Read 5764 times

Re: Any thoughts on Star Wars: The Last Jedi?
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 09:45:27 am »
At first I thought the movie was alright, but the more I think about it the better it seems for me. It throws everything out the window and is steering away from the Skywalker family to actually expand the universe more.

Its fine to steer the story in a new direction, and have Luke killed off, but the way in which he was killed off was a travesty and laughable..looking into the sunset..

Isn't that him becoming a force ghost just like Yoda?

That was actually one of the few things that I really appreciated about this film. I liked how his "death" wasn't all that remarkable or dramatic. And I guess it was also supposed to be a way of indicating that Luke's made his peace with the past and his own mistakes/fears.

Same with Rey's background. I don't like how the big "reveal" was as abrupt as it was, but I do like the aspect of it.

A lot of the things that many people are expressing they don't like about the film are the things I actually appreciate the most. xD It's just that they weren't executed as well as they could have been, and the ideologies behind them are getting mucked up over the confusion regarding the film's many directions.

The movie just isn't very polished, is the main problem. Again, they have too much shit crammed into a single timeline and perspective, and they're rushing through it so that we can all be on the level for whatever point they're trying to make.

Which, okay... we'll see how the next movie attempts to bring everything together. Hopefully, we'll have something "cleaner."

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2017, 10:23:17 am »
I enjoyed it. The super Leia was funny unintentionally. The only thing that was annoying were the on screen notes whenever you saw a returning character from a previous movie.  I hope this wasn't in every country, only ones where there isn't much of a fan base

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2017, 10:35:44 am »
At first I thought the movie was alright, but the more I think about it the better it seems for me. It throws everything out the window and is steering away from the Skywalker family to actually expand the universe more.

Its fine to steer the story in a new direction, and have Luke killed off, but the way in which he was killed off was a travesty and laughable..looking into the sunset..

That was actually one of the few things that I really appreciated about this film. I liked how his "death" wasn't all that remarkable or dramatic. And I guess it was also supposed to be a way of indicating that Luke's made his peace with the past and his own mistakes/fears.

Same with Rey's background. I don't like how the big "reveal" was as abrupt as it was, but I do like the aspect of it.

Or is it?

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2017, 01:05:21 pm »

Or is it?

Which part is the "is"?

• plan b
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Canada
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2017, 01:26:22 pm »
I seriously don't understand how the so called "professional movie critics" gave this movie a good score, while most internet posters have lambasted this movie up and down, and given it a resounding thumbs down.

* Are the "professional movie critics" paid shills?"
* Are these critics afraid of upsetting the kingdom of Disney, and the repercussions that could follow??

Not too many Star Wars movies make me long for the days of Jar Jar Binks..sigh

• pit23
  • Adventurer

• October 19, 2010, 08:33:50 pm
    • KR
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 02:12:10 pm »
I seriously don't understand how the so called "professional movie critics" gave this movie a good score, while most internet posters have lambasted this movie up and down, and given it a resounding thumbs down.

* Are the "professional movie critics" paid shills?"
* Are these critics afraid of upsetting the kingdom of Disney, and the repercussions that could follow??

Not too many Star Wars movies make me long for the days of Jar Jar Binks..sigh

That's over the top nonsense. You realize that all the internet posting fanboys are getting roasted by other rational internet posting movie fans, don't you? The movie wasn't great, but it was no where near as bad as anything from the Jar Jar days.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2017, 02:15:51 pm »

Or is it?

Which part is the "is"?

Is she really the child of nobodies?

Not a convincing reveal.

• gurudanny98
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 02:01:11 pm
    • Busan South Korea
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2017, 02:17:36 pm »

Or is it?
If you think about it, its sort of mirroring Empire Strikes Back; Luke was told by Vader about being his father, but it wasn't condirmed as the truth until Return of the Jedi, Rey's lineage was told by Kylo, but it wasn't confirmed and probably won't until the next movie, where it would be told to be total nonsence

• sarahlan
  • Waygookin

• September 10, 2016, 11:42:18 pm
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2017, 03:48:30 pm »
Overall it was enjoyable IMO. but yeah, there was a bit too much going on, too many characters and not enough character development. I really liked Rey in it though. Yeah they definitely could have spent more time actually developing her powers, and her just thinking she could save Kylo was a bit naive but I love how she has the whole warrior/ light side thing without really any knowledge or any reason to have it? Kind of hope they keep with the whole "her parents were nothing" story line, but I doubt they will. ALSO I LOVE THE PORGS

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2017, 11:05:12 am »

Not a convincing reveal.

Honestly, I'll be incredibly disappointed if she's more than a child of nobodies.

But I get where you're coming from. It's because it was done so abruptly that it feels disingenuous and leaves the audience thinking that there's more behind the scenes, but, given the way that the rest of the film was done, I feel like this wasn't a poorly disguised distraction from a bigger reveal. It's just a poorly done reveal. I mean that may have been done on purpose -- she's a child of nobodies, so the reveal should be less than stellar... but it's still supposed to be an important revelation, and it's really hard for the audience to empathize with Rey's feelings when the storytellers don't frame it properly.

Do you have any leading theories on who Rey is "really" supposed to be?

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2017, 11:14:56 am »

Not a convincing reveal.

Honestly, I'll be incredibly disappointed if she's more than a child of nobodies.

