Read 4151 times

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
Re: Public school to Hagwon - Does experience count?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 08:53:36 am »
 I remember when I worked at my 9-6:30pm hellwon, they used to have us teach kindies from 9am to 1:30pm (I believe) it was with only 12 to 1 being their lunch time.  But the whole time my school was expecting Korean age 5 year olds (aka 4 yr olds) to be expected to be seated, take pencil to paper, and write looooong sentences in workbooks that had to be completed by a certain deadline.  I'm talking we were making them do CORNERSTONE books.  CORNERSTONE for 4 year olds?!?!?  Even though it was the lowest of the lowest level of books, having 4 years write big long sentences proved very difficult for them. Especially in a language that is not their own.   AND THEN to top that off we got accused of being a bad teacher because we had students who cried constantly and then eventually dropped.   So thus WE the teachers were bad for the hakwon because we lost them business.   I got blamed for not being 'FUN ENOUGH, NOT ENGAGING IN MORE SKIN-SHIP, and overall just being a boring teacher.'  I was even asked by the director if "I hate kids?"  I don't know but do you think maybe it's because we ask 4 year olds to sit in a desk for 3 hours and do nothing but writing!  How am I suppose to be the 'FUN TEACHER' if I have to complete books on a deadline and I'm not allowed to have the kids roll around on the floor and BE KIDS!   I once got reprehended because I had students making a poster on the floor because I thought it was better because working on the desk was too difficult for them to share all the poster space together.  Even singing and dancing was frowned upon.  I was told to stop playing the cd provided book songs too often because I'm NOT A MUSIC TEACHER.  I remember a guy was let go because he would bring in his guitar and sing to the children rather than do any of the required book work. 

With public school, I'm only required to used the government issued book in the morning and then during the afternoon classes use that time to focus on where the students have weaknesses.  If I see they are struggling with writing, I will plan to have a writing class.  If I see reading is their weakness, I will dedicate a whole month to reading a low level book to build confidence.  AND ALL OF THIS IS DONE WITH NO DEADLINES IN MIND, so I get to give more individualized attention to the students.  With some hakwons, it's more about pushing through and get the damn books done without real ways to see if students are actually retaining the information.   Sure we used "British Council" test to see how the kids were doing but A LOT OF THE TIMES the students had to be coached to find the right answer. (Oh MinChe are you sure B is the right answer for number 2.   Go back and check your work again) I would say that about 3 times until little Minche chose the right answer.  HOW IS THAT LEARNING!?!?  The school just wanted us to try and get all the students to make prefect marks so it looks good for the parents!!!  And don't get me started on monthly comments sent home to parents.  UGH there is only so many ways you can say "you're child is doing great" about a child that throws pencil cases and erasers at other students.  :huh: :rolleyes: 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:56:57 am by Piggydee »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 09:11:22 am »
OH AND P.S. when some hakwons do "have fun" it's really just an hour long photo session.  I remember when we did "Halloween"  it was just 15 mins of kids "trick or treating"  (they would knock on the door of one classrooms that had candy) and then go to another room to be "spooked" by a male NET who had a cheap Emart wolf mask on.  And then it was to the "gym room" to have all the students sit down in a line while one by one they all had three photos taken of them so we could post to the parents online.  WOW such fun.....Most of the kids were bored out of their gourd and trying to run around and have fun.  Which I also got yelled at about because I was suppose to have my kids sit, quietly and wait for their turn for photos.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't get me started on what we did for "Earth Day."  I will give you a hint.  IT INVOLVED A LOT OF DSLR camera work and posing with a potted plant. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 
I'm amazed I didn't hang myself that year  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:12:57 am by Piggydee »

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 09:56:58 am »
Korean Korean hagwons are the worst form of soul sucking. I worked for a Canadian hagwon and while in general still think the idea of hagwons is awful, that hagwon at least believed in kids being kids and you know what? They learned. They were fluent by 3rd grade. I subbed at a Korean Korean "Christian" hagwon over winter and those kids were miserable and said as much.

I remember when I worked at my 9-6:30pm hellwon, they used to have us teach kindies from 9am to 1:30pm (I believe) it was with only 12 to 1 being their lunch time.  But the whole time my school was expecting Korean age 5 year olds (aka 4 yr olds) to be expected to be seated, take pencil to paper, and write looooong sentences in workbooks that had to be completed by a certain deadline.  I'm talking we were making them do CORNERSTONE books.  CORNERSTONE for 4 year olds?!?!?  Even though it was the lowest of the lowest level of books, having 4 years write big long sentences proved very difficult for them. Especially in a language that is not their own.   AND THEN to top that off we got accused of being a bad teacher because we had students who cried constantly and then eventually dropped.   So thus WE the teachers were bad for the hakwon because we lost them business.   I got blamed for not being 'FUN ENOUGH, NOT ENGAGING IN MORE SKIN-SHIP, and overall just being a boring teacher.'  I was even asked by the director if "I hate kids?"  I don't know but do you think maybe it's because we ask 4 year olds to sit in a desk for 3 hours and do nothing but writing!  How am I suppose to be the 'FUN TEACHER' if I have to complete books on a deadline and I'm not allowed to have the kids roll around on the floor and BE KIDS!   I once got reprehended because I had students making a poster on the floor because I thought it was better because working on the desk was too difficult for them to share all the poster space together.  Even singing and dancing was frowned upon.  I was told to stop playing the cd provided book songs too often because I'm NOT A MUSIC TEACHER.  I remember a guy was let go because he would bring in his guitar and sing to the children rather than do any of the required book work. 

With public school, I'm only required to used the government issued book in the morning and then during the afternoon classes use that time to focus on where the students have weaknesses.  If I see they are struggling with writing, I will plan to have a writing class.  If I see reading is their weakness, I will dedicate a whole month to reading a low level book to build confidence.  AND ALL OF THIS IS DONE WITH NO DEADLINES IN MIND, so I get to give more individualized attention to the students.  With some hakwons, it's more about pushing through and get the damn books done without real ways to see if students are actually retaining the information.   Sure we used "British Council" test to see how the kids were doing but A LOT OF THE TIMES the students had to be coached to find the right answer. (Oh MinChe are you sure B is the right answer for number 2.   Go back and check your work again) I would say that about 3 times until little Minche chose the right answer.  HOW IS THAT LEARNING!?!?  The school just wanted us to try and get all the students to make prefect marks so it looks good for the parents!!!  And don't get me started on monthly comments sent home to parents.  UGH there is only so many ways you can say "you're child is doing great" about a child that throws pencil cases and erasers at other students.  :huh: :rolleyes:
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 10:59:35 am »
If you do work at a hagwon definitely look carefully at the contract.

- make sure the "hours worked" section clearly states what your schedule would be like. Ask lots of questions, like how many classes will you have and how many breaks you'll have. If the overall schedule (classes plus breaks) are more than 40 hours, you can do better. If this section isn't clearly stated they will just keep giving you more and more classes.

- make sure there is an overtime clause that makes sense, otherwise they will walk all over you and expect you to stay late or come in on weekends. If you have a clear OT clause they will probably never ask you to do either.

- also make sure there is a section that mentions the "school schedule" because this affects your class schedule and the overtime clause. Often schools will be clear about the class schedule but not list a start/end time for the school, and then tell you that actually your last class finishes an hour later than you were told the school closes, and there's not much you can do because your start/finish time wasn't written into the contract.

-  make sure public health insurance benefits and pension benefits are clearly stated.

There are lots of clauses that you have to be careful about but these four ones are major ones that I have seen or heard of many schools being dodgy about.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit