Read 1255 times

• gir0002
  • Adventurer

• March 07, 2016, 08:22:29 am
    • 안성
I'm planning to leave EPIK - Options?
« on: October 26, 2017, 12:14:48 pm »
So I'm currently finishing my second year with EPIK in a rural city in Gyeonggi-do.

This city has no subway and only intercity buses. I am a Christian and attend church weekly and I currently attend a branch of my home church in Seoul which can take like 1-2 hours each way. The shortest distance to pretty much any international church from this city is about 1 hour.
Due to the nature of the city, it's quite hard to make friends and there's not a lot in terms of clubs or activities. I do have a few friends but we don't meet that often. I can speak decent Korean so I am okay even with making friends who can't speak English but it doesn't change a huge amount.

After almost 2 years like this, I've been feeling really lonely and isolated here. Within the city I spend so much time alone and it's like a real journey to do anything outside of the city. I was doing some volunteer work in Seoul with my church before but I stopped because it was almost 3-4 hours of travelling just for 1 hour of volunteer work. I am getting very tired of living like this.

My school here is amazing and if my situation were more ideal, I would 100% stay here. They really want me to renew as well and my house is nice and big but I feel like I will go crazy if I stay in this city for another year.

I have also applied for EPIK so I could change school but they rejected me and wouldn't tell me the reason which sucks so if I leave this city, I have no choice but to leave EPIK.

I've been looking into different options in Seoul. It sounds like I would have to go for either Hagwon or private school and I might try to get back into EPIK again later on.
I've heard a lot of horror stories of hagwons and private schools which make me nervous. That's one of the main reasons that this is a hard decision for me. I've heard lots of people say stuff like, do research on the school, make sure there's at least 5 native teachers, and other stuff.

I just honestly feel really overwhelmed right now and I don't know where to start.

Has anyone experienced moving from EPIK to private? Any good starting points and links and stuff that would help?

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
Re: I'm planning to leave EPIK - Options?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 01:16:30 pm »
 Star teacher recruits for a private Christian school in Seoul.  You teach English and math and Science to kids. It's similar to the EPIK contract with much more time off. I don't remember the name of the school.

You could work at an International school in China. There are quite a few in Shanghai and Wuxi. They will hire you based on your experience in Korea. You don't need a teachers certificate. You will teach English grammar and one other subject like Math or Science. You will be a homeroom teacher. You might have to mother hen the kids from class to class. Tons of paperwork. However  some people really get into it. Lots of time off no seat warming.

You could just try to get an after school job or hogwan job in Korea. Unfortunately the Uni bridge that was alive and well from 1997 right up to 2005 is a thing of the glory years. That trap door no longer opens unless either you know someone or you have a Masters plus experience

• tori_bird
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2012, 10:33:03 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 02:54:01 pm »
There are some private schools in Seoul that hire directly. One is Gyeseong Elementary in Gangnam. Usually, I see their job posts on Dave's ESL Cafe. I got my current public school job in Seoul through directly applying to them in the same way - because they advertised on Dave's ESL. It's definitely worth a look especially if you want more control over where you work.
Korvia also has some job postings for specific public schools. But personally I think directly applying to the school is a better option then going through a recruiter.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:13:25 am »
This city has no subway and only intercity buses..

...and a subway station is the crucial factor, I find, to feeling connected. The buses are inconvenient.

I think you will have no problem finding employment in Seoul. Most schools -of all types- prefer female teachers. If you specifically want to work at a Christian school there are plenty of them too.

Catch my drift?

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 01:53:38 pm »
Upgrade your level of education and go to The Middle East.

Go back home get a trade in something( truck driving welding) practical or do a community college program.

Stay away from the humanities or liberal arts.