Read 4666 times

Re: Encouragement to Move to Thailand
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 08:54:37 pm »
   Not here to rag on people wanting a change of pace/life from Korea, but I would suggest to anyone considering Thailand to first check out the book (which is banned in Thailand, by the way...):

THAILAND: Deadly Destination  (2015)

by John Stapleton

Should give any sane person pause for thought...!

Is this another fear-mogerning tactic?

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 09:53:04 pm »
Have you read the book?

If not, STFU!

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 10:48:16 pm »
Have you read the book?

If not, STFU!

Have you been to Thailand?

If not, then you STFU!

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 10:53:54 pm »

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 04:45:01 pm »
   Not here to rag on people wanting a change of pace/life from Korea, but I would suggest to anyone considering Thailand to first check out the book (which is banned in Thailand, by the way...):

THAILAND: Deadly Destination  (2015)

by John Stapleton

Should give any sane person pause for thought...!

Is this another fear-mogerning tactic?

I saw this a few days ago and remembered this thread.

British millionaire and wife murdered in Thailand mansion
Couple's bodies found in garden

Tuesday 25 September 2018

The bodies of a British millionaire and his wife have been discovered in northern Thailand, days after the couple were first reported missing.

Alan Hogg, a retired businessman and his wife, Nod Suddaen, were reported missing from their home in the province of Phrae last week.

Police have arrested three men in connection with the killings. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/alan-hogg-nott-wife-thailand-murder-british-millionaire-hitmen-missing-arrest-latest-a8553851.html
Catch my drift?

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 09:02:30 pm »
I started this post since November 2017. I never thought I would make another discussion about this here.
But I just got word from my school board in writing saying that my job as a music teacher for both
schools on this First Nations school board has been cut. After 2 years of working for this First Nations
school board, I am leaving this job. What's even worse is that they waited 9 days before the end of the
school year to tell me this when they should have told me from last month.

After June, 20th, I will be unemployed. But due to the cutbacks in education here in the province of
Ontario, I will not even be able to stand a chance, definitely not in Canada.

So if I have to leave Canada again, I will. I am definitely willing to go for broke and teach in Thailand.
So I will be applying for teaching positions in Thailand, and if I do get a chance, I will most likely make it
for the October semester.

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 07:37:39 am »
If I was young, single and male I would still choose Korea.  Good beer, hot women, decent money.

I would choose Thailand if I was independently wealthy or expecting an inheritance, because
you ain't gonna make much money there.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2019, 07:55:27 am »
I started this post since November 2017. I never thought I would make another discussion about this here.
But I just got word from my school board in writing saying that my job as a music teacher for both
schools on this First Nations school board has been cut. After 2 years of working for this First Nations
school board, I am leaving this job. What's even worse is that they waited 9 days before the end of the

After June, 20th, I will be unemployed. But due to the cutbacks in education here in the province of

So if I have to leave Canada again, I will. I am definitely willing to go for broke and teach in Thailand.
So I will be applying for teaching positions in Thailand, and if I do get a chance, I will most likely make it

That sucks man. After putting in 2 years to be dumped like that. Are you certain there is absolutely nothing in Canada? What about supply/substitute teaching? I know a few people who do that (not in Canada) and the pay isn't bad and it keeps things fresh.

I taught in Thailand for a few months in 2004. Personally, it's not for me. Tropical countries are nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live/work there long term. Also there was a lot of dodgy stuff with no recourse through government agencies. Non-payment of wages, similar stuff you hear about at hogwons in Korea. Granted, this was 15 years ago and Thailand has changed a lot in that time.

Seeing as you are a licensed at experienced teacher in Canada, doesn't that open up opportunities at international schools, in more desirable locations?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2019, 08:06:38 am »

Don't you have a girlfriend in Thailand? I remember reading something about that a while ago.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2019, 08:10:36 am »
If you have a teaching license, and have 2 years experience in your country...why aren't you looking at the vastly better opportunities at accredited international schools??

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2019, 12:37:42 pm »

Don't you have a girlfriend in Thailand? I remember reading something about that a while ago.

She would be a good help for me if I move there.

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2019, 12:55:03 pm »

That sucks man. After putting in 2 years to be dumped like that. Are you certain there is absolutely nothing in Canada? What about supply/substitute teaching? I know a few people who do that (not in Canada) and the pay isn't bad and it keeps things fresh.

I taught in Thailand for a few months in 2004. Personally, it's not for me. Tropical countries are nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live/work there long term. Also there was a lot of dodgy stuff with no recourse through government agencies. Non-payment of wages, similar stuff you hear about at hogwons in Korea. Granted, this was 15 years ago and Thailand has changed a lot in that time.

Seeing as you are a licensed at experienced teacher in Canada, doesn't that open up opportunities at international schools, in more desirable locations?

I would definitely consider supply teaching here in Canada, in fact I went to two recent interviews in Southern, Ontario.
One for the Niagra District School Board and the other in Ottawa. Both of them were for supply teaching positions and
both of them said no. And that left me with wanting to stay on my job at the Indigenous reserve school. But they have
ended my contract starting June 20th, and I have to stay afloat by going on Employment Insurance.

