Read 3326 times

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: University positions
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 09:01:47 am »
How much of a stumbling block is that? Many adverts say no-skype interviews. Is it worth applying to them anyway on the off chance that they make an exception?
Despite what Mr. Positivity above says, exceptions are made if the  applicants in country are not good enough. Doesn't mean they will pay your flight or anything, but it can't hurt to try. It may only be a slim chance, but better than not applying at all.

It doesn't cost anything to apply, so just apply. Chances are that, yes they won't give you a second look when they see you are not in Korea, but you never know. The more you apply for the better your chances of getting interviews are.

Last hiring round I was part of they were set in stone APLLICANTS MUST BE IN COUNTRY. But then they got a couple of outstanding CVs from a guy in Canada and a lawyer in NZ and they dropped that stipulation like a hot potato.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 09:13:09 am »
How much of a stumbling block is that? Many adverts say no-skype interviews. Is it worth applying to them anyway on the off chance that they make an exception?

they won't make an exception.  the uni job market in korea is completely over-saturated. too many people with MA TESOLS in-country to do in-person interviews, not enough positions, unis closing due to bad ratings and/or not enough students.

The one thing that may be on your side IS the rules about MAs.  About 8 years ago, the new rules were put in place as guidelinesd (officially), but were taken as gospel by the universities.  This meant a BA with 4 years of uni experience, or an MA with 2.  The doors were then closed to new people.  This meant that unless you had your experience before, you could not get a job to gain the experience.  When this started, there were an abundance of suitable people.  Forward 8 years, many people have left the country due to whatever reasons, and the "talent pool" diminishes each time.  As no-one can get a uni position to get the experience to get a uni position, unis may decide to look further afield.  This is why the public school experience may be useful. 

We have a situation now where dead wood teachers (hold an MA but are useless at teaching- they see this as easy money and long holidays; my uni has at least 3!) are set as the unis can't fire them as they are either on a hiring freeze, or aware that the replacement choices are not much better.  Funding also plays a massive role.  The unis are given funding by the government based on the credentials of the teachers.  So, a useless MA will bring a lot more funding than an amazing BA.  Koreans love money...

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 09:14:58 am »
Last hiring round I was part of they were set in stone APLLICANTS MUST BE IN COUNTRY. But then they got a couple of outstanding CVs from a guy in Canada and a lawyer in NZ and they dropped that stipulation like a hot potato.

but those two people are not 'dude with generic MA TESOL and some uni experience in China that a Korean uni probably wouldn't even count towards the 2 years requirement'  :wink:

a friend of mine sits on the hiring committee at a rural uni. they pay 2.5 per month. no housing. 8 weeks of vacation, 20 teaching hours per week.

this past summer they got OVER 200 applications. all from in-country people.

yeah there might be a 0.000001% chance that the guy posting here might get a skype interview, but with his quals it's extremely slim.

if he wants a decent chance he needs to come over here to do demo lessons and in-person interviews.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 12:47:55 pm »
I have a MA in Spanish and 4 years of teaching experience in Korea.

A language based masters and 4 years experince.  If the experience is hagwon basedf, then it is likely to be rejected.  Public school counts at 50%, so 2 years in a middle school is equivalent to 1 year in a UNI.  For most positions, they want 2 years UNI experience or the equivalent with an MA.  This is the minimum, so my advice is to avoid the popualr areas such as Seoul or Busan.  If you can add 2 years UNI experience to your CV, then you may be able to compete with the best of them. 

Think of it as game theory (a beautiful mind); the competition for the blonde is too intense, but her ugly friends will prove less of a challenge, and a notch on the bedpost is a notch on the bedpost!
Are they still using that rubric? Somehow I don't think most universities are because I have a crap ton of public experience and two MAs and I get loads of of interviews but I can't compete with ppl who have uni experience that unis are requiring in their ads.

That old measure of public school or 'equivalency' of experience was debunked long ago.  They want university (full time & verifiable) experience.   If you don't have it, you may find yourself being rejected continuously in the future.
Yeah that's what I thought. So I've only applied to schools that say public school experience is acceptable. Some of my interviews didn't even have demos...lol. My demos have always gone over well but in the end I have been told people with uni experience were chosen. It is what it is.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 12:52:16 pm »
Some interesting information in this thread, I am considering returning to Korea next summer to pursue a university job.

I'll have 5 years of verifiable university experience teaching credit courses in English and Culture in China. I also have 2 and half years experience in Korea.

I have a CELTA and I'll be completing my MA TESOL (distance learning from a proper, decent brick and mortar university) in February. I know that on paper I surpass most of the minimum requirements for university jobs advertised with a caveat; I'm not in-country.

Just do what I did 4 years ago take a hagwon job at an off schedule time, work there 3 mos, give your notice one or two months in and then get your LOR and then go work for the university if you get one. Make no mention of the hagwon job, it never existed lol.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.