But I get where you're coming from. It's because it was done so abruptly that it feels disingenuous and leaves the audience thinking that there's more behind the scenes, but, given the way that the rest of the film was done, I feel like this wasn't a poorly disguised distraction from a bigger reveal. It's just a poorly done reveal. I mean that may have been done on purpose -- she's a child of nobodies, so the reveal should be less than stellar... but it's still supposed to be an important revelation, and it's really hard for the audience to empathize with Rey's feelings when the storytellers don't frame it properly.

Do you not think that part of the message of the movie was that the force did not belong to anyone (Jedi) and was for anyone who could connect to it and "feel" it?
I think that her being from nowhere will stick. Did you not notice when the little boy who was living in the stables used the force on his broom. Also a kid from nothing.

The next movie will be about the downtrodden rising up from all over against the mighty evil empire. (Obviously we knew this yrs ago lol) 

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2017, 11:26:05 am »
Do you not think that part of the message of the movie was that the force did not belong to anyone (Jedi) and was for anyone who could connect to it and "feel" it?
I think that her being from nowhere will stick. Did you not notice when the little boy who was living in the stables used the force on his broom. Also a kid from nothing.

The next movie will be about the downtrodden rising up from all over against the mighty evil empire. (Obviously we knew this yrs ago lol)

Absolutely. It's kind of the leading theme in general, along with the idea that there can be no light without dark and that folks need to learn to embrace it and to maintain a balance rather than run in fear from what they don't understand, but I also think that Rey being so powerful is misleading a lot of folks into thinking she's "special" even though they very directly said that the reason why she was so ****** powerful (despite a lack in training) is because the Force is working double-time to balance everything out.

Overall, I like the themes and message. I just don't like the execution of this latest film. I don't think they ruined it by any means. But it's really mediocre where they had the resources to make it great. Just wasted potential.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2017, 11:32:46 am »

Not a convincing reveal.

Perhaps Emperor Palpintine went on a golf weekend in Thailand...

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2017, 11:34:24 am »

[...]

Perhaps Emperor Palpintine went on a golf weekend in Thailand...

This is the only acceptable alternative outcome.

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2017, 12:30:26 pm »
I really liked it :). It had some bad scenes... super leia... oh boy.. and of course that weird adventure Rose and Finn take. Rose was a bad addition.
Overall it had so many great moments though. Rey, Luke, Yoda and Kylo all knocked it out of the park in my opinion. I'm pretty shocked this has the lowest userscore on metacritic out of all the star wars movies.. i mean jeez... has anyone watched the phantom menace recently? It's even worse than I remembered. Jar Jar is in so many scenes and I can barely understand a word he says. The last jedi is flawed but it's miles above the prequels in my book.

• plan b
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Canada
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2017, 02:58:05 pm »
I really liked it :). It had some bad scenes... super leia... oh boy.. and of course that weird adventure Rose and Finn take. Rose was a bad addition.
Overall it had so many great moments though. Rey, Luke, Yoda and Kylo all knocked it out of the park in my opinion. I'm pretty shocked this has the lowest userscore on metacritic out of all the star wars movies.. i mean jeez... has anyone watched the phantom menace recently? It's even worse than I remembered. Jar Jar is in so many scenes and I can barely understand a word he says. The last jedi is flawed but it's miles above the prequels in my book.

No, The Phantom Menace is miles ahead of the Last Jedi in terms of interesting characters, a storyline, and overall speed and pacing during the movie.
The Phantom Menace had Samuel Jackson, Ewan McGregor, and Liam Neeson who dies a hero's death at the end. It also had a kick ass villain in Darth Maul, and  a terrific pod race with a young Darth Vader.
The Last Jedi had Rose, and some chick with purple hair. Jar Jar and Rose are about the same in terms of being annoying which they most definitely are.

• gurudanny98
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 02:01:11 pm
    • Busan South Korea
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2017, 03:33:23 pm »
He said they were drunken junkers, but what if they were Jedi who escaped order 66 and closed themselves off from the Force

• pit23
  • Adventurer

• October 19, 2010, 08:33:50 pm
    • KR
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2017, 07:32:07 am »

No, The Phantom Menace is miles ahead of the Last Jedi in terms of interesting characters, a storyline, and overall speed and pacing during the movie.
The Phantom Menace had Samuel Jackson, Ewan McGregor, and Liam Neeson who dies a hero's death at the end. It also had a kick ass villain in Darth Maul, and  a terrific pod race with a young Darth Vader.
The Last Jedi had Rose, and some chick with purple hair. Jar Jar and Rose are about the same in terms of being annoying which they most definitely are.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rotten-tomatoes-last-jedi-ratings-bots_us_5a38cb78e4b0860bf4aab5b1

Is that you?

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2017, 09:01:39 am »
He said they were drunken junkers, but what if they were Jedi who escaped order 66 and closed themselves off from the Force

i'd say the most plausible theory is that she's Obi-wan Kenobi's daughter or granddaughter. lot's of clues to this that have been mentioned online.

this basically sums it up nicely: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostrower/rey-is-obi-wan-kenobis-granddaughter_b_8911656.html

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2017, 09:14:29 am »

i'd say the most plausible theory is that she's Obi-wan Kenobi's daughter or granddaughter. lot's of clues to this that have been mentioned online.

this basically sums it up nicely: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostrower/rey-is-obi-wan-kenobis-granddaughter_b_8911656.html

He was at the golf weekend too, so itís going hard to tell.