Read 4034 times

• Westleah
  • Waygookin

• February 19, 2011, 08:49:25 pm
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
A Word or 2
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:32:01 am »
Here is a game I decided to play with my classes the week before midterms.

It's a game show I used to watch when I was younger and it's our version of "Des Chiffres et des Lettres". It's a game of words and numbers; although, I didn't add the numbers portion of the game.

It's a simple game where the contestants choose either 'vowel' or 'consonant' until there are nine letters. Then, with those nine letters, they make words. The longer the word, the more points they get (the points equal the number of letters they've used). The contestant with the longest word is the winner for that round, but (at least in our version) everybody who gives a word gets points. However, in the classroom, if the winner had six letters and there were two or three students with five-letter words, I only gave those students points (it's easier when deciding on a winner for the game). I was hesitant to give students points for words of less than 5 letters.

Then, there is the conundrum. In the conundrum round, students are given nine letters and they have to use all nine letters to make a word. The conundrum is "cellphone" and the clues I gave were 'technology' and the word, 'hello', which appears in the conundrum. I had to explain a bit more in the classroom, though. There's supposed to be an interesting play on words, but it was difficult to think of words. The next conundrum (there should actually only be one) is "playful" and it contains less letters (not that it makes it any easier). I show the students the conundrum at the beginning, and then at the end of the class, I give a few minutes for them to decipher it.

Also, in the beginning, there is a leader board. I put pictures of my students in the frames and show their (fictional) points below. This is to explain that they get points for every word they make, and also, it may motivate them as the points are ridiculously high.

I gave out a grand prize for the winner and then also a prize for the runner-up.

You will need alphabet squares with enough vowels and consonants to play the game, which could be laminated.

Hope your classes enjoy it if you do try it with them.

A Word or 2
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:23:06 pm »
Thanks so much for posting this!! Totally forgot about this one... I remember this game show and I loved it back then. Am so looking forward to play at school.

• hsquire1
  • Newgookin

• December 14, 2010, 04:24:58 pm
    • Daejeon, South Korea
Re: A Word or 2
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:06:15 pm »
that sounds like a great game for vocab.  I'm always trying to expand my boy's vocab. I try scattergories at least once a week for about 10 minutes or so. here's the worksheet I found for all the different categories. Just make them write in their notebooks instead of printing out hundreds of sheets.

• Westleah
  • Waygookin

• February 19, 2011, 08:49:25 pm
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:35:13 pm »
@mrs.incredible: it's a pleasure. I hope it went well with your classes if you tried it with them.

hsquire: thanks for the scattergories worksheet. I was actually thinking of playing that with my third grade classes next week, but I couldn't think of a way to make it simple. Your worksheet seems perfect for my classes. thanks.

• Candyfloss
  • Adventurer

• October 25, 2010, 10:20:22 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 03:05:02 pm »
Here is a game I decided to play with my classes the week before midterms.

It's a game show I used to watch when I was younger and it's our version of "Des Chiffres et des Lettres". It's a game of words and numbers; although, I didn't add the numbers portion of the game.

It's a simple game where the contestants choose either 'vowel' or 'consonant' until there are nine letters. Then, with those nine letters, they make words. The longer the word, the more points they get (the points equal the number of letters they've used). The contestant with the longest word is the winner for that round, but (at least in our version) everybody who gives a word gets points. However, in the classroom, if the winner had six letters and there were two or three students with five-letter words, I only gave those students points (it's easier when deciding on a winner for the game). I was hesitant to give students points for words of less than 5 letters.

Then, there is the conundrum. In the conundrum round, students are given nine letters and they have to use all nine letters to make a word. The conundrum is "cellphone" and the clues I gave were 'technology' and the word, 'hello', which appears in the conundrum. I had to explain a bit more in the classroom, though. There's supposed to be an interesting play on words, but it was difficult to think of words. The next conundrum (there should actually only be one) is "playful" and it contains less letters (not that it makes it any easier). I show the students the conundrum at the beginning, and then at the end of the class, I give a few minutes for them to decipher it.

Also, in the beginning, there is a leader board. I put pictures of my students in the frames and show their (fictional) points below. This is to explain that they get points for every word they make, and also, it may motivate them as the points are ridiculously high.

I gave out a grand prize for the winner and then also a prize for the runner-up.

You will need alphabet squares with enough vowels and consonants to play the game, which could be laminated.

Hope your classes enjoy it if you do try it with them.

I remember this...Loved this show.  Awesome Idea^^