later they push it back, it means they will not renew you (by choice or because of lack of funds GEPIK).

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2010, 11:49:17 am
    • Suwon
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:34:45 pm »
The contract states that the school will notify you of 'renewal or completion' of the contract 60 days prior to the contract expiring. 

I've only ever had my contracts renewed...but the two month mark is standard.  Your co-teacher will be aware of any outside factors (funding etc) around that time...and even if you don't get anything in writing you will know where you stand (all things being equal) around two months before your contract expires.

• Leigh
  • Explorer

• December 09, 2010, 02:32:31 pm
    • Paju
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 02:47:25 pm »
I work for GEPIK and my contract ends in September. I was told a month ago that the school would not be receiving enough budget to keep a foreign teacher. I have heard that this is the case for many schools so I would start looking at other options.

• jsem
  • Adventurer

• October 19, 2010, 12:51:39 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 02:57:28 pm »
I have heard that this is the case for many schools so I would start looking at other options.

Ive been told this also. GEPIK have so far promised a final list of schools that will not be recieving a budget for NT's in March, April and now May. Ive decided just to look for another job as I have been told it's highly likely that most will go and the majority of remaining available positions will be filled with NT's with little to no experience because they are cheaper. I am also not prepared to wait around for GEPIK to decide my fate and let me know when they are ready. Times ticking! Thus, I second Leigh's advice, get get the heck away from GEPIK!

• lillellis
  • Adventurer

• November 11, 2010, 08:46:05 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 03:06:06 pm »
The contract states that the school will notify you of 'renewal or completion' of the contract 60 days prior to the contract expiring. 

I've only ever had my contracts renewed...but the two month mark is standard.  Your co-teacher will be aware of any outside factors (funding etc) around that time...and even if you don't get anything in writing you will know where you stand (all things being equal) around two months before your contract expires.

I wish this were the case.  My contract is up very soon--in exactly four weeks.  My school hasn't yet received word whether I can renew in September or not.  The administration is "fighting" to keep me (which I believe, because we have a lot of paperwork to submit AND supposedly an inspector will come next week).  BUT there will be no answer until the end of this month.  At this point, although I really like my school/students/work environment/fellow teachers, I'm tired of being strung along.

I agree with what others above said: look for other options. 

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• Suwon
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 03:21:43 pm »

I wish this were the case.  My contract is up very soon--in exactly four weeks.  My school hasn't yet received word whether I can renew in September or not.  The administration is "fighting" to keep me (which I believe, because we have a lot of paperwork to submit AND supposedly an inspector will come next week).  BUT there will be no answer until the end of this month.  At this point, although I really like my school/students/work environment/fellow teachers, I'm tired of being strung along.

I agree with what others above said: look for other options.

I'm sorry, I meant in normal circumstances.  Sorry.  I was just talking about what normally happens..not what will happen if your contract expires in June and you want to renew in September!  I might have read the OP wrong!  Terribly sorry!

• jaime728
  • Waygookin

• November 15, 2010, 01:22:54 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:15:32 am »
My contract expires in Sept as well and I was given all the paperwork to renew yesterday. My head teacher is on the Board of Education in our province so she has a heads up earlier than most schools. Many of my friends have not been told yet. The recruiters and the contract say 60 days prior to the expiration they will let you know. I think at this point it is on a case by case basis.

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:50:39 am »
Well I got wind early in Februrary that due to budget cuts my school would not be able to renew my contract for a 2nd year. I found out through the grapevine and not directly through my coT whose responsible for all my paperwork. The coT later confirmed it to be true. He apologized for not telling me sooner himself but he was worried I wouldn't handle the bad news well, so he didn't know how to break it to me. At least he offered to write me a letter of recommendation and help me find another Korean school to work for if I wanted. I appreciated that offer.

In case it matters, I'm a GEPIK NET at a rural elementary school and my contract began and will end in October.

Best of luck to ya!

