Read 3358 times

• busanman
  • Veteran

• July 12, 2011, 12:20:31 pm
    • jinan, South Korea
University positions
« on: November 02, 2017, 11:01:40 am »
Hey Waygookins,
I was wondering, what is the best way to search for university positions? I used Daves ESL but I feel like there are more ways to find positions than just 1 website. If you know any other websites, please let me know!
Cheers!

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Re: University positions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 11:20:02 am »
A LOT of it is networking. People getting their friends in. There is a group on Facebook that lists jobs, but I've only seen one or two on there that weren't on Dave's. Dave's seems to be the primary place legit unis post.
That group is University jobseekers Korea.
Many would say join KOTESOL and schmooze in order to get the insiders knowledge of open positions not posted elsewhere. I'm terrible schmoozer so I left KOTESOL.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• busanman
  • Veteran

• jinan, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 12:04:24 pm »
Okay thanks for the info. I don't  really enough people to network lol. But I'll do whatever I can!

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 12:17:37 pm »
Okay thanks for the info. I don't  really enough people to network lol. But I'll do whatever I can!

What qualificiations and experience do you have? 

• busanman
  • Veteran

• jinan, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 12:26:23 pm »
I have a MA in Spanish and 4 years of teaching experience in Korea.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 12:33:30 pm »

A language based masters and 4 years experince.  If the experience is hagwon basedf, then it is likely to be rejected.  Public school counts at 50%, so 2 years in a middle school is equivalent to 1 year in a UNI.  For most positions, they want 2 years UNI experience or the equivalent with an MA.  This is the minimum, so my advice is to avoid the popualr areas such as Seoul or Busan.  If you can add 2 years UNI experience to your CV, then you may be able to compete with the best of them. 

Think of it as game theory (a beautiful mind); the competition for the blonde is too intense, but her ugly friends will prove less of a challenge, and a notch on the bedpost is a notch on the bedpost!

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 12:45:20 pm »

A language based masters and 4 years experince.  If the experience is hagwon basedf, then it is likely to be rejected.  Public school counts at 50%, so 2 years in a middle school is equivalent to 1 year in a UNI.  For most positions, they want 2 years UNI experience or the equivalent with an MA.  This is the minimum, so my advice is to avoid the popualr areas such as Seoul or Busan.  If you can add 2 years UNI experience to your CV, then you may be able to compete with the best of them. 

Think of it as game theory (a beautiful mind); the competition for the blonde is too intense, but her ugly friends will prove less of a challenge, and a notch on the bedpost is a notch on the bedpost!
Are they still using that rubric? Somehow I don't think most universities are because I have a crap ton of public experience and two MAs and I get loads of of interviews but I can't compete with ppl who have uni experience that unis are requiring in their ads.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 12:48:40 pm »

Are they still using that rubric? Somehow I don't think most universities are because I have a crap ton of public experience and two MAs and I get loads of of interviews but I can't compete with ppl who have uni experience that unis are requiring in their ads.

maybe your demo lessons aren't apt fort university classes, maybe your interview technique isn't on point.  This is just the shortlisting criteria.  The interview is a nothing issue altogether.

edit:  Whilst public school experience can equate to UNI experience, side by side it isn't equal!  UNI experience will always win.  that is why you should apply where the UNI experienced people wont.  Foot in doort and all that...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:50:48 pm by sligo »

• busanman
  • Veteran

• jinan, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 01:22:55 pm »
Since, I have the disadvantage of NOT having any uni experience, I'm trying to get into a position that is low in pay so that I won't compete with people with experience. My problem is that I'm having hard time finding those positions...

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 01:31:46 pm »
There are many reasons why someone may/may not get a uni job. Having been on hiring commitees it can come down to the person's demo lesson more than any thing. Uni expereince is always going to be taken ahead of public school etc. At least to get your foot in the door.

I know for a fact that many rural unis, or even semi rural, like on the outskirts of a medium size city, struggle to get decent applicants. Again, I know people working at unis now who did not meet the requirements given in the ad, but so few people applied they got the job anyway. If you are looking in Seoul or within other big cities, yeah it's going to be very hard.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 01:50:13 pm »
ESLROK and the KOTESOL job board are where I looked. I always feel like the ads posted on Dave's are going to get a huge number of responses, so I try to look at the less popular sites. Plus, Dave's trashy Web 1.0 design makes everything look like spam, even when it's legit.

