Read 5353 times

Re: Ramsey under fire for Cass endorsement
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 11:10:24 am »
The problem with Ramsey doing it, isn't because it's a celebrity endorsing Cass. The problem is that he is a chef and thus it clashes with his presentation and image.

Like, if Conan O'Brien or Hines Ward or Emma Stone endorsed Cass, who gives a shit? It'd just be some ad featuring them out having fun and drinking Cass. That emphasizes the experience of drinking. Ramsey on the other hand is emphasizing the taste qualities.

Yes precisely. Imagine his reaction if he did an episode of hotel hell when he went to a struggling hotel that had their own micro brewery and served him up Cass for lunch. I reckon it's odd on the words 'piss' and 'effing' would appear at some point.

It's like if Dave Ramsay, who makes a living out of giving people financial advice, did an advert endorsing some pyramid scheme, just because they paid him a lot.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:30:11 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2017, 01:54:37 pm »
I now know at the next company dinner when they serve Cass, and I want to have my contract renewed all I have to do is take a sip of that garbage, express utter joy, and scream "BLOODY FRESH!" and it's a wrap I am in!

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2017, 02:21:23 pm »
Also, I know that the most consumed alcoholic drink in the world is soju which can be made from rice, wheat, or barley so why dont that advertise that this way? haha
Beer is the most consumed alcoholic drink in the world by far.
I think what you mean is that it's the most consumed spirit/liquor.  :smiley:

I stand corrected! But youre def right on that. The most consumed spirit being Jinro, at least a couple years ago when I saw the proud ads for it
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:25:46 pm by chrisinkorea2011 »

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2017, 03:06:05 pm »
I'm not a drinker, but I think it's safe to say his endorsement won't change a thing.

Case and Hite would still be the drink of choice in Korea for a million reasons other than Gordon Ramsey.
I've never seen a can of Case or Hite outside Asia and judging by what most of you are saying, the off chance it does make it's
way to the West, it'll be spat out. For the most part Westerner's aren't really affected by celebrity endorsements anymore, at least in comparison to Asia.

It'll be about as effective as Korean companies previous attempts at breaking into the Western market:

Korean ads...making delicious food look as unappetizing as possible.

Ramsay would probably say that bowl of Makoli looks like a bowl of semen and dismiss it out of hand. Unless he was getting paid

The hell? Why did they make these adverts so dry? I get they were probably trying to play up the "eastern-ness" of their food and drink what with the traditional clothes and whatnot, but by the blood of the virgin Mary the colorscheme and text font look suitable for a mental ward whose patients will involuntarily shit themselves if they view anything remotely exciting.

You should see the bulgogi one they did. a plate of gray meat. if you replaced the Korean celebrity hanging over it with a chihuahua, I swear it would not have looked out of place as a petfood advertisement.

They need to do one that says

DO YOU KNOW DIARRHEA????
Roadside weeds and rotten meat are sooooooooooooooooooo delicious!  :afro: :afro: :afro:

(sorry, after 5 years I've just gotten realllllly tired of constantly being served rotten food here)
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

• 미국인병
  • Veteran

• November 25, 2016, 08:41:27 am
    • 울산
    more
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 07:54:39 am »

You should see the bulgogi one they did. a plate of gray meat. if you replaced the Korean celebrity hanging over it with a chihuahua, I swear it would not have looked out of place as a petfood advertisement.

This is seriously some uncanny valley sort of content.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2017, 08:14:16 am »
Also, I know that the most consumed alcoholic drink in the world is soju which can be made from rice, wheat, or barley so why dont that advertise that this way? haha
Beer is the most consumed alcoholic drink in the world by far.
I think what you mean is that it's the most consumed spirit/liquor.  :smiley:

... measured in "cases".

It is classed as a spirit, but consumed as wine or beer would be.

Never have I ever reported the number of bottles of Gin/Scotch/Vodka/Rum consumed with dinner.

- Col. Pendantic
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:13:14 pm by JNM »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2017, 11:56:53 am »
Never have I ever reported the number of bottles of Gin/Scotch/Vodka/Rum consumed with dinner.
- Col. Pendantic
...because the reported number would embarrassingly high?  :wink:

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2017, 10:36:41 am »
Gordon Ramsay is known for his impeccable palate, but he's being called out for endorsing the "worst beer in the world".

The Michelin-starred chef has been criticised for choosing to endorse South Korean Cass beer, a beverage beer fans have called "pretty terrible" and possibly the "worst beer in the world".

I told you but you didn't listen! Why didn't you listen?

