Read 3021 times

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Pyeongtaek's Camp Humphrey Area has some great eats!
« on: October 11, 2017, 12:17:37 pm »
Ok, I agree with some posters that this forum has been somewhat on the wane, and since I am guilty of not posting things that I find interesting, it's about time up I put up.
The things I look for the most are posts that steer me to some event or place rather than a discussion on some current event that devolves into an argument between the angry CAPS LOCK girl or the miserable every post dwellers.  So, here goes.

I've been here quite a long time and am always up for getting out and finding new things.  For some reason I had never been to the Camp Humphreys Area in Pyeongtaek.  I didn't even realise it was the biggest US base in Korea.  Went there in late spring and was amazed to find a bunch of one off great western food spots.  There is an American-Chinese place that has an extensive menu and manages to do what Panda Express couldn't, which is make me want to go back.  The guy who started up Chili King in Itaewon years ago is now down there with a new spot serving his chili and burgers along with an assortment of comfort foods.  There is El Gitano, a chipotle style Tex Mex place.  There is Juicy Burger, run by the El Gitano folk that aims to be a Five Guys.  There is Tailgate, a sports bar/restaurant that looks like it belongs on the side of a road in the 'burbs back home. The burgers are fantastic. If I get there a bit earlier next time, I'll get the roast beef au jus lunch special.  Italian place with great sandwiches. A few Indian spots I want to try. There are a lot of other spots that are on my list to try including some foreign standards from Itaewon like Suji's and Braii Republic. 

Anyways, this is the kind of stuff I look to find on this site, so instead of complaining about the quality of posts, I thought I should make one.  A lot of people were probably well aware of what was on offer down there, but it was new to me.

*to clarify, this is not on the base but outside it.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:03:55 pm by OnNut81 »

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Pyeongtaek's Camp Humphrey Area has some great eats!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 12:24:55 pm »
Most of us can't get on the base.

• Pixie Dust
  • Newgookin

• September 26, 2017, 07:31:15 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 12:48:25 pm »
The eating places are base adjacent and open to the public. I've only been once but made a mental note to go back and try some of the yummy smelling places.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 12:59:01 pm »
Neither can I.  This is the area outside the base that caters to the Army guys when they're off base.  Anyone can go.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 01:09:46 pm »
Ok, I agree with some posters that this forum has been somewhat on the wane, and since I am guilty of not posting things that I find interesting, it's about time up I put up.
The things I look for the most are posts that steer me to some event or place rather than a discussion on some current event that devolves into an argument between the angry CAPS LOCK girl or the miserable every post dwellers.  So, here goes.

I've been here quite a long time and am always up for getting out and finding new things.  For some reason I had never been to Camp Humphreys in Pyeongtaek.  I didn't even realise it was the biggest US base in Korea.  Went there in late spring and was amazed to find a bunch of one off great western food spots.  There is an American-Chinese place that has an extensive menu and manages to do what Panda Express couldn't, which is make me want to go back.  The guy who started up Chili King in Itaewon years ago is now down there with a new spot serving his chili and burgers along with an assortment of comfort foods.  There is El Gitano, a chipotle style Tex Mex place.  There is Juicy Burger, run by the El Gitano folk that aims to be a Five Guys.  There is Tailgate, a sports bar/restaurant that looks like it belongs on the side of a road in the 'burbs back home. The burgers are fantastic. If I get there a bit earlier next time, I'll get the roast beef au jus lunch special.  Italian place with great sandwiches. A few Indian spots I want to try. There are a lot of other spots that are on my list to try including some foreign standards from Itaewon like Suji's and Braii Republic. 

Anyways, this is the kind of stuff I look to find on this site, so instead of complaining about the quality of posts, I thought I should make one.  A lot of people were probably well aware of what was on offer down there, but it was new to me.

Nice man! To the poster above, there are many places outside of the base, so base access isn't needed at all. If you really want to enjoy some other spots, consider heading to Osan Air Base, which is in Osan (Songtan), and a bit of a ways away. There are so many spots hit around there. You can also pull a late night and get a cheap motel around there for 35,000, but if you ask about paying cash and a discount, can usually get it for 30,000. Usually all of the military guys and families are out, then it changes a bit when curfew hits, but many places stay open as there are many people that are contractors, Korean, or from another country, that are still out. If you aren't travelling by car, you can take a short taxi ride from the Songtan bus terminal, or Sontang Subway stop.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 01:49:11 pm »
Songtan is good.  Spent a lot of time there over the years, but I have to say I really have been enjoying the food in Pyeongtaek.  It's a nice taste of the west.  And wandering around some of the back roads is like being in an American suburb.  Tree lined streets and new houses with yards, grills and the smell of Kingsford briquettes in the air.

• Enzo
  • Adventurer

• January 20, 2015, 07:44:27 pm
    • Cape Town
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 02:06:09 pm »
I can definitely recommend trying Braai Republic. Great food (Meat selection is amazing if you are a meat lover). Amazing lamb, sausages and the ribs are awesome.

