Read 2082 times

Man I'm getting offered 2.1 only from a well known chain who want me to do the intensive 9.30am to 6pm kindy job instead of the 1pm to 9pm.  90 minute classes, eat lunch with them, telephone calling, elementary in the afternoons also.  No way I'd do that.  2.3 would be the absolute minimum for so much work.  I've worked for them before in 2003 in a different city and would fall asleep as soon as I got home I'd be so tired.

I have a few years experience and a TEFL.  I may be not already in country but 2.1?

Another really well known chain whose name has something in common with the UK Criminal Investigation Department if you get my drift, want two 3 hour essay classes in the mornings plus elementary 40 minute classes in the afternoons and only 2.1 with pension and 2.2 WITHOUT pension.

Is it not illegal not to offer pension?  Or has that changed?

I'm putting afternoon job only, no kindy in my emails and profile from now on.  If it has to be Busan instead of Seoul, so be it.

It's a shame as I would and have actually given my all to this type of job, I have taught essay classes, debate, classes and I know how much you need to put in and what you need to put in and am very willing to do so.  I would literally be an asset both in experience and in getting my head down and properly doing my job.

When I last worked in SK I was on 2.3 for 1pm to 9pm type 50 minute class hakwan jobs and 2.6 for the 3 hour, foreign curriculum, essay and debate type positions.

Have salaries become lower or are they just playing games?  I always thought the second institute I referred to paid rather well.

Ah well, I won't do that sort of intensive work for that pay  which is a shame as I actually ENJOY it and would give my all, so I'll end up doing a 1pm to 9pm job instead, 50 minute classes, do 3 pages of the book, listen and repeat on the CD and e-board, couple of games, set homework, give out some stickers and ABC chocco and happy days. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 08:14:49 am by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: Have hakwan salaries gone down? Isn't it illegal to not offer pension?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 08:02:26 am »
Yeah standards have really gone down here in terms of pay and benefits. Many public schools and after-school programs are cutting their NET's, so there is a surplus market for teachers.

The hogwons recognize this and adjust accordingly, which they are allowed to get away with because people will still apply for those jobs with for less money.

As for the pension it is mandatory unless you are listed as an independent contractor, which is only allowed if you are f series visa.

Good luck and keep searching. Why on god's earth aren't you applying for Uni gigs? Although these days I am not sure they are much better? Longer vacation at least.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 08:47:10 am »
If you accept such a job I'm gonna meet you at the airport and slap you with my shoe. They are low balling you. They most likely don't care about your experience.They are looking for a monkey that is willing to work for peanuts. Even for 2.3 it's bad. The cost of living is rising as well. I have about half your experience and even I wouldn't even think about accepting such nonsense.

You should combat this by spamming recruiters. I don't mean emailing half a dozen or a dozen recruiters. I mean emailing 50+. Go on craigslist, the job postings here, hit up some of the big name recruiters, facebook etc.  I email on average of about 50 recruiters every time I look for a job. I will usually reject the first 10 or so contracts that come my way because they are usually really bad. You really need to get super spammy about sending your info out because recruiters also get a ton of emails. If you only work with a couple recruiters you are really taking your future and putting it in their hands. Sometime I will email a recruiter a few times and then they just disappear. This becomes super annoying if you only are dealing with them, but if you are in contact with several dozen then it becomes less of an issue.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:07:06 pm »
Man I'm getting offered 2.1 only from a well known chain who want me to do the intensive 9.30am to 6pm kindy job instead of the 1pm to 9pm.  90 minute classes, eat lunch with them, telephone calling, elementary in the afternoons also.  No way I'd do that.  2.3 would be the absolute minimum for so much work.  I've worked for them before in 2003 in a different city and would fall asleep as soon as I got home I'd be so tired.

I have 10 years experience and a TEFL.  I may be not already in country but 2.1?

Another really well known chain whose name has something in common with the UK Criminal Investigation Department if you get my drift, want two 3 hour essay classes in the mornings plus elementary 40 minute classes in the afternoons and only 2.1 with pension and 2.2 WITHOUT pension.

I'm putting afternoon job only, no kindy in my emails and profile from now on.  If it has to be Busan instead of Seoul, so be it.

It's a shame as I would and have actually given my all to this type of job, I have taught SAT, essay classes, debate, drama, pageants etc before on the Yongsan army base and also at an international school and I know how much you need to put in and what you need to put in and am very willing to do so.  I would literally be an asset both in experience and in getting my head down and properly doing my job.

When I last worked in SK in 2012 I was on 2.3 for 1pm to 9pm type 50 minute class hakwan jobs and 2.6 for the 3 hour, foreign curriculum, essay and debate type positions.

Have salaries become lower or are they just playing games?  I always thought the second institute I referred to paid rather well.

