Read 2899 times

Re: Any male Brits over 40 managed to get afternoon hakwan jobs close to Seoul?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 06:37:44 am »
A university gig would not even know (or give a t*ss) what QTS was/is. As mentioned already, but I'll say it again, you need an MA TESOL/Applied Linguistics/English to get a uni gig in Korea nowadays. I worked with a colleague in Korea last year who used to work at a uni on his BA degree but he got kicked out or something once unis in Korea started asking for MAs,

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 06:49:17 am »
A university gig would not even know (or give a t*ss) what QTS was/is. As mentioned already, but I'll say it again, you need an MA TESOL/Applied Linguistics/English to get a uni gig in Korea nowadays. I worked with a colleague in Korea last year who used to work at a uni on his BA degree but he got kicked out or something once unis in Korea started asking for MAs,
\
Hate to correct you yet again but the minimum requirements of most Korean universities these days are an MA in anything (TESOL, Applied Linguistics etc... preferred) plus two years university experience. So basically an MA in brewing studies plus 2 years uni experience trumps a BA in TESOL plus CELTA, DELTA and 10 years uni experience. Strange but true. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 01:54:56 pm »
Almost correct. Minumum requirement is BA plus four years of uni teaching experience or MA plus two or PhD plus zero.

So basically a BA in brewing studies plus 4 years uni experience (obtained at a time it was much easier to get a uni job) trumps an MA in TESOL plus CELTA, DELTA and 1 year of uni experience. Strange but true.

I know TONS of BA +4 'professors' with an unrelated undergraduate degree and nothing else. No CELTA, no nothing. They're working at the best university jobs because they got in early. A few unis may pressure their BA staff to get an online MATESOL, but not many. Because the unrelated BA +4 suffices for government funding / rankings. A related MA with CELTA and DELTA does not unless two years uni teaching experience is also there.

How to get uni experience without years of uni experience? You can't. Unless you have a PhD.

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 02:24:14 pm »
Almost correct. Minumum requirement is BA plus four years of uni teaching experience or MA plus two or PhD plus zero.

So basically a BA in brewing studies plus 4 years uni experience (obtained at a time it was much easier to get a uni job) trumps an MA in TESOL plus CELTA, DELTA and 1 year of uni experience. Strange but true.

I know TONS of BA +4 'professors' with an unrelated undergraduate degree and nothing else. No CELTA, no nothing. They're working at the best university jobs because they got in early. A few unis may pressure their BA staff to get an online MATESOL, but not many. Because the unrelated BA +4 suffices for government funding / rankings. A related MA with CELTA and DELTA does not unless two years uni teaching experience is also there.

How to get uni experience without years of uni experience? You can't. Unless you have a PhD.

Yes, so a BA in TESOL + CELTA + DELTA + 3 years' uni experience would beat an MA brewing studies + 2 years' uni experience in both experience and qualifications but would still lose out in the job application process.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 04:52:23 pm »
Never met a guy like you described above. But he ever did exist, all he'd have to is get a cheap one year pay for the degree online MATESOL. DELTA even gives class credits towards that.

The current MATESOL holder with a CELTA and DELTA completed but not yet in a uni job wouldn't be able upgrade to get in short of getting a doctorate. Which is way more difficult than an MA.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 05:57:12 pm »
So, get a rural university where no one wants to go.  Get your experience there and then jump to another uni if all you have is a bachelor.  Still, given many pay 2.1ish or so, is it worth it getting that online TESOL Master's?  Can you actually enter business or anything else back home after you're done playing here?

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 06:43:54 pm »
Even rural universities are flooded with applicants. Hundreds for each job posting. And those are the ones who really need to follow the BA + 4 / MA + 2 because they're the ones in most danger of being shut down. They can get people with uni experience. And if they can't they'll just increase everyone's class hours 25% with no increase in payment. Or maybe a small token increase in payment that in no way compensates for the extra work. That's been happening a lot. It's a major reason uni jobs are becoming more scarce. It's not just a decrease of students. It's less workers covering more hours.

BA + 5 years uni experience = can get a rural uni job

MA + 3 years uni experience = can get a rural uni job

MA without uni experience = not a chance in hell pretty much

BA without uni experience = odds are even worse. This isn't 2009 when uni jobs were easy to get. (Even easier in 2005, easier still in 2001, etc.)

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 08:53:56 am »
I have worked here, and it was a decent place when I worked there. They don't to appear to have any discrimination. Lots of racial and age diversity.
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=73003

Also, my school will be hiring soon because I am leaving BUT I don't know if they are going to insist on another female for balance (the other teacher is male) AND you have to be in Korea and have your own housing as they only pay housing allowance. It's not a hagwon. It's not posted yet.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 06:32:35 pm »
Was offered an interview there but turned it down, too many negative reviews on glassdoor / Indeed.  I don't take such reviews too seriously tbh as many could be from first timers in Korea who don't understand the working environment or who have never even really worked much in their home countries and have an unhealthy sense of entitlement etc.  But when the negative reviews are that much, you have to be cautious.  Plus the workload compared to the salary they offered me with 'no negotiation' was too much work for too little.  I'm sure I'd be offered more if I was a pretty young American just out of college and that has always been the reality for me as a Brit even when I was in my twenties in Korea.  Sorry if that sounds cynical but I've quickly woken to how the ESL scene in Korea really works again, after letting myself forget after the opposite experience in China.

To the other posters in the thread.  My TEFL is indeed an online one, but I really feel anyone claiming Korean hakwans take CELTA seriously are not accurate.  It means nothing there and might get you an extra 100,000 at a hakwan maybe but I doubt it.  I'd like to do one and had considered it when I lived there but I did my research and found great for Europe entry level jobs but not much else which is why I did the online TEFL as it put me from 2.3 to 2.6 in the PS system where I was working at the time.  For the record neither any public school or hakwan position job required me to use any of the skills I leanred on it as most of you will already know. 

For a university even in rural areas you need an MA minimum or BA education.   For public school a CELTA would get you more, even my online TEFL was counted when I worked at public school.

Anyhow all I'm being offered in Seoul at the moment is really tough hours kindy jobs.  And they're really offering me low salaries.  I'm up for the hard work but they do not value that nor my experience or education at all to offer me a commensurate salary.  When I mention the extensive types of classes I have taught, the classroom management techniques I have over new teachers, a stable and grown up social support network already in place etc, they say all the right things but I truly feel they really discard it and are really only thinking of the bottom line.

No way I'm doing kindy for 2.1 and watching the afternoon teachers come in get paid the same or more for six 50 minute classes. 

Here's a recent thread on my experiences so far.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=111858.msg740473;topicseen#new

I'm going to end up saying 'no kindy, afternoon hakwan only' just like I used to in my last few years there.  If it means only 2.1 / 2.2 that's fine I can work with that as a first year salary (I'm pretty sure that's how they view me, my ten years experience means nothing) but won't do intensive kindy or in depth essay classes for that.

Hey ho, I'm not complaining, I'm a realist and I know that's just the way it works and have no interested getting into debates about it, they are businesses first and need to make money just like any other business.

I'll keep plugging for Seoul or satellite city afternoon to evening jobs as they tend to open up more after winter examination time, and if I haven't struck gold in a month's time, email all the recruiters I'm working with and say okay I'm up for Busan also, as I like Busan and have friends there too.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:34:47 pm by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 07:40:07 pm »
I have, see my post above your's.

Also for her exact job, I'm not what they're looking for so no point.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:45:03 pm by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 09:38:44 pm »
You don't need a CELTA or TEFL cert to get a job in Korea. You only need a BA degree. IT may help secure a job if you have a Celta or TEFL  but it isn't a requirement.  :laugh:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2017, 07:24:11 am »
You don't need a CELTA or TEFL cert to get a job in Korea. You only need a BA degree. IT may help secure a job if you have a Celta or TEFL  but it isn't a requirement.  :laugh:
all public schools require a TEFL certificate. this has been the case as long as i've been in korea

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2017, 08:39:26 am »
I have, see my post above your's.

Also for her exact job, I'm not what they're looking for so no point.

I think you misunderstand Dave's post. He knows what kind of job I currently have. It's not the hagwon I posted. I only posted that because you asked for hagwon. My current school, not a hagwon is also hiring because I am leaving.
PM me if interested. Near Seoul.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.