What is stopping me here in Ontario is that the provincial government has made cutbacks to education which will result
in the loss of several jobs for teachers. (I cannot blame the government for my loss because they have no hand in the
Indigenous reserve schools). So because of that, I have to look outside the borders. Not only outside of Ontario, but
also outside of Canada.

I would love to return to South Korea to teach EFL in their public schools, but they are not being reasonable in their
application process regarding the sample lesson plans. I would also love to return to Japan, I am better off going
back to Japan for a job now than I was 8 years ago. But when it comes to international schools, It doesn't hurt for
me to apply for one of these. I put 2 years teaching in Canada so I should not have a problem. What is stopping me
is the fact that I do not have a TEFL certification.

So I will keep on applying everywhere including Canada. But if I get any interviews, and I happen to get two job
offers, one in Canada and the other overseas, I would take the one here in Canada as I did in 2017. But in some
cases it would be too late if I made my move to obtain a visa overseas and then a Canadian employer calls me
for a job offer.

As for Thailand, so far I had just sent my CV/Resume to one employer that's looking for more teachers.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2019, 01:03:34 pm »

I would definitely consider supply teaching here in Canada, in fact I went to two recent interviews in Southern, Ontario.
One for the Niagra District School Board and the other in Ottawa. Both of them were for supply teaching positions and
both of them said no. And that left me with wanting to stay on my job at the Indigenous reserve school. But they have
ended my contract starting June 20th, and I have to stay afloat by going on Employment Insurance.

What is stopping me here in Ontario is that the provincial government has made cutbacks to education which will result
in the loss of several jobs for teachers. (I cannot blame the government for my loss because they have no hand in the
Indigenous reserve schools). So because of that, I have to look outside the borders. Not only outside of Ontario, but
also outside of Canada.

I would love to return to South Korea to teach EFL in their public schools, but they are not being reasonable in their
application process regarding the sample lesson plans. I would also love to return to Japan, I am better off going
back to Japan for a job now than I was 8 years ago. But when it comes to international schools, It doesn't hurt for
me to apply for one of these. I put 2 years teaching in Canada so I should not have a problem. What is stopping me

So I will keep on applying everywhere including Canada. But if I get any interviews, and I happen to get two job
offers, one in Canada and the other overseas, I would take the one here in Canada as I did in 2017. But in some
cases it would be too late if I made my move to obtain a visa overseas and then a Canadian employer calls me
for a job offer.

As for Thailand, so far I had just sent my CV/Resume to one employer that's looking for more teachers.

Uhh... How are they unreasonable with their sample lesson plans? O.o

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2019, 08:48:10 pm »

also outside of Canada.

for a job offer.

The people in EPIK in Korea want you to write a sample lesson plan that is not too easy or too
difficult. You try to write one that is not too difficult or too easy, they will still find a way to reject
it.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2019, 12:04:20 am »

I thought you had some other job offers in Canada. I guess they didn't come through. That's a drag, for sure.

If you're up for an international school go to Hong Kong. That's where the money is (and right now the action).  I'd bet you could get a job in the US, maybe even on a reservation. Someone posted on here than NZ is hiring, and being from Canada you should be qualified.

Why go back (to Korea or elsewhere) when you can move forward?

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2019, 09:20:23 pm »

I thought you had some other job offers in Canada. I guess they didn't come through. That's a drag, for sure.

If you're up for an international school go to Hong Kong. That's where the money is (and right now the action).  I'd bet you could get a job in the US, maybe even on a reservation. Someone posted on here than NZ is hiring, and being from Canada you should be qualified.

I didn't get any job offers in Canada. I had two recent interviews and I was rejected.
I don't know if I would ever consider going for a job teaching on a reservation in the
USA, such as teaching for a Navajo school. As for international schools in Hong Kong,
good luck on that one because Hong Kong is not an easy place to get into. And their
housing costs Lord have mercy.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2019, 10:32:38 pm »

I didn't get any job offers in Canada. I had two recent interviews and I was rejected.
I don't know if I would ever consider going for a job teaching on a reservation in the
USA, such as teaching for a Navajo school. As for international schools in Hong Kong,
good luck on that one because Hong Kong is not an easy place to get into. And their

Positive waves, bruh. Hong Kong may not be easy, but that doesn't make it impossible. Housing ain't cheap, but then nether are the salaries. Teaching in the US doesn't have to be on a reservation. 

It sounds like you are more than qualified.  Finding a good job isn't easy. You've got to work at it.

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2019, 04:11:48 pm »

Positive waves, bruh. Hong Kong may not be easy, but that doesn't make it impossible. Housing ain't cheap, but then nether are the salaries. Teaching in the US doesn't have to be on a reservation. 

It sounds like you are more than qualified.  Finding a good job isn't easy. You've got to work at it.

Thank You.
If I see anything from Hong Kong I will go for it.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2019, 08:05:13 am »

also outside of Canada.

for a job offer.

The people in EPIK in Korea want you to write a sample lesson plan that is not too easy or too
difficult. You try to write one that is not too difficult or too easy, they will still find a way to reject
it.

I wrote a simple one and got accepted.

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2019, 09:58:46 pm »

also outside of Canada.

for a job offer.

it.

I wrote a simple one and got accepted.

Not in my case when I applied directly to EPIK 2 years ago.