Read 4611 times

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• July 04, 2017, 05:11:57 pm
    • South of Snow
Age limits for applying for jobs
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:48:40 am »
I'd like to know if age limits are imposed for those seeking to work in Korea. I seem to recall the limit was 50 for public schools but is there one for hagwans? My friend is 63 and he's wondering if he can apply in Korea for a gig.

When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
Re: Age limits for applying for jobs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 12:05:43 pm »
I heard it was 64 for public school....NOT SURE check up on it.  China might be a better bet for your friend.  I've gone on vacation and met other vacationers that were ESLing it and they were in their 60s.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 12:11:04 pm »
Yeah pretty sure you have to be under 65 for public schools. Over 65 you may still be able to get a uni or hagwon job though, maybe.

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• South of Snow
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 12:13:10 pm »
Yeah, my friend's been to China, man. As have I. Never again. I cannot imagine a more festering and fetid swamp to work in. The place I worked at looked like a movie set from Saving Private Ryan and the air was greasy from all the coal being burned. A freshly washed head of hair was looking cool for 5 minutes after stepping outside.

I'll tell him to check things out in K-land.

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 01:59:25 am »
EPIK's (read: general public school standard) is a max age of 62 for the duration of your contract. It is my understanding that this goes along with retirement age for Koreans. You confuse the system if you're a foreigner over Korean retirement age from a logistical standpoint, but also because of the social hierarchy. No one really wants the foreigner to be the oldest person in the school/company... it makes it difficult and more uncomfortable to interact with you (the foreigner).

Hagwons and universities *might* be different but I would suspect the same ideas would apply if only because of the Korean retirement age.  Also if your friend is 63 and doesn't have decades of teaching experience already, I would say it is a definite no.

edit: originally incorrectly mentioned your friend's age as 65!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:05:53 am by m.corless »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 06:11:52 am »
Back in 2011 the hagwon I was at was set to hire a South African man in his 40s but he but wanted his mother - who was 69 - to also work there. She was a retired public school teacher with 25+ years experience teaching (not that it should mean squat, I mean, a science teacher in New Zealand with 11 years experience had to drop out of the CELTA program I was in because he was failing and failing badly to learn how to teach English as a 2nd language).

The hagwon director agreed to interview his 69-year-old ex-public school teacher mother and the director was so impressed she fired a Korean teacher and hired her and her son. The funny thing is: The son was a lazy sod who the director was really irked by often but the 69-year-old teacher was beloved by students and fellow teachers alike. She had spunk - real energy - every day and it showed. It was a real loss when she finished her contract and returned home (with her son whom the director by then loathed).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:15:04 am by VanIslander »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 05:51:33 pm »
In a public job like public school and university it's 62.  A hakwon may agree to go over this.  There is some age and looks discrimination.  It was really said to be terrible during the peak of the recession for 4 or 5 years.  I was seeing many young and somewhat attractive teachers around my area.  But, nowadays, I'm seeing many older teachers.  There's a grey haired dude with a white beard and a pony tail walking around my area now.  I have seen older teachers returning after being passed over.

So, your friend can apply if he looks and comes across as energetic.  Have a good job photo and try for the countryside.  He may have to wait awhile and be patient.  But, he'll get something. 

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 06:27:32 pm »
Tell him to just tell EPIK he is 45 years old. That'll shut em up!  And Vanislander learn to write ENglish properly if you've been on a CELTA course......a CELTA programme I was in? Yeh? Were you a movie star or something in a CELTA programme?

A CELTA course that I was on

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 09:57:54 pm »
Tell him to just tell EPIK he is 45 years old. That'll shut em up!  And Vanislander learn to write ENglish properly if you've been on a CELTA course......a CELTA programme I was in? Yeh? Were you a movie star or something in a CELTA programme?

wait, did you just split an infinitive? 

:rolleyes:

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 11:08:01 pm »
china's age limits are actually worse.  The big cities won't give a foreign expert's cert to a woman over 55 or a man over 60.  Older people can still work in the countryside and smaller cities for now though

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 04:04:09 am »

Don't you mean, "didn't you..." :laugh: :laugh:

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 06:59:49 am »
Yeah, my friend's been to China, man. As have I. Never again. I cannot imagine a more festering and fetid swamp to work in. The place I worked at looked like a movie set from Saving Private Ryan and the air was greasy from all the coal being burned. A freshly washed head of hair was looking cool for 5 minutes after stepping outside.

Ah so you went to one place that was bad in China so now the whole of China is a festering and fetid swamp?  Generalising much.  The city I live in is 100x cleaner than Seoul, the people don't spit everywhere, throw trash and vomit all over the streets and subways like I experienced living in Seoul for more than 6 years.

It is a clean modern city with the most friendly people you can imagine. I have never been stared at, spat on, had people get up and sit in another seat after I sat down next to them on the subway and bus, been refused to be served in a restaurant etc. like I was in Seoul.

By the way, I am 64 and got a job here when I was 63. As long as you get your visa and residents permit before you are 65 in my province you are okay.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• South of Snow
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 01:45:53 pm »

Ah so you went to one place that was bad in China so now the whole of China is a festering and fetid swamp?  Generalising much.  The city I live in is 100x cleaner than Seoul, the people don't spit everywhere, throw trash and vomit all over the streets and subways like I experienced living in Seoul for more than 6 years.

It is a clean modern city with the most friendly people you can imagine. I have never been stared at, spat on, had people get up and sit in another seat after I sat down next to them on the subway and bus, been refused to be served in a restaurant etc. like I was in Seoul.

By the way, I am 64 and got a job here when I was 63. As long as you get your visa and residents permit before you are 65 in my province you are okay.

Take it easy, man. I don't see how it's absolute I was talking about the entirety of China, especially considering the next sentence started with, "The place I worked in...".

Not too mention generalising, dude.

Other than the being stared at part, I never experienced any of the other things you described when in Seoul.

I did see, however, on many occasions in China, toddlers squat and defecate on the sidewalks. Sometimes mom would wipe their behinds and throw the tissue beside the pile. Then they'd move on. Once, the action took place a meter away. I got up and split from the eatery I was at. I never saw scenes like that in Korea, man.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 02:37:22 pm »

Don't you mean, "didn't you..." :laugh: :laugh:
1. no i didn't.

3. you have some of the most incomprehensible writing on this website

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 05:52:29 pm »

3. you have some of the most incomprehensible writing on this website
No I do not! I have far superior writing to most people on here. I am older than most people on here too so I went to school when English was instilled into people properly. Oh I forgot, you are winding me up yet again.

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 05:54:24 pm »
PS you didn't even realise you should have said "didn't you just split an infinitive." How BASIC  English you write and know kiddo. Bye

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 09:50:23 pm »
PS you didn't even realise you should have said "didn't you just split an infinitive." How BASIC  English you write and know kiddo. Bye

Jesus, you really are a buffoon!  Congratulations, you have become the most irksome person on this site!

• Kolao
  • Veteran

• South of Snow
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 10:34:46 pm »
Hey man, how did this question evolve / devolve into a bizarre grammar question?

What happened man? I'm not digging it.

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 10:45:45 pm »
Hey man, how did this question evolve / devolve into a bizarre grammar question?

IDK for sure man but it seems Oglop and SLigo know that I earn a good wage in China now (I was previously a slave in Korea for 6 months on 2.3m) and they don't seem to like it so they call me all these horrible names and drag me down into the pits. Why anyone should be a buffoon because they replied in a humourous (humorous) way to Oglop's jibe that I split my infinitive I have no idea. They have nothing to go on except that  they revel in taking the mickey out of me, the former constantly pretending I write English incomprehensibly when in fact I do not and I have been given a green light where I currently teach.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:09:04 pm by internationalteacher »

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 05:43:49 am »

IDK for sure man but it seems Oglop and SLigo know that I earn a good wage in China now (I was previously a slave in Korea for 6 months on 2.3m) and they don't seem to like it so they call me all these horrible names and drag me down into the pits. Why anyone should be a buffoon because they replied in a humourous (humorous) way to Oglop's jibe that I split my infinitive I have no idea. They have nothing to go on except that  they revel in taking the mickey out of me, the former constantly pretending I write English incomprehensibly when in fact I do not and I have been given a green light where I currently teach.

Did you have much luck with that 'English teacher only available in Korea for a week, must pay my air fare from China' ad?