It is real authentic South African and worth the visit for sure.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 07:35:36 am »
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH IT'S SOOOOO FAR THOUGH......  BUT YES THEY DO HAVE GREAT EATS!!  BUT SERIOUSLY YOU FEEL LIKE YOUR WHOLE LIFE AS BEEN SPENT ON THE SUBWAY ALONE. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH.....

But I need to go to JJ's cafe there.  I really need to make a move of it!

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 09:51:38 am »
Ha, nice with the caps locks!  What's at JJ's cafe?  I come from the Gunpo/Anyang area so I just switch to a passeneger train at Suwon and it's 20 minutes to Pyeongtaek station.  I hate riding the subway for a longtime.  The trains are cheap and frequent.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:59:11 am »
Ha, nice with the caps locks!  What's at JJ's cafe?  I come from the Gunpo/Anyang area so I just switch to a passeneger train at Suwon and it's 20 minutes to Pyeongtaek station.  I hate riding the subway for a longtime.  The trains are cheap and frequent.

JJ's was featured on Korean TV and they have deep fried oreos and other country fair type stuff.  I'm not too sure.  I know for a fact I am not giving justice to the description I'm giving you but I know for a fact that they are popular down there.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 10:48:44 am »
i've never been to pyeongtaek.  is it pretty easy to find all these places to eat at once you get there?  i am in need of some new places to eat

:lipsrsealed:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 11:35:53 am »

You should join Anyang Meet and Eat on FB! I'm an organiser.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 11:48:32 am »
Once you get to the main gate/pedestrian entrance of the base it'll be pretty obvious where the commercial area is.  It's fairly contained, other than the well worth it Tailgate Tavern being a bit of a stroll.  You need to catch the 20 bus from Pyeongtaek station.  It's actually faster to go out the back entrance, walk straight down to a T intersection (five minutes) and catch it there.  Depending on traffic it's a 10 or 20 minute ride. They announce when you're coming to the base but it'll be pretty obvious. When it's on your left, hop off.

CO2: I don't FB too much, but I should try and circulate a bit more in Gunpo.  I've just been in the area for quite a few years and sometimes have the urge to get out of Dodge.  So, the last while it's been out to hike/explore the Oido area and down to Pyeongtaek for eats.

• viennica
  • Adventurer

• March 12, 2013, 04:02:28 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 01:02:42 pm »
Nut, other Anyang Meet and Eat organizer here. All the events are posted in our FB group there (easiest way for you to see who's going), but message one of us and we can let you know when the next one goes down. We do 1-2 each week, usually dinners or some sort of adventure on the weekends. :)
Anyang Meet and Eat, our group of ridiculously fun people with a food problem. https://www.facebook.com/groups/334717196908236/

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 01:35:59 pm »
Nut, other Anyang Meet and Eat organizer here. All the events are posted in our FB group there (easiest way for you to see who's going), but message one of us and we can let you know when the next one goes down. We do 1-2 each week, usually dinners or some sort of adventure on the weekends. :)

So many meetings makes me hard.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• viennica
  • Adventurer

• March 12, 2013, 04:02:28 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 01:41:29 pm »

And now no one's coming to our group, lol.
Anyang Meet and Eat, our group of ridiculously fun people with a food problem. https://www.facebook.com/groups/334717196908236/

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 01:48:24 pm »

And now no one's coming to our group, lol.

Come for the food, stay for thew inside jokes!
The joys of fauxtherhood

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 02:31:03 pm »
Ok, if you end up doing a dinner trip to Pyeongtaek let me know.  There's a lasagna I keep sseeing advertised I want to try.  I try to head down after school about once every couple of weeks.  Breaks the week up nicely. 

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 12:26:13 pm »
PiggyDee:

JJ's was featured on Korean TV and they have deep fried oreos and other country fair type stuff.  I'm not too sure.  I know for a fact I am not giving justice to the description I'm giving you but I know for a fact that they are popular down there.

Ok, I've seen this place a number of times. Noticed yesterday that it was called J.J.'s. American Diner.  They had all day breakfasts and chicken and waffles advertised.  Chicken and waffles must be eaten in a part of the states I've never been. 

On a side note I went to a place called Stoop and had an excellent chicken parm hoagie.  It was big and only 9500 won.

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 12:41:40 pm »
went there last weekend. thanks for the directions on finding the place.  i had the chicken and waffles.  it's been awhile for me to have some comfort food like that.  next time i go there, i'm going to hit up the american chinese restaurant.  not going to lie, i miss me some american chinese food.  hopefully, they'll have the crab puffs. 

i saw jj's diner.  place looked dirty and run down from outside.  is that just how it normally looks?  i still want to try it out at a later time but wasn't sure if maybe it's a place that's gone downhill or what.  love me some chicken and waffles.

;D