• angela
  • Waygookin

• May 27, 2010, 02:03:51 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do South Korea
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 11:06:05 am »
GEPIK sent out all the information about what school would loose teachers in March and April so everyone school should know by now.  They are just trying to make the hiring process easier by only having 2 hiring times.  Also if some schools have 2 NET's teachers they are cutting it down to one. They don't have the funding.  Unless the school personally pays the money or the city government not EPIK then you could stay on. That is the information i have heard on this subject.

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 11:52:09 am »
In some cases they will give you the run around regardless.  I asked if I was being renewed a month ago (my contract is up in 2 and a half weeks.)  They told me they were re-signing me and that they needed to write the contract and that it would be done in a month.  I checked up numerous times to re-confirm the deal.  Today I talk to them and am told that they are having a meeting next monday to decide if they are re-signing me and I will sign next wednesday.  They originally told me that they are re-signing me but I guess that was so they could keep me in their pocket for later....  God I miss the USA

(/rant)
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 08:33:21 pm »
I believe the standard is 60 days before the contract ends, but my first round in public schools showed me the proposed contract in February and then asked me to renew in April.  My contract was going to expire in August.
If you teach a class that has all special needs kids with only the physical ability to move their hands up and down, then you'll be fired because they all gave you checks instead of circles.

• charlsie
  • Adventurer

• October 01, 2010, 08:25:00 am
    • Pyeongtaek
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 09:12:16 pm »
My co-teach said that the school will find out in early July if they will get funding for a NET.  Has anyone heard something similar?

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• June 19, 2010, 11:04:50 am
    • Namhae
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 11:49:19 pm »
the only thing that I've heard--since I've been here--is that the koreans have a ten year plan to eliminate our positions. then it was the five year plan. and i've seen it take place in my own schools. the implementation of this plan. i just resigned for a second year, but my hours have diminished.  they restructured my classes, I don't see all my students anymore. My KT is the one who first told me of the ten year plan. she told me it changed to the five year plan. she told me I'm seeing the beginning of it now. she's not my KT this year. she was at her school for six years. most teachers can't stay beyond 5 years. Her replacement is fresh out of the uni and she doesn't need me. 

I guess we cost too much and not not always considered a good return for the money they spend. it represents a lot of headache and paperwork and koreans don't know how to team teach so the KT really doesn't like it much--sharing their classroom that they worked hard to get, an implication that they can't do their jobs, not without help. the older KT's (in my three schools, this year and last) are a little more welcoming than the new teachers. they wanted the help. the new teachers are being taught to work without us and my current KT is clueless on what to do with me.

the koreans are feeling it too. the younger teachers are being hired because they can be paid less and they have the lastest uni teachings on how not to teach konglish. One of my friends told me they didn't renew her KT's contract because she has too much experience and they don't want to pay her what she's worth.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:02:32 am by Merryone »

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• Suwon
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 12:55:00 pm »
Merryone, some of what you've written is just...wrong!  I'm sorry.  I don't want to be rude...but the information you've been given is flawed. 

the only thing that I've heard--since I've been here--is that the koreans have a ten year plan to eliminate our positions. then it was the five year plan.

This 'ten year plan' that you were told about...well...it's the other way around!  Originally foreign teachers were only going to be used for 5 years, but now it's going to be ten years.

the koreans are feeling it too. the younger teachers are being hired because they can be paid less and they have the lastest uni teachings on how not to teach konglish. One of my friends told me they didn't renew her KT's contract because she has too much experience and they don't want to pay her what she's worth.

Public Schools are not hiring younger Korean Teachers than before.  That's ridiculous!  The teachers that that they hire come from University and then are hired by schools...the same as ever.  That's how it works here.  You go to University, you become qualified to be a teacher...and then you teach.  The Korean Teachers don't have contracts...they are tenured government employees.  They don't have to renew every year.  The only exception to that is the English Conversation Teachers, but they aren't real teachers...they're just people with a degree and experience in working with English (either teaching at Hagwons or living abroad).