• metzy244
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2013, 02:52:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2017, 11:55:07 am »
Anyone criticising Ramsay about this is a bloody hypocrite. As if you lot wouldnt sell out to Cass first chance you got. Jog on with the nonsense.

Difference is, Ramsey has a million dollar empire who doesn't need the $, so you can't compare to regular people, who have to work and don't own multiple restaurants/tv shows.  Cass is a$$.  This isn't Hugh Jackman selling overpriced pens, this is a guy whose career is about flavor and taste promoting piss water.  So I'd say the criticism is earned.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2017, 12:37:37 pm »
Anyone criticising Ramsay about this is a bloody hypocrite. As if you lot wouldnt sell out to Cass first chance you got. Jog on with the nonsense.

Difference is, Ramsey has a million dollar empire who doesn't need the $, so you can't compare to regular people, who have to work and don't own multiple restaurants/tv shows.  Cass is a$$.  This isn't Hugh Jackman selling overpriced pens, this is a guy whose career is about flavor and taste promoting piss water.  So I'd say the criticism is earned.

I think due to recent court rulings against him and mismanagement of his finances, he may have needed the extra cash.

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2017, 12:53:57 pm »

I think due to recent court rulings against him and mismanagement of his finances, he may have needed the extra cash.

Not according to this. Unless he's lost a helluva lot since May

https://coed.com/2017/05/26/gordon-ramsay-net-worth-how-much-is-gordon-worth-money-british-master-chef-hells-kitchen/

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2017, 01:02:25 pm »
Apples and oranges, really, but in other professions, full disclosure is the norm.

Nothing like a financial analyst advocating for the masses to invest in a stock that they hold without revealing it.

"I am being paid 1.6 million by the makers of Cass.  It's bloody fresh."

Most can see through it, so I don't see the harm.  After all, it is his reputation, not mine.

If one Korean is able to feel proud again of their national beer, mission accomplished.

For those who have never tried it, once they do, the jig is up.

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2017, 01:11:42 pm »
After all, it is his reputation, not mine.

It's also the reputation of the failing businesses he's supposedly turning around. If he revamps some hotel/restaurant's food and subsequently pronounces it 'f....ing delicious,' who's going to believe that's his actual opinion? 

• 미국인병
  • Veteran

• 울산
    more
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2017, 01:18:06 pm »
I feel like people who say Cass is the worst beer on Earth haven't really tried many beers.

'Bland,' 'mediocre,' and 'boring' are accurate, but saying that it's literally one of the worst beers ever? Get real. It doesn't have enough taste to even warrant that kind of description.

I'm going to have to agree with this. I find Cass pretty inoffensive -- although admittedly I'm the kind of person who thinks heavy IPAs taste like shampoo, so maybe I don't have the palate for good beer.

There are certainly much better beers than Cass. But I mean, when I'm scarfing down 삼겹살 and need beer for my 소맥 then Cass works just fine. There are far better beers, but it's far from undrinkable.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2017, 01:30:59 pm »
I feel like people who say Cass is the worst beer on Earth haven't really tried many beers.

'Bland,' 'mediocre,' and 'boring' are accurate, but saying that it's literally one of the worst beers ever? Get real. It doesn't have enough taste to even warrant that kind of description.

I'm going to have to agree with this. I find Cass pretty inoffensive -- although admittedly I'm the kind of person who thinks heavy IPAs taste like shampoo, so maybe I don't have the palate for good beer.

There are certainly much better beers than Cass. But I mean, when I'm scarfing down 삼겹살 and need beer for my 소맥 then Cass works just fine. There are far better beers, but it's far from undrinkable.
Curious, how do you feel about the taste of Majuang?  (I remember when that was the only wine available, and I would rather do without than drink that stuff)

How about straight soju?

I agree with bcs, but if Cass is the only option, I'd drink water, bottled water ;)

• 미국인병
  • Veteran

• 울산
    more
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2017, 01:48:44 pm »

Curious, how do you feel about the taste of Majuang?  (I remember when that was the only wine available, and I would rather do without than drink that stuff)

How about straight soju?

I agree with bcs, but if Cass is the only option, I'd drink water, bottled water ;)

:/ I kinda like both majuang and straight soju. Not crazy about them, but I certainly have no issues drinking them.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2017, 02:14:35 pm »
Sorry, but I have to ignore anyone who likes Majuang.

Take care.

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2017, 04:09:11 pm »
Majuang riesling is surprisingly good. Majuang red wine is so bad it would probably make you go blind, it's basically Sterno in a bottle.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2017, 05:26:39 pm »
Sorry, but I have to ignore anyone who likes Majuang.

Take care.

You are building yourself quite the echo chamber there!