Ah well, I won't do that sort of intensive work for that pay  which is a shame as I actually ENJOY it and would give my all, so I'll end up doing a 1pm to 9pm job instead, 50 minute classes, do 3 pages of the book, listen and repeat on the CD and e-board, couple of games, set homework, give out some stickers and ABC chocco and happy days.

Have you looked at any YBM positions? There was also a public high school position posted on Reddit.
No desk warming (12 weeks of paid vacation)
No housing though. Only an allowance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teachinginkorea/comments/7jhdwc/high_school_job_opening/
Use code CAM7141 get 5% off at iHerb.com

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 02:44:29 pm »
They most likely don't care about your experience.They are looking for a monkey that is willing to work for peanuts.

They just want someone with a pulse that looks young and does not cause any child to complain.

In practise this means tolerate any amount of ill behaviour from students because if one of them doesn't like you your job could be at risk.

Congratulations Korea, you've finally arrived at a completely useless education system.
Catch my drift?

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 10:48:17 pm »
They most likely don't care about your experience.They are looking for a monkey that is willing to work for peanuts.

They just want someone with a pulse that looks young and does not cause any child to complain.

In practise this means tolerate any amount of ill behaviour from students because if one of them doesn't like you your job could be at risk.

Congratulations Korea, you've finally arrived at a completely useless education system.

Yeah nothing's changed since I've been away then.  My students at all age groups in Shanghai retained more English in two weeks than my students in Korea would in a year.  Ah well, think of the money and do your job.  Beats retail.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 12:57:43 am »
My students at all age groups in Shanghai retained more English in two weeks than my students in Korea would in a year.

Is the teacher allowed any actual power or disciplinary options in China? Or it a "customer is always right" mentality like korea.
Catch my drift?

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 01:13:28 am »
Depends where you work I guess but yes I did, but tbh, I rarely needed it and I was teaching Shanghai rich city kids.

Chinese kids are mellow and less hyper and badly behaved.  They're like Korean kids were 20 years ago.  Chinese people in general are extremely laid back, it's night and day.  I remember one badly behaved student from 1.5 years there.

Salaries are better there than in SK now too if you have two years under your belt.  Lower contact hours.

Just didn't like working every Sat and Sun.  You end up only getting Mon and Tues off and only hanging out with your co-workers and not having a real social life; that part gets old quick.

You do most of your contact hours at the weekend so sometimes are too tired to do anything social on those days, plus you have to work them so are not likely to have a really full Friday or Saturday social existence like the rest of the country, and I don't mean drinking, just being able to be care free and stay out and about etc.  So that part is not so good if you want a social existence beyond drinking with other ESL teachers.  All the meetups and clubs etc are mostly at the weekends, so....

• CJ
  • Super Waygook

• November 15, 2010, 08:11:00 am
    • Down south
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 11:51:30 am »

I have 10 years experience and a TEFL.  I may be not already in country but 2.1?

It's a shame as I would and have actually given my all to this type of job, I have taught SAT, essay classes, debate, drama, pageants etc before on the Yongsan army base and also at an international school and I know how much you need to put in and what you need to put in and am very willing to do so.  I would literally be an asset both in experience and in getting my head down and properly doing my job.

When I last worked in SK in 2012 I was on 2.3 for 1pm to 9pm type 50 minute class hakwan jobs and 2.6 for the 3 hour, foreign curriculum, essay and debate type positions.

Mate, whilst your employment woes is quite entertaining as I sip my coffee on full-pay during work hours in a public school, I have to scratch my head a bit and think: "why is he coming back?"

If you're coming back for the cash, and only the cash, go public school. Put your head down for a year, save save save, and leave. There's no funny business, evenings are off and the benefits are very good.

The majority of hagwons (not all) are for absolute newbies who have ZERO idea what they are doing. Teachers are paid accordingly, which in most cases, is at a higher rate than bi-lingual Korean English teachers.  Salaries across the board haven't risen for years for a reason.

Factor in start-up costs and the cost of relocating back to England; is it really worth coming back to Korea and working in a hagwon?

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 12:37:18 am »
Just didn't like working every Sat and Sun. 

Is that standard for China or was it only with your particular job?
Catch my drift?

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 09:31:13 pm »
Standard for lots of jobs in China. 

Perhaps not for Uni jobs, but I'm a city guy not a country mouse and could not live in anywhere but Shanghai and you don't get a uni job there without serious TEFL qualifications. 

I don't even like Beijing, too bland; Shangers is where it's at man.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 08:16:51 am by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 01:37:16 am »

The majority of hagwons (not all) are for absolute newbies who have ZERO idea what they are doing. Teachers are paid accordingly, which in most cases, is at a higher rate than bi-lingual Korean English teachers.  Salaries across the board haven't risen for years for a reason.

I'd actually say that public schools are usually better for beginner teachers than hagwons are. In a public school you have fewer classes and less responsibility. You're not an assistant in a hagwon. You're generally on your own and are the main teacher.
Who is ESLinsider?