Read 5641 times

Stolen Macbook!
« on: May 09, 2011, 01:37:29 pm »
Hello everyone!

I have just came back to Jeju as an EPIK teacher. I moved into my new place last Saturday, and got my beautiful Macbook stolen in ShinJeju during the move. Please keep an eye out for it, and notify me (010-4731-4626) if you see anyone selling it. If you know of anyway to track it down, I'd love to hear your advice. I'd already notified the police.

It is a Macbook 2008 13.3" Unibody Alumnimum, Full track keypad
160GB, with an all English keyboard, with a charger that has the Korean adaptor outlet.
It looks very new because I had a pink plastic cover case for it, and a keyboard cover too.

Thank you for your help in advance! I'm still praying and haven't given up hope of finding it yet! ^_^

• dmhr25
  • Super Waygook

• October 03, 2010, 04:07:38 pm
    • Incheon
Re: Stolen Macbook!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:43:21 pm »
I'm so sorry that your laptop was stolen.  That's crummy.

I don't want to darken your optimism, but it's likely that you won't get it back.  In this case, you will likely be able to claim it on your (or maybe your parents) homeowner's insurance.  I find most people don't own a home in their home country who teach here, so you may have to rely on using your parent's policy.  I know my homeowner's insurance would cover this situation, partially.

• LokitaMae
  • Adventurer

• December 07, 2010, 07:47:36 am
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 01:51:00 pm »
Did your Macbook have a password on it? Because it is nearly impossible to crack into the system without knowing the password. You would actually have to take it into a Mac store and have the professionals reboot the computer. It is highly unlikely that any Korean here will have that ability unless they work for Mac or are a professional. Maybe you should warn surrounding areas with Mac Store's or Mac booths. For example Techno Mart.

Good Luck!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:55:35 pm »
Unfortunately, I didn't put a password on my Macbook. I never thought about it gettinf stolen, especially in Korea. I'm hoping that a Korean person stole it, and would have to sell it back since all the programs and the keyboard are in English. It has all my data and pictures and everything! (Since it's a 2008 model, I hope the value for it went down a lot so I won't feel so so bad about losing it. )

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:08:42 pm »
Chances of you getting it back are slim to none. It is sad but true. The serial number is your only possible help and even that is slim. Do you have the original paperwork, box, etc.? It should contain the serial number in there. You could contact local Mac stores with the number and see if it turns up. I hate to be a Debbie downer, but realistically it is gone, sorry. Best of luck to you.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 02:09:24 pm »
I used to work at an Apple store. I think you can do a few things. Did you call Apple and report it stolen? Apparently they can put a lock on it so the thief can't use it. Also, as soon as your thief turns it on, the camera will take a picture of him/her.

• dmhr25
  • Super Waygook

• October 03, 2010, 04:07:38 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 02:14:02 pm »
You probably want to do a police report ASAP.  I know that will likely be difficult if you don't know Korean - maybe a coteacher can help.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 02:33:23 pm »
hope you find it..,.did you happen to have your find the macbook app from mobileme? it would track it

• Rutten
  • Veteran

• March 17, 2010, 01:29:44 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 02:34:57 pm »
I used to work at an Apple store. I think you can do a few things. Did you call Apple and report it stolen? Apparently they can put a lock on it so the thief can't use it. Also, as soon as your thief turns it on, the camera will take a picture of him/her.

wow O_O

• Danihel
  • Veteran

• December 07, 2010, 02:40:46 pm
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 03:12:01 pm »
They'll give it back as soon as they realize its a Mac.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 03:21:26 pm »
I am not trying to be Captain Hindsight here, but ALWAYS put a good password on your portable electronics. Don't do a simple "my name" or "my birthday" either, please.

I had my Kindle stolen once at University at the Library. I went to the bathroom and came back to find it missing. I went downstairs to report it missing and came back to find it there. I KNOW I didn't misplace it, because the case was missing from it. I made the password in German with numbers. There was NO way they would crack that.

• tamba_de
  • Adventurer

• December 06, 2010, 10:28:21 am
    • Yanju, South korea
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 03:29:36 pm »
that's hilarious, and I agree, People! do you know what you are paying for? nothing!?!  MAC's use intel processors for F's sake, just learn about computers and get a pc, plus
steve jobs owns a pc.

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 03:35:44 pm »
that's hilarious, and I agree, People! do you know what you are paying for? nothing!?!  MAC's use intel processors for F's sake, just learn about computers and get a pc, plus
steve jobs owns a pc.

I have never had a single issue with my MAC. I have never had a virus, trojan, etc. I like the OSX. I like being able to run windows on it. In my mind, it does everything and more than I want.

This is a battle neither side can win. In the end, it comes down to the consumer/erson. It's just like debates between Chevy or Ford, left or right, black or white (the color, I am not starting anything racist.), democrat or republican, etc. Both sides can spout off numerous things they like or dislike. It's a vain battle.

• bern
  • Veteran

• November 09, 2010, 12:48:34 pm
    • korea
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 03:44:03 pm »
steve jobs owns a pc.

This is like talking to my Dad.

I own both, and have built my own PC from scratch just out of curiosity. I prefer my macs. Why? 'Cos they're nicer. I hope yours finds its way back to you. Coincidentally an iPod I thought was stolen turned up 2 months later, found under the seat in my co-teachers car.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:58:19 pm by bern »
Games for Young Learners : www.smalltalkesl.co m

• jon-anon
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2011, 04:03:23 am
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 12:45:23 pm »
Oh man, I feel for you.  Did it get stolen out of luggage? From a vehicle?  What were the circumstances?  I agree with LokitaMae, it's definitely a good idea to password protect a laptop... It's a bit of a bother to have to log yourself in all the time, but I think it's worth the extra bit of typing to ensure that at least if it is stolen, it will be basically useless to the thief.  Hell, I even set mine up to need the password when it goes to sleep.

Anyone have any opinions about the laptop lock systems out there? Are they any good?  Many of them seem like they could be thwarted by a sturdy pair of wire snips...

• Meggyg1203
  • Explorer

• September 13, 2010, 02:14:57 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 06:11:33 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear that. Any news about it yet?

• ame
  • Super Waygook

• December 02, 2010, 02:58:32 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 06:27:13 pm »
Oh man, I feel for you.  Did it get stolen out of luggage? From a vehicle?  What were the circumstances?  I agree with LokitaMae, it's definitely a good idea to password protect a laptop... It's a bit of a bother to have to log yourself in all the time, but I think it's worth the extra bit of typing to ensure that at least if it is stolen, it will be basically useless to the thief.  Hell, I even set mine up to need the password when it goes to sleep.

Anyone have any opinions about the laptop lock systems out there? Are they any good?  Many of them seem like they could be thwarted by a sturdy pair of wire snips...

The laptop locks are a worthwhile investment.  They stop casual theft, but a determined thief will have tools and could easily snip the cable (but, it slows him down, or makes the next (unlocked) laptop more attractive which is the whole point).

Since laptops are so vulnerable it's worth investigating whole-disk encryption.  Something like TrueCrypt.  It won't get your laptop back, but it will stop anyone looking at your data.  This in conjunction with a regular backup strategy should minimise the heartbreak.

There are various combinations of did/did not encrypt hard drive, did/did not have backup, did/did not recover computer.  The best outcome is that the computer is recovered with no data loss.  The second best is that the HDD was encrypted and a backup exists so the owner can re-install their digital life on a  new one.

Sorry about your loss.  I hope the Plods can get the perp.

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 06:47:24 pm »
steve jobs owns a pc.

This is not a mac vs pc thread. If you are so concerned about which is better, go do some research (because you are clearly lacking in knowledge when it comes to this subject) and then start a debate in a thread.

I second reporting this to apple. They have some security features that should help track down your mac. I believe that each mac(and pc's alike) has a unique hardware signature, so even if the thief formats the drive or changes the HDD, the other hardware will stay the same so they will still be able to locate it.

sorry that this happened. I guess Korea has thieves too...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:49:27 pm by paladin777 »

• rampancy
  • Super Waygook

• March 17, 2011, 07:42:39 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 10:34:14 pm »
Really, the guy just lost what amounts to his whole life on his laptop, and people start getting on their high horse about Windows vs. Mac OS. I can't believe such arrogance.

Anyway, yes, Macs (and PCs I'm pretty sure too) have a unique motherboard-level ID (used for things like authorizing computers with iTunes) and while I haven't heard about it before, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple had a way to track stolen machines using that information. It's still worth going to Apple though to see what they can do. Do you have your MacBook's serial number? It's important to know that so you can prove that you own the machine in question.

Apart from that, I'm hoping you've got backups...
"You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is
my purpose in this universe? (Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)"