Read 963 times

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Music Videos to Show the Kids
« on: November 16, 2017, 02:59:16 pm »
I want to show my grade 6 kids some good music videos. They hate the song in the book (and rightfully so) so I want to show them the artistic side of music videos. Obv, the songs and the video have to be clean and the music has to be.............. well........... not Gojira or Children of Bodom.

I want things they'll have never had heard before. I have a start of

LCD Soundsystem: DP is Playing at my House
White Stripes: Hardest Button to Button
Radiohead: There There
Chem Bros: Let Forever Be

(Gondry Heavy List haha)

In all honesty, I don't really care if the kids like the music or not, 95% of them are going to be kpop fans and I understand that. But I want to expose them to A) a different styles of music and B) that music videos don't have to be insane spectacles of their idols jumping around in different costumes.

Any ideas?
The joys of fauxtherhood

Re: Music Videos to Show the Kids
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:11:15 pm »
Ok GO.  Always fun to watch - my kids love them.  There are a few of them, all different

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:03:37 pm »
an activity i've done before is to show ok go - this too shall pass
then put them into teams and tell them to write all the objects they see (in english, or write in korean then translate it after) then play it again
winner is the team with most different objects in english

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 10:32:03 pm »
I really want to show them this video, but maybe I should wait until my last day in Korea, it's fantastic:

Otherwise I'd suggest all of OK GO stuff,
A-Punk by Vampire Weekend
Welcome to my world - Kylie Minogue (not a fun, but a well made fun video, she walks around a loop and overlays the footage)

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:38:49 pm »
Also with my middleschoolers, we did an activity with Ed Sheeran's Shape of You and also Sia's Chandelier which are both pretty good music videos considering I don't really listen to chart/pop music

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:19:32 am »
Uptown girl has a catchy beat! I know Korean English teachers used this song for a class, but it was a looong time ago tho.