Read 2884 times

• Triseult
  • Waygookin

• April 28, 2016, 09:06:28 am
    • Gangnam
Hello!

I have a question about E7 visas... I'll call Immigration to be sure (and will report here), but I thought maybe someone else among you fine folks already knows the answer!

I have an E7 visa valid until 2019, but my employer has run out of money and is laying off the staff. I'm now worried my work visa might be invalid and I need to apply for an extension of some kind.

My Korean colleague, however, says that the E7 visa is still valid until the expiry date, and that I could even find another job during that validity period. In other words, I can stay in Korea as long as I want, and my visa is not linked to my current employment status since it is an E7.

Is this accurate? Or is my E7 considered over the second they report my employment as terminated to the Government? I'd hate to unknowingly overstay a work visa...

Thanks! :shocked:

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
Just thinking out loud (no actual experience to draw from), but because you need to submit things like a contract and proof of employment for an E-7 visa it is most likely tied to your employer. If your employer fires you/lays you off I would assume that your visa would also be cancelled and that you would need to find new employment to stay in the country. However, if your employer doesn't tell immigration that you no longer work for them and your contract term is still in effect, there wouldn't necessarily be an issue? I won't trust that to happen, though. As soon as your contract runs out or they let immigration know you have left the company you only have 14 days to leave. I wouldn't risk it and just switch to a D-10 or leave the country, hand in your ARC and come back on a tourist visa to look for other jobs that are hiring E-7s.

Hopefully 1345 can give you a more solid answer, though that definitely isn't what they are known for  :wink: Good luck!

• Triseult
  • Waygookin

• April 28, 2016, 09:06:28 am
    • Gangnam
What you describe is what I presumed, but according to my Korean colleague who deals with foreigner visas, it's different for an E-7. He says I can even get another job on my E-7 while it's still valid and I don't need to leave the country.

If true, that's pretty awesome, but I don't want to take any chances... Gonna call 1345 Monday!

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
I know someone who is on an E-7 visa and his visa is definitely sponsored by his employer (i.e. his visa is tied to his employer).

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Your Korean coworker is mostly incorrect. If you find a job sponsoring E-7s immediately (within the 14 day window) then yes, she/he is correct. However, because in Korea most work visas are owned by employers, you cannot just stay on the visa, unemployed. Do yourself a favor and get the D-10. It will save you from a headache and unnecessary immigration trouble.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• Seansmith
  • Newgookin

• September 05, 2019, 11:55:33 am
    • Seoul
That is true, the E7s are bound to the Employers. As a student , you always get extra visa months. it does not matter when you finish your degree, It is not illegal to stay until the validity on the ARC is met. All they need to know is that the person has changed to another visa type or going back before that expiry date. If you stay after that date , then it is considered as overstaying. 

However, you can have 2 work places  on E7 visa, but the primary work should be the one who offered you that E7 and secondary should be only part time. it cannot exceed working hours of the primary employers.
I am currently in the same situation. I need to change to another visa from E7 .
let me know what happened to you.

thank you

• maxsam95
  • Newgookin

• September 17, 2019, 03:57:14 pm
    • Seoul
May I know abut the updates?