Last year I also ponied up $30 for a membership to Profs Abroad for three months during the spring/summer hiring season. I ended up with a uni job that was more widely advertised, but I didn't feel that my money was entirely wasted. People complain that it just recirculates jobs that are advertised elsewhere, and while it does do that, I also saw plenty of posts for vacancies that I didn't see on the usual sites.

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 01:54:34 pm »
Oh, and I did try a bit of networking but it was awkward and futile. On the occasions that I did casually ask about vacancies, I felt like my motivations were immediately clear and I was promptly told to "check the usual websites", or that the universities weren't likely to be taking on new foreign teachers any time soon. So, just a word of advice - current staff are probably getting asked about job openings a lot, so approach it delicately.

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Korealand
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 01:55:36 pm »

That old measure of public school or 'equivalency' of experience was debunked long ago.  They want university (full time & verifiable) experience.   If you don't have it, you may find yourself being rejected continuously in the future.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 01:59:31 pm »

That old measure of public school or 'equivalency' of experience was debunked long ago.  They want university (full time & verifiable) experience.   If you don't have it, you may find yourself being rejected continuously in the future.

Yes they do want uni expereince but the equivalency is very much still a thing and have heard it quoted by Korean admin staff as recently as last year.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• busanman
  • Veteran

• jinan, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 04:44:34 pm »
ESLROK and the KOTESOL doesn't seem to have anything. Any  other suggestions?

• jimskins
  • Adventurer

• July 02, 2014, 12:34:19 pm
    • Paju
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 06:03:21 pm »
The last five years or more there has been such a glut of MA TESOL grads, all with teaching experience (public school etc, but not uni) in Korea, that applying for jobs is a complete crapshoot.  In Seoul you have almost no chance without uni experience, and most of these people know that, so have taken the usual advice of, "apply for unis in the middle of nowhere," and made those positions quite competitive too.  Of course you'll hear from someone who got into a Seoul uni with a few years public school experience and no qualifications, but the reality is 99 applications out of a 100 that person wouldn't even get a reply letter now.  I don't like to disuade people, but I think the time has come that people who are thinking about getting an MA TESOL simply to try to get a (first) uni job in Korea need to be told that there's no room left at the inn.  I'm in Seoul and we've had a hiring freeze at our uni for more than 3 years now.  Despite conditions at my uni not being ideal, people don't really leave, as they know they are not guarranteed a place elsewhere.   I'm talking about people with MA TESOLs, good references and several years experience teaching at a uni in Seoul, thinking they will have a hard time getting into another uni.  If that's the case, what chance does someone have with no uni experience?

However you said your MA is in Spanish, so you may not be applying for ELT positions anyway?

To offer some more constructive advice, some unis, especially ones in the sticks, only advertise on their own websites.  Find a list of every uni in Korea, cross off the big / recognisable names, and see if you can locate their websites, and keep checking.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:06:36 pm by jimskins »

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 06:30:52 pm »
people don't really leave, as they know they are not guarranteed a place elsewhere.   I'm talking about people with MA TESOLs, good references and several years experience teaching at a uni in Seoul, thinking they will have a hard time getting into another uni.  If that's the case, what chance does someone have with no uni experience?

I guess the smart thing to do would be not to leave until you have a job somewhere else.

• busanman
  • Veteran

• jinan, South Korea
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 06:58:30 pm »
@jimskins, Thanks for the insight. I don't mind working in the sticks as long as it's a uni job. I know that I have to get some experience from somewhere before getting a better prospect. Also I didn't think about looking through university job opening through their own websites. It would be a big task since there are so many universities in Korea. I guess I should get a list together lol. Thanks again for the tip.

• meldrew
  • Veteran

• December 14, 2014, 10:50:41 pm
    • China
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 10:22:17 pm »
Some interesting information in this thread, I am considering returning to Korea next summer to pursue a university job.

I'll have 5 years of verifiable university experience teaching credit courses in English and Culture in China. I also have 2 and half years experience in Korea.

I have a CELTA and I'll be completing my MA TESOL (distance learning from a proper, decent brick and mortar university) in February. I know that on paper I surpass most of the minimum requirements for university jobs advertised with a caveat; I'm not in-country.

How much of a stumbling block is that? Many adverts say no-skype interviews. Is it worth applying to them anyway on the off chance that they make an exception?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:51:23 pm by meldrew »

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 08:54:07 am »
How much of a stumbling block is that? Many adverts say no-skype interviews. Is it worth applying to them anyway on the off chance that they make an exception?

they won't make an exception.  the uni job market in korea is completely over-saturated. too many people with MA TESOLS in-country to do in-person interviews, not enough positions, unis closing due to bad ratings and/or not enough students.