Read 1427 times

Online MA - where's it at these days?
« on: December 11, 2017, 03:26:01 pm »
Just found out all high school jobs in my city (mine included) have been cut for next year. I should be able to transfer to a middle/elementary school in the same area, but it's a reminder of how unpredictable things can be as an ESLer in Korea.

I'm about to start looking into some online MA programs (in TESOL, or something similar) as a means of cementing my place in the system (or even the Korean system at large). I've started putting down some fairly serious roots here, so I'd like to have options (uni post, or even a quality hagwon (is that an oxymoron?)) if/when the PS axe drops for good.

Would an online MA be consistent with these aims? Or should I direct my resources elsewhere?   

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Re: Online MA - where's it at these days?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 03:30:18 pm »
Others might disagree but I have found getting my English degree and doing (and listing it on my resume) a thesis related to EFL pedagogy has definitely increased the calls I get for jobs I apply to including universities and private schools (not hagwons).
I did my online English MA at www.snhu.edu
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 03:41:24 pm »
Others might disagree but I have found getting my English degree and doing (and listing it on my resume) a thesis related to EFL pedagogy has definitely increased the calls I get for jobs I apply to including universities and private schools (not hagwons).
So your MA is in English Lit? That's interesting! Are these more or less interchangeable with MA TESOLs here? Or is there a preference out there?

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 08:22:12 am »
So your MA is in English Lit? That's interesting! Are these more or less interchangeable with MA TESOLs here? Or is there a preference out there?
It's an English Language and Literature MA. I can't say if they are viewed as interchangeable, but I don't view them as such. If a person intends to make TESOL their career, particularly at the tertiary level, then TESOL might be a better choice. I chose this degree because it was cheaper (I hadn't heard of Framingham's program at the time) and because it's also accepted in Korea. I did do my thesis on EFL writing, so that helps me get the interviews.  Although, I EFL is my career, I don't really regret not getting a TESOL MA because having this degree opens other jobs to me and not just university.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 01:08:33 pm »
I'm currently doing my MA in applied linguistics with Birmingham. They have a great online distance learning MA program which can be either TESOL or Applied linguistics. It takes 2 and a half years and of course studying outside of a classroom setting without anyone to really push you can be hard but i've enjoyed it a lot. Just 3 months left... can't wait to finish this dissertation lol. If you're interested then I'd recommend Birmingham anyways :).

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 01:13:28 pm »
I'm currently doing my MA in applied linguistics with Birmingham. They have a great online distance learning MA program which can be either TESOL or Applied linguistics. It takes 2 and a half years and of course studying outside of a classroom setting without anyone to really push you can be hard but i've enjoyed it a lot. Just 3 months left... can't wait to finish this dissertation lol. If you're interested then I'd recommend Birmingham anyways :).

Thanks for your reply! Can you comment on the fee structure?

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 01:24:21 pm »
It's an English Language and Literature MA. I can't say if they are viewed as interchangeable, but I don't view them as such. If a person intends to make TESOL their career, particularly at the tertiary level, then TESOL might be a better choice. I chose this degree because it was cheaper (I hadn't heard of Framingham's program at the time) and because it's also accepted in Korea. I did do my thesis on EFL writing, so that helps me get the interviews.  Although, I EFL is my career, I don't really regret not getting a TESOL MA because having this degree opens other jobs to me and not just university.

I've got a few questions about this, if that's okay:

Was your undergrad also in English of some sort? I've thought about looking into programs like that, but I'm worried having an unrelated BA (Spanish, in my case) could be a hindrance.

Were you able to finish the course in 15 months like their site says is possible? How much work would you say you put into it every week (whether or not you did it in 15 months)?

On that note, is it difficult working on things like research papers and theses when your only resource is the internet? I know I tried to do as much as possible via internet resources when working on my undergrad, but there were still a couple papers that necessitated a trip to a brick-and-mortar library.

Lastly, when you sign up for the course, do you pay the fees for a semester/term/whatever in full before it starts, or do they do a monthly payment sort of thing?

I hope that isn't hijacking the thread or anything.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 01:31:57 pm »
I hope that isn't hijacking the thread or anything.

Not at all. I'd also appreciate an answer on these points! Thanks in advance to travelinpantsgirl  :smiley:

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 01:39:16 pm »
I've got a few questions about this, if that's okay:

Was your undergrad also in English of some sort? I've thought about looking into programs like that, but I'm worried having an unrelated BA (Spanish, in my case) could be a hindrance.

My BA is in Broadcast Communications, my other MA is in Corporate and Organizational Communications. I don't know what you mean by having an unrelated degree would be a hindrance. Are you worried the content would be difficult because you'd have no previous background in it? If so, I wouldn't worry about that, as long as you can write, because you will be writing A LOT! And you will be greatly judged by that writing. They use AP format FYI.

Were you able to finish the course in 15 months like their site says is possible? How much work would you say you put into it every week (whether or not you did it in 15 months)?

They recommend if you're working, to only take one course a semester, but you can take two, but you will find that you will have almost no social life unless you already teach uni and have low working hours. You probably can finish in 15 months, but I wouldn't recommend it. I took much longer because I took a break in between. On a hagwon schedule (which actually wasn't terrible, 9-3 two days a week and 9-7 3 days a week, I found it too difficult to keep up the two courses I had, especially since my kindy kids kept getting me sick). When I switched back to public I took two classes during camps and deskwarming and it was easy. I did spend a lot of Saturday and Sunday days doing assignments, especially final papers which are very long.

On that note, is it difficult working on things like research papers and theses when your only resource is the internet? I know I tried to do as much as possible via internet resources when working on my undergrad, but there were still a couple papers that necessitated a trip to a brick-and-mortar library.

They provide you with free access to Jstor and other journal sites and you become an expert (they teach you) on how to use the internet academically. I did not feel at a disadvantage, I can't remember the last time I used a hard copy book to do research. Almost all research, even old stuff had been scanned and cataloged on Jstor and the like.

Lastly, when you sign up for the course, do you pay the fees for a semester/term/whatever in full before it starts, or do they do a monthly payment sort of thing?

I took out student loans, as I am American (I don't know your nationality) so I don't know about payment plans.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:03:05 pm by travelinpantsgirl »

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 01:45:25 pm »
My BA is in Broadcast Communications, my other MA is in Corporate and Organizational Communications. I don't know what you mean by having an unrelated degree would be a hindrance. Are you worried the content would be difficult because you'd have no previous background in it? If so, I wouldn't worry about that, as long as you can write, because you will be writing A LOT! And you will be greatly judged by that writing. They use AP format FYI.

I suppose I meant mostly with regards to my ability to be accepted into the program. I've never applied for grad school before, so I don't know how closely they look at/consider an applicant's undergrad field of study. I also wasn't sure whether or not something like an English Lit MA program would have required courses that one might usually have completed as an undergrad if English was his or her field.

I've done a fair bit of writing on things like literature, poetry, and linguistics in the course of my undergrad work...

...but it was all in Spanish.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cry:

I have used AP before, though, so that won't phase me.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 02:00:33 pm »

I suppose I meant mostly with regards to my ability to be accepted into the program. I've never applied for grad school before, so I don't know how closely they look at/consider an applicant's undergrad field of study. I also wasn't sure whether or not something like an English Lit MA program would have required courses that one might usually have completed as an undergrad if English was his or her field.

I've done a fair bit of writing on things like literature, poetry, and linguistics in the course of my undergrad work...

...but it was all in Spanish.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cry:

I have used AP before, though, so that won't phase me.
Uhhh, it's a good school but I don't think it's difficult to get into.  :wink:
They do a course evaluation when you come in IF you already have another MA, like I did, and I was able to skip two courses but for only having a BA, they just accept you based on your GPA I believe.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 02:01:32 pm »
Also, I fixed my reply...takes a little wrangling to insert my answers separately from your